Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miami @ Michigan - Is the building structurally sound yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Miami @ Michigan - Is the building structurally sound yet?

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    And for you coming up from Ohio, if you feel that Saturday's game will be a bust, Anthony Bourdais will be speaking downtown at the same time as the game- good distraction....
    Ah, yes Anthony Bourdain. If you are looking for me on Saturday, you will find me there. Should be the only home game I misss this year. Loved his book Kitchen Confidental and watch his Travel Channel show, No Reservations all the time.

Why can't they schedule this stuff around hockey and football?
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

Originally posted by bluevox View Post
      Ah, yes Anthony Bourdain. If you are looking for me on Saturday, you will find me there. Should be the only home game I misss this year. Loved his book Kitchen Confidental and watch his Travel Channel show, No Reservations all the time.

Why can't they schedule this stuff around hockey and football?
      Also saw in the Detroit News that the "Man vs. Food-Detroit" episode will be on tomorrow night. The guy is walking heart attack waiting to happen with all of his fratlike eating challenges.

Comment

A buddy and I are sitting in section 21. Decided to buy the tickets online rather than settle for the Miami section in the rafters like last year. Section 11 I think it was...

Always fun to see hockey at Yost. And, I'm sure we'll visit the RedHawk Grill though it did little to provide a spark of luck last year.
        http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
          Well I would love two outcomes like oxford last fall, but I see two really close games. I think Miami will come to play, if they are flat like this weekend it will be ugly but Michigan's offense will be tested thouroughly this weekend.
          Miami will not be flat. If you can't get up, and stay up, for this, I'll happily remind Rico that I have four years of eligibility remaining and will immediately enroll for an MBA!

After sweeping Michigan in Oxford, Miami will be motivated by last year's 5-1 and 4-0 thumpings at Yost. Though remember both Mercier and Camper were injured during the Saturday game and neither played on Sunday. And, Cody was pulled Saturday so I have to believe he'll be looking for a better effort.

Frankly, I would think the whole team will use last year's Yost experience as motivation. At least I would.

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
            After sweeping Michigan in Oxford, Miami will be motivated by last year's 5-1 and 4-0 thumpings at Yost. Though remember both Mercier and Camper were injured during the Saturday game and neither played on Sunday. And, Cody was pulled Saturday so I have to believe he'll be looking for a better effort.
            Funny, I just mentioned this in the Miami thread before I saw it here. Even though we have an awful all-time record like I said this series is even over the past ~5 years.

12/2/2005 - Michigan 2 Miami 4
            12/3/2005 - Michigan 3 Miami 4
            10/19/2006 - Miami 3 Michigan 6
            10/20/2007 - Miami 4 Michigan 1
            2/8/2008 - Michigan 4 Miami 2
            2/9/2008 - Michigan 5 Miami 5
            11/21/2008 - Michigan 0 Miami 2
            11/22/2008 - Michigan 1 Miami 2
            1/10/2009 - Miami 1 Michigan 5
            1/11/2009 - Miami 0 Michigan 4

Thats actually a 5-4-1 Miami edge in the past 4 years

Comment

Miami will not be flat. If you can't get up, and stay up, for this, I'll happily remind Rico that I have four years of eligibility remaining and will immediately enroll for an MBA!

Frankly, I would think the whole team will use last year's Yost experience as motivation. At least I would.

I don't think they will be flat either, nor do I think they have a skill advantage.

I hope you have fun up there, but think you will be on the edge of your seat a little more.

This team isn't like the past, for me, you can throw the historical records out the window. In the last 4 years it's a 5-5-1 series I believe. Last year Michigan was playing their best and Miami their worst during that series and the team had a lot of freshmen who were trying to figure out how to deal with a little adversity. That is no longer a problem, this team has yet to play their best and after what happened in april in D.C. nothing will rattle them, IMO. They have played tough road games already this season and have had the toughest first 8 games than anyone in the country.

I know you are being cautiously optomistic , preparing yourself for the worst and hoping for the best but I think we have a good feel 8 games in that when this team needs too they step it up and dominate games. They did it at UNH twice, the did it friday at NMU, they did it in the third period in game two against MSU. I think they will be focused and prepared to play this weekend and should they put 60 min together they win atleast one and could possibly sweep.

Michigan is very very good, don't get me wrong. But I don't think this team is as good as they were two years ago, I think Michigan has a lot of good young talent but they don't have as many veteran superstar players as they have in years past. All my opinion, but this is the type of series as why the CCHA is probably the best conference in the country this year. You just never know what your going to get, we can all speculate but we wont know what we will get until sunday morning when it is all over.
              Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

3-43-1 at Yost is just laughable. And, I know those are different teams, but a stat like that speaks for itself.

