X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UML 2011-2012 Thread: Part II

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
    It's fun to see what the students come up with each game now. More and more are dressing up which makes it fun. The guy with the beard who was wearing the evening dress on Friday was funny. I also loved the noise they made at the end of the Maine game when Lowell was trying to tie it. Great job!!
    This. SOmeone needs to tell me what the big yellow costume was. I thought it had feathers or a teletubby. Lil thought it was the Gorton's Fisherman.

Who started the grow one for Dougie? Someone had crocheted a red, white, and blue beard for the Riverhawk. I loved the Batgirl with a beard. Was at church and one of the folks was there last night and wondered why the people thought it was normal for Batgirl to have a beard

Comment

• Originally posted by John_Fuller View Post
      I thought the River Hawks played decently last night but simply failed to cash in on their half dozen chances that I saw either hit crossbars, into Sullivan's breadbasket, hop over sticks, or was just "this much" off. The passing that was wonderful during the Merrimack game was simply a bit off, especially during the second and third periods. It was a physical game and Maine simply trapped their way to victory; they were the aggressors in the second and third periods, and I think simply that they were the team that was the more desperate of the two. Maine's third and fourth lines were the difference makers; while the top line of Abbott, Flynn, and rat-bastard Diamond were held in check, the remaining three lines were a hair better than Lowell. Mangene was everywhere last night and had a really good game. The third period reminded me of the third period of the Providence game where Maine held three/four/even five guys back. Sure, Maine's power play did score the GW goal, but it was a better discilpine and a more physical prowess that won them the game. Lowell to me simply ran out of the emotional gas after defeating Merrimack on the previous eveving. It was a concern of mine even before the series to face them and Maine in the same weekend, but at least we got the most important game in my mind.

I'm somewhat disappointed with my city last night as a whole last night. For the past 16 years, this city has been itching at the trigger to have a team that is at and/or near the top of the Hockey East standings this time of the year. Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about the students here, this is more in-line with the community response. There was a noticeable difference in atmosphere between the Merrimack game Friday to the Maine game last night. I'm sorry -- 4600 people (with at least 1/4 to 1/3 Maine fans) simply doesn't cut it for a first place team that had shattered all expectations. They are and have been winning for the majority of the year and the Mill City has an opportunity to redeem itself mightly on Friday. Anything under 6000K for that one would be unquestionably a sad story to report. The River Hawks have answered the bell all year long after tough losses....it's time for the city to do the same thing on Friday with BU in undoubtably the biggest game this town has seen since that cold January evening in North Billerica in 1996.
      Don't overlook the fact that Winterfest was going on right outside. It certainly has an impact.
      Lowell Forever
      Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
        Don't overlook the fact that Winterfest was going on right outside. It certainly had an impact.
        Point well taken and not much argument can be given here. Hopefully, there was some cross-promotion because I nothing screams winter like ice hockey. It wasn't a total failure as it still was a nice crowd but there was a sense of some disappointment given the event of the past year (and several for that matter). My girlfriend (who started to go to games this season) probably said it best. Her quote from Friday after the disallowed goal was "That's the loudest I've heard this place" to Saturday "I can't believe all of the Maine fans here...it's not as fun as last night".

I've called out "you students" in the past so I would be remiss not to do the same thing when the students came to bat and then some this weekend. This has been a storybook season as we all know, winning consistently hasn't been a hallmark of this program for over a decade and a half. Hopefully, this type of season is a preview of things to come for this school for a very long time but at the same time, you have to embrace your team when they are doing well. We only need to go back to a certain disallowed goal in March 2009 to see the free-fall that ended in March 2011. I'm thankful that it's been corrected and paid in full, with interest,

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
        Lowell has come a long way with their fan support though.
        Yes, we have over the past 5-10 years, it has, especially since Lowell's had three of of four successful (by our terms) seasons. The hard part is that no one knew this program would be light-years ahead of expectations with three weekends remaining. I've had the pleasure of seeing Lowell in the NCAA's and I'm sure that Monty (UMLFan) and others who were in E. Lansing would agree 100% that it's something we would like to share with the hundreds of River Hawk fans on this board and who paid their dues to see this moment.

