Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMaine - 2011-2012 Season Thread (cont) - Beating Back the Internuts ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine - 2011-2012 Season Thread (cont) - Beating Back the Internuts ?

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    Fun time in Alfond, pretty vocal crowd. Maine had the edge for most of the game. Haven't seen them play this physically in years. I hope the kid that Swavely hit is ok, I couldn't see the actual hit but someone told me it was brutal and very cheap? If so doubt Swavely plays tomorrow. Not sure when Joey figures out he is needed on the ice and not in the box, that was one sweet goal as was Kyles. I think Canata must have started to move for the pass when Kyle let it go. That line of Mangene, Beattie and Shamansky had a great shift with about 5 minutes left in the game, folks were out of gas but that was one great shift. Sully made the saves he should have and a few that changed the game for Maine. Cornell had a heck of a game
    Saw the hit. It looked unintentional from my view. Swavely was moving with the play and the Merrimack player was in an awkward position. At least that was my initial impression. If it was intentional it probably would have been a game misconduct.

Comment

...interrupting originally scheduled hockey talk, this just in: Nyquist assists on the game winner tonight with under a min. left in the game as the Red Wings beat the Kings 4-3. now back to you're previously scheduled entertainment...

Comment

Fun time in Alfond, pretty vocal crowd. Maine had the edge for most of the game. Haven't seen them play this physically in years. I hope the kid that Swavely hit is ok, I couldn't see the actual hit but someone told me it was brutal and very cheap? If so doubt Swavely plays tomorrow. Not sure when Joey figures out he is needed on the ice and not in the box, that was one sweet goal as was Kyles. I think Canata must have started to move for the pass when Kyle let it go. That line of Mangene, Beattie and Shamansky had a great shift with about 5 minutes left in the game, folks were out of gas but that was one great shift. Sully made the saves he should have and a few that changed the game for Maine. Cornell had a heck of a game
        Swavely's hit was clean, IMO. He lead with the shoulder, and never got his elbow up... Should not have been called at all, let alone a called a major. The officiating was just awful all night long.

Great energy from Maine tonight, from start to finish. This is a new development, to keep attacking, regardless of the score. I like it. (And the D was solid for 60 minutes, even Heggs!)

Man oh man, it feels great to be back in Maine again.
        Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-09-2012, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
          Swavely's hit was clean, IMO. He lead with the shoulder, and never got his elbow up... Should not have been called at all, let alone a called a major. The officiating was just awful.

Great energy from Maine tonight, from start to finish. This is a new development, to keep attacking, regardless of the score. I like it.
          I don't know, I really want to see a replay of the hit before I flat out disagree with you. Swavely came from the blindside and just chipped Bate's head while it was turned away from the direction Swavly was coming from. The only contact iirc was to the head. The refs got that one right, imo. Not the 'elbow' label they put on it, but 5 for contact-to-the-head. I reserve the right to change my opinion upon seeing a replay.

Aside from that, I agree with you.

Comment

I thought effort wise this may have been our best all year. We were every where on the ice and kept attacking all game long. Do any of you ole timers ever remember a section, OOO, being filled by a visiting team??? I have had season tickets for 19 yrs and I can't recall it. Thought it was neat and it seemed to get out students pumped. Unfortunately for the Mack they were a non factor. Both Sulley and Cannata were very good.
            Tomorrow nite should be a war, was not impressed by Bigos, although he didn't make any stupid penalties

Comment

http://www.wabi.tv/news/28345/beatti...ck-in-game-one

OK, so based on this replay, I'll amend "Swavely came from the blindside and just chipped Bate's head while it was turned away from the direction Swavely was coming from." to "Swavely came from the blindside and just chipped his head." You can substitute some other word for chipped if you like: clipped (was the first word I thought of, but didn't want to create confusion saying Swavely clipped him as there is already a rule on clipping) smacked, whacked, mashed or picked. Whether the hit was dirty or intentional or a hockey play is something I'm not getting involved in. The 5 min. major was deserved and earned for that matter.

Comment

Playoff Hockey tonight,too bad under 4000 were there...

Comment

Swaverlys hit wasnt vicious. It just caught the kid clean in the head and he wasnt expecting it. By watching him leave the ice it was a good concussion. Looked like a shoulder lead the way, but it was contact to the head so the call was correct. The MC kid didnt have a clue who he was or where he was. Lala land for sure.
                  I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Looked to me like Swavely threw his arm up at the last second, he deserved the penalty.

Maine will have to watch out for that tonight once they get a lead. MC ain't going down without a fight
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Yea a real complete game by Maine in all 3 periods. This looked like one of the defensive teams of old for Maine. Very physical. We are starting to win games in a variety of ways. It's very encouraging. Win tonight and we get to watch an NCAA game!

Comment

Brutal? Yes. Cheap, as in intentional, no. I got to see 2 replays of it, so I base what I think on this. I think a major is unwarranted here, but would have expected 2 minutes just for the contact of the shoulder to the head for the sake of principle. It's a pity they cannot just review the replays in order to call it right.

Comment

After a half a dozen user names that have been banned, pot meet kettle fits pretty well
                          you say that like getting one's user name banned is a bad thing

oooh number 1002, it'll be hard to delete

Comment

Originally posted by chripy View Post
                            ...interrupting originally scheduled hockey talk, this just in: Nyquist assists on the game winner tonight with under a min. left in the game as the Red Wings beat the Kings 4-3. now back to you're previously scheduled entertainment...
                            Good for him!

Comment

Working...
                            X