Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: University of Akron possibly in discussions to move to D1 varsity

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
    They're likely trying to kill the UAH program still so they can suck the pennies that have been funding it back and pay their linebackers coach another 50k a year.
    The savings from killing the hockey program were going to go to capitalize the other sports on our campus. We're relatively loosely affiliated with those ********s in Tuscaloosa, and our budget is largely separate from theirs. We all get state support, but some of us get a different percentage than others. It will surprise no one that, UAH being a research institution, we get less by % per head than most of the other schools in the state. Troy used to get less than we did, which is why they dropped the "State" from their name. [Alabama politics trivia point of the day. I think they made the change by the time that Osi Umenyiora was a student-athlete.]

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Huh. Good to know.

I figured they had more influence from that whole UAB trying to hire Jimbo Fisher and a bunch of tools from UAT told them "Nah, how about you hire this other crappy coach for half that cost, even though you raised the money yourself."
      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
        The WCHA will be in Huntsville in October. I know when, but I'm not allowed to say.

GFM
        Can we say now? Got an email talking about it.

Comment

Originally posted by fangers View Post
          Can we say now? Got an email talking about it.
          From whom? Not me.

The WCHA will be in town late the week of October 8th, and they will take in the Friday night game against Mankato. It's nice that Akron wants to consider moving to varsity, but ...

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by fr joe View Post
            Step One: Oust Faust!
            Didn't Marlowe do that?
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

From whom? Not me.

The WCHA will be in town late the week of October 8th, and they will take in the Friday night game against Mankato. It's nice that Akron wants to consider moving to varsity, but ...

GFM
              Well, having a few new schools coming online that would lead to a more positive breakup of a hockey league would be a good thing. If a CCHA 2.0 could start up and thin out the WCHA 2.0, Atlantic Hockey, and the NACHO, that would leave a lot of the country covered by the footprints of college hockey leagues. The NACHO could look at about any school in the Pacific Northwest, would think they would seriously entertain UBC coming in there if only to keep the Thunderbirds out of the WCHA 2.0. The WCHA 2.0 would have a few others schools near them that would give them another warm body to play. Iowa State comes to mind, but I would think they would have to fend off the NACHO to get them in. A school like Oakland University could be fought over by the NACHO, CCHA 2.0, and WCHA 2.0. Would be a little bit of a reach for the NACHO, but they might like to help keep schools from the other two leagues from recuiting in the Oakland County area.
              bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

...The WCHA will be in town late the week of October 8th, and they will take in the Friday night game against Mankato. It's nice that Akron wants to consider moving to varsity, but ...

GFM
                Note that Mankato is making the trip to Huntsville. It's my understanding that we're the only D-I program that is doing so. The rest of their home schedule is filled with exhibitions against foreign teams, D-III and club programs. No other school would even step up to give them games.
                My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                  Note that Mankato is making the trip to Huntsville. It's my understanding that we're the only D-I program that is doing so. The rest of their home schedule is filled with exhibitions against foreign teams, D-III and club programs. No other school would even step up to give them games.
                  Others did but rescheduled when UAH abandoned their program. They couldn't get them back when the program was reinstated.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    Others did but rescheduled when UAH abandoned their program. They couldn't get them back when the program was reinstated.
                    UAH didn't abandon their program, they had some idiot in Tuscaloosa try to cancel it against their wishes. If anything, that should speak volumes to UAH's Commitment to hockey.
                    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      This is true. There was another WCHA opponent (the one our top AC played at) coming to UAH before Portera's decision came down, at which point Coach Luongo and Dr. Brophy released all the contracts. When the relegation was reversed six weeks later, Mankato was the only team that hadn't picked up games in place of a visit to Huntsville. As such, I will call them the Mavericks forevermore (or at least for five years) and not use a two-word nickname.

The home schedule is ... sparse.

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                        Well, having a few new schools coming online that would lead to a more positive breakup of a hockey league would be a good thing. If a CCHA 2.0 could start up and thin out the WCHA 2.0, Atlantic Hockey, and the NACHO, that would leave a lot of the country covered by the footprints of college hockey leagues. The NACHO could look at about any school in the Pacific Northwest, would think they would seriously entertain UBC coming in there if only to keep the Thunderbirds out of the WCHA 2.0. The WCHA 2.0 would have a few others schools near them that would give them another warm body to play. Iowa State comes to mind, but I would think they would have to fend off the NACHO to get them in. A school like Oakland University could be fought over by the NACHO, CCHA 2.0, and WCHA 2.0. Would be a little bit of a reach for the NACHO, but they might like to help keep schools from the other two leagues from recuiting in the Oakland County area.
                        You're kidding yourself if you think that four programs are going to materialize from the ether. It's no small commitment at the Division I level.

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                        X