Originally posted by Go-UML View Post
        Agreed....that really needs to be addressed. I'm sure it's interfering with concerts and stuff too.
        Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
        Good post John. Agree, it would be nice to get 6,000 in the Tsongas Friday night. The students are doing their part. Hopefully Chaz /The Sun will start building this series up in the press by mid week for a change . This is a huge weekend for the program.

Also, I hope they fix the scoreboard, I'm not sure what the problem is but it's been going on for several games now. I saw Marty at the Maine game, I'm sure he can be happy with it.
        Thanks, Bob. Biggest regular-season series weekend in the D-I history for the program. Win on Friday night and this bad loss goes away. You and Gary are right, if they don't have the scoreboard fix , I may start a "Bring back Lite-Brite...clap, clap, clap clap clap...
        Last edited by John_Fuller; 02-12-2012, 08:50 PM.
        - John

2013, 2014, 2017: UML Hockey: Hockey East Champions!

Comment

Not to knock Bucky further (IMO, he's right to call out there "adults" to some extent), but I can remember when there was only a small handful of us students who made it to the games regularly.

There are many places on the road to the current success. I know that we've all had various parts in doing that.

I still think the master stroke of genius was rooming the 2002-03 freshmen class in Fox Hall with the other freshmen in the "special" program. I think the run of things with the students turned around right there and then.
          Last edited by Patman; 02-12-2012, 09:00 PM.
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by malz2000 View Post
            I'm pretty sure hitch hiking is not allowed on I-95!
            It isn't. So sorry we'll miss you. If you can work those rabbit ears just right you might be able to watch the game.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Originally posted by John_Fuller View Post
              Point well taken and not much argument can be given here. Hopefully, there was some cross-promotion because I nothing screams winter like ice hockey.
              They were giving out free ticket coupons at the chocolate tasting. We used three of them.
              Gary

www.umlhockey.com
              Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
              "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
              KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

They were giving out free ticket coupons at the chocolate tasting. We used three of them.
                The folks at church used them too and had a blast!

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                  The folks at church used them too and had a blast!
                  Awesome
                  Gary

www.umlhockey.com
                  Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
                  "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
                  KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

They were giving out free ticket coupons at the chocolate tasting.
                    *drool*

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

HE Defensive Player of the Week ... Mr. Doug Carr!
                      Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                      2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                      2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                      2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                      2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

UML riding Carr to revival, Boston Herald.
                        Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                        2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

UML moves up a spot to #6 in the USCHO rankings. And our opponents this weekend are #2, while BC moves to 3rd, Merrimack is #7 and Maine to #11.

5 Hockey East teams in the Top 11, impressive.

So #6 vs #2 in Hockey East for a home and home this weekend, man this should be fun.

According to INCH, Lowell dropped a spot to #6.
                          Monty

Comment

I feel like I am in an alternate universe.

Comment

One year ago from this upcoming weekend, we were mathematically eliminated from the HE playoffs. Now we are batting for the right to own first place in our barn for another day and move a gigantic step closer to home ice by winning the tiebreaker against BU. I wonder what would have been the odds for that?
                              - John

2013, 2014, 2017: UML Hockey: Hockey East Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by John_Fuller View Post
                                One year ago from this upcoming weekend, we were mathematically eliminated from the HE playoffs. Now we are batting for the right to own first place in our barn for another day and move a gigantic step closer to home ice by winning the tiebreaker against BU. I wonder what would have been the odds for that?
                                As I told Bob on Saturday night prior to the game, this feels like a movie.

In HE play this weekend, there are a couple of just huge matchups, obviously including ours. BC (tied for second in HE) and Merrimack (4th) also have a home and home, starting at Chestnut Hill on Friday. Maine (5th) hosts UMass for two...

A weekend split all around would leave Lowell in first place for yet another week. Not implying I want a split of course...
                                Monty

Comment

Working...
                                X