Comment

3-43-1 at Yost is just laughable. And, I know those are different teams, but a stat like that speaks for itself.
                  Before 2002 Miami only had 2 relevant teams prior to that season. Look at recent history, that speaks more volume than numbers from the 80's and 90's when Miami didn't have very good teams and wasn't a strong program. BG also won a national championship in the 80's doesn't mean they are relevant today. Different mentality from this team and program over the past 6 years, so those numbers don't mean anything, IMO , JD put it out there and I think that is a more telling story.
                  Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Also don't think you can say that "our system vs their skill" is going to be a problem either. Both clubs have very skilled forwards with great playmaking abilities, love to play physical and grind it out as well. I think thats why everyone's favorite team from Columbus (sarcasm) has taken to referring to Miami as Michigan South. These two teams are a lot alike, which is no surprise that this is definitely the premier CCHA, and probably national matchup this weekend.

The only difference I see between these two teams this year is that Miami doesn't have a youtube video of a forward dancing to Glamorous in the locker room (and at Mock Rock).

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
                      Also don't think you can say that "our system vs their skill" is going to be a problem either. Both clubs have very skilled forwards with great playmaking abilities, love to play physical and grind it out as well. I think thats why everyone's favorite team from Columbus (sarcasm) has taken to referring to Miami as Michigan South. These two teams are a lot alike, which is no surprise that this is definitely the premier CCHA, and probably national matchup this weekend.

The only difference I see between these two teams this year is that Miami doesn't have a youtube video of a forward dancing to Glamorous in the locker room (and at Mock Rock).
                      I agree, Miami's system against their skill isn't the issue. Their core guys have yet to break out, so lets hope they don't this weekend. But you look at the results, outside of last year in ann arbor, they have been close games. Miami's system is designed to slow down quicker teams, it takes away the ice and puts pressure on them to make decisions and not just their speed.

I think the interesting story line is if Michigans defense can contain Miami's pressure in the offensive zone. Rust and Hagelin are the only guys who are putting up points early on. Caporusso and Wahlberg have yet to get going, but Miami has had very balanced scoring so far. Lots of interesting points of emphasis for this weekends games but with as good as both teams are you wouldn't expect anything less would you?

Comment

I agree, Miami's system against their skill isn't the issue. Their core guys have yet to break out, so lets hope they don't this weekend. But you look at the results, outside of last year in ann arbor, they have been close games. Miami's system is designed to slow down quicker teams, it takes away the ice and puts pressure on them to make decisions and not just their speed.

I think the interesting story line is if Michigans defense can contain Miami's pressure in the offensive zone. Rust and Hagelin are the only guys who are putting up points early on. Caporusso and Wahlberg have yet to get going, but Miami has had very balanced scoring so far. Lots of interesting points of emphasis for this weekends games but with as good as both teams are you wouldn't expect anything less would you?
                        Bolded part is what worries this Michigan fan. I enjoy watching when it seems Michigan can score at will, but sometimes they get frustrated and it just seems nothing goes in. I was hoping it was just last season, but I think we've seen a bit of it this season.

Who gets the first goal on Friday night is huge.
                        Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                        wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                        7 B1G
                        7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                        6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                        5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                        5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                        2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                        2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                          Bolded part is what worries this Michigan fan. I enjoy watching when it seems Michigan can score at will, but sometimes they get frustrated and it just seems nothing goes in. I was hoping it was just last season, but I think we've seen a bit of it this season.

Who gets the first goal on Friday night is huge.
                          I think your point was very relevant in oxford last year. Palushaj sp? got very frustrated and was seem at times mixing it up after the whistle and petty stuff behind the play. I don't know if that was out of character for him or not but it seemed like it.

Spot on again, but first goal in either game is huge. However Miami has played from behind in a couple key games this year already so if they go down 1-0 I won't be that worried depending on the point in the game it is. But twice Miami came back late in the third period this year once against St. Cloud state and another against Michigan st.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                            When that frustration sets in, they tend to try doing too much as individuals and not enough as a team. It's a mark of good teams to have leaders who can step up and make plays to get their team back in a game, but it's the great teams who do it as a unit and turn a 2 goal deficit into a 2 goal lead.

I still have some concerns about leadership, but it's entirely possible that it's a misplaced concern. Too early to tell yet.

Comment

Originally posted by KC8NIY View Post
                              When that frustration sets in, they tend to try doing too much as individuals and not enough as a team. It's a mark of good teams to have leaders who can step up and make plays to get their team back in a game, but it's the great teams who do it as a unit and turn a 2 goal deficit into a 2 goal lead.

I still have some concerns about leadership, but it's entirely possible that it's a misplaced concern. Too early to tell yet.
                              well especially with how young your team is, it takes those guys some time to get their feet wet and establish themselves at this level.

Comment

well especially with how young your team is, it takes those guys some time to get their feet wet and establish themselves at this level.
                                Leadership has a lot to do with that though. See: Porter/Kolarik 2007-2008. That was supposed to be a rebuilding/reloading year for Michigan due to the losses of Hensick, Cogliano, Hunwick, and Johnson. Instead, two of the best leaders this team has seen during Berenson's tenure emerged, embraced the freshmen, and took the team to places no one expected.

Comment

Working...
                                X