Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston College Season Thread: PART II

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Boston College Season Thread: PART II

    Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
    . If you made a rule that said players had to be 19 or younger when starting, the product on the ice would be a lot worse than it already is. It isn't as good as it was a decade ago even.
    This is true. But on the flip side of that argument, the product would also be a lot better if we, for instance, paid the players. Or signed professional adult hockey players and put them in jerseys that say "Boston College" or "New Hampshire" and they "represented" the schools but weren't actually students. And there's already a great product available down the road if you wanna buck up a little more and buy some NHL tickets.

    Ultimately the issue that I and many have with the very-over-aged players trend is that college hockey is supposed to be about amateur kids playing hockey representing their school and their classmates. Is this an overly romantic view of college hockey/college sports? Yeah, sure. It's about winning. And if BC basketball could recruit 25 year old Germans and Slovakians and suddenly become competitive in a sport we get outrecruited in, I'd want the coach to do that. But that wouldn't make it right. Just because something improves the quality of the product doesn't make it right, if college sports are supposed to mean anything at all beyond something to do on a Friday night.
    BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
    -
    Boston College Class of 2010

    Comment


    • Re: Boston College Season Thread: PART II

      Originally posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post
      This is true. But on the flip side of that argument, the product would also be a lot better if we, for instance, paid the players. Or signed professional adult hockey players and put them in jerseys that say "Boston College" or "New Hampshire" and they "represented" the schools but weren't actually students. And there's already a great product available down the road if you wanna buck up a little more and buy some NHL tickets.

      Ultimately the issue that I and many have with the very-over-aged players trend is that college hockey is supposed to be about amateur kids playing hockey representing their school and their classmates. Is this an overly romantic view of college hockey/college sports? Yeah, sure. It's about winning. And if BC basketball could recruit 25 year old Germans and Slovakians and suddenly become competitive in a sport we get outrecruited in, I'd want the coach to do that. But that wouldn't make it right. Just because something improves the quality of the product doesn't make it right, if college sports are supposed to mean anything at all beyond something to do on a Friday night.
      Hear f*c*i*g hear

      I know others on this thread took pride in hearing the starting lineups in the Beanpot of:

      California, Minnesota, Canada, New York, New York, Canada

      vs

      Mass, Mass, Mass, Mass, CT, PA

      And where the teams' leading scorers were from:

      Canada, California, Minnesota, NY, Canada

      vs

      Mass, CT, Mass, NJ, Mass


      Where do you draw the line with the older players?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post
        This is true. But on the flip side of that argument, the product would also be a lot better if we, for instance, paid the players. Or signed professional adult hockey players and put them in jerseys that say "Boston College" or "New Hampshire" and they "represented" the schools but weren't actually students. And there's already a great product available down the road if you wanna buck up a little more and buy some NHL tickets.

        Ultimately the issue that I and many have with the very-over-aged players trend is that college hockey is supposed to be about amateur kids playing hockey representing their school and their classmates. Is this an overly romantic view of college hockey/college sports? Yeah, sure. It's about winning. And if BC basketball could recruit 25 year old Germans and Slovakians and suddenly become competitive in a sport we get outrecruited in, I'd want the coach to do that. But that wouldn't make it right. Just because something improves the quality of the product doesn't make it right, if college sports are supposed to mean anything at all beyond something to do on a Friday night.
        That went down smooth...
        Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
        Senior Writer & Women's Hockey Editor, BC Interruption
        Twitter: @Salzano14


        Click here for the BC Interruption Projection, Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

        Comment


        • Re: Boston College Season Thread: PART II

          Apparently Dumoulin is 50/50 for tonight with a bruised knee, was limited in practice yesterday

          I don't believe he's missed a game in his 3 years here
          Last edited by claver2010; 03-02-2012, 09:09 AM.

          Comment


          • Re: Boston College Season Thread: PART II

            Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
            Apparently Dumoulin is 50/50 for tonight with a bruised knee, was limited in practice yesterday

            I don't believe he's missed a game in his 3 years here
            hope the injury bug isnt hitting us late, we have been very lucky this year in terms of that.......hope Jerry sits him, we shouldnt need him this weekend
            *****

            Comment


            • Re: Boston College Season Thread: PART II

              Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
              hope Jerry sits him, we shouldnt need him this weekend
              Agreed.

              No offense to UVM but it's not worth it. Make sure everyone is healthy. For us to make a deep run he's necessary, I'd say he's the most valuable player on the team.

              Comment


              • Re: Boston College Season Thread: PART II

                Originally posted by claver2010 View Post

                I'd say he's the most valuable player on the team.
                I would agree with that
                *****

                Comment


                • Re: Boston College Season Thread: PART II

                  Ho hum 5-1 win, UVM tried to goon it up a little towards the end which is my fear for tomorrow.

                  Thanks for nothing NU, 2 more points tomorrow

                  Comment


                  • Re: Boston College Season Thread: PART II

                    Ho hum 5-1 win, UVM tried to goon it up a little towards the end which is my fear for tomorrow.

                    Thanks for nothing NU, 2 more points tomorrow

                    Comment


                    • Re: Boston College Season Thread: PART II

                      Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                      Ho hum 5-1 win, UVM tried to goon it up a little towards the end which is my fear for tomorrow.

                      Thanks for nothing NU, 2 more points tomorrow
                      This is fun, though! Like holding a dog biscuit just inches from a dog's mouth and not letting him have it. Especially fun with Terriers.

                      Comment


                      • Re: Boston College Season Thread: PART II

                        Minn-Duluth lost last night.
                        sigpicHalf of what he says goes way over my head. The other half goes way, way over my head."

                        Comment


                        • Re: Boston College Season Thread: PART II

                          Originally posted by jdevoejr View Post
                          Minn-Duluth lost last night.
                          And they gained ground in the PWR.
                          Beating UVM isn't helping, but losing to them would be much worse.

                          What a pass by Smith to Linell for BC's 2nd and GWG. This line is going to do some damage moving forward.
                          'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

                          Comment


                          • Re: Boston College Season Thread: PART II

                            no help on the scoreboard last night.......................and i agree FiveHole, i love watching that 4th line. the foot on the gas for the entire shift they are out there . it's been great watching them improve literally game to game
                            *****

                            Comment


                            • Re: Boston College Season Thread: PART II

                              Dumoulin took an absolute shot in the 3rd and he wasn't happy about it, stayed down for a little and after the whistle went right after that clown #10 who looked like he was enjoying himself in the box down 4-1 65 minutes away from golfing season.
                              Last edited by claver2010; 03-03-2012, 08:22 AM.

                              Comment


                              • Re: Boston College Season Thread: PART II

                                Gotta like the way the 4th line has been playing lately. Am now starting to think that Linell, Straight and Smith can be major contributors next year, which is important as we'll be losing some goal scoring with Almeida, Carey and likely Kreider gone.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X