Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miami @ Michigan - Is the building structurally sound yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miami @ Michigan - Is the building structurally sound yet?

Last few years this series has been very competitive, 5-5-1 in the last 11, far from the Redskins/Wolverines series of the past. Miami coming off a sweep in the UP with a flu ridden squad (honestly glad they had it then and should be out of their system by this weekend). Michigan with a sweep of the other CCHA team in the UP. Battle of the only two squads to get the CCHA first round bye every season since they came out with it.
    Last edited by mcfarljd; 11-01-2009, 05:09 PM.

Re: Miami @ Michigan - Is the building structurally sound yet?

Nice title

Michigan's had a little bit of the flu going around as well, from what I understand. Mel and AJ Treais didn't travel with the team up to Lake State. Hopefully they've all taken precautions against spreading it further, and the team will be full strength next weekend.

As per usual routine of the past few years, this should be a great battle. Michigan's still trying to find their identity, but made strides toward that this weekend. Penalties continue to be burdensome, but the PK has been great to make up for that a little bit. The biggest problem thus far has been consistency throughout the entire game. Michigan can't afford to take a period off or coast this weekend if they expect to win. I'm sure they realize that, but the proof is in the product.

Comment

Originally posted by KC8NIY View Post
      Nice title

Michigan's had a little bit of the flu going around as well, from what I understand. Mel and AJ Treais didn't travel with the team up to Lake State. Hopefully they've all taken precautions against spreading it further, and the team will be full strength next weekend.
      Treais played Friday. Coach's decision not to play him Saturday. Nothing wrong with him, just wanted to give Sparks a chance to play.
      Michigan Hockey Net
      Follow MHNet on Twitter

NMUKat82 to my dog Cinnamon: Will you stop eyeballing my crotch like you're expecting something tasty to come out???

NMU Hockey: No Focke. No Scharge. The curse has been lifted and the turnaround begins!

"'Tech' means nerd, and nerds suck at sports." - Stephen Colbert

Comment

Yea Miami had a couple flat periods against NMU last weekend but I think after hearing the coaches quote that most the kids spent the afternoons throwing up this weekend that we'll let those periods slide, hopefully they understand the importance of playing full games at Yost. Last year during our visit you caught us during our typical post Christmas swoon (including losses to Army, Clarkson, Mich St). Miami's played some tough teams so far, but this will be the best test to gauge where the team is at right now, hoping to come out with a split.

Comment

The Michigan program has been structurally sound and "building" since 1989.

I am really interested to see if Michigan can hold firm on home ice. Not much of a chance to build any home momentum seeing that they have played 5 out of their 6 games away from Yost. So, I don't think Miami is coming in at a bad time. Michigan has the Hawks, then MSU right behind them, so these are important points that they can't give away. I feel good about going into BU and playing competitively. Miami's skill and speed should not surprise them. Having the home crowd is a +1.

Health may be a big wild card now. That and the bulging rebounds that Hogan is giving up. Goaltending, IMO will be the x-factor next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by M-HockeyNet View Post
            Treais played Friday. Coach's decision not to play him Saturday. Nothing wrong with him, just wanted to give Sparks a chance to play.
            Ah, thanks for the correction. I thought he stayed behind with Mel.

Comment

Just thought I'd bump this thread so it doesn't get lost due to a 2nd one being started.

It's a big weekend for both teams, and I know I'm looking forward to the games.

Hopefully both teams will be healthy and we'll see some good hockey this weekend.

It'll be interesting to see how health effects all the teams throughout the season with all we keep hearing about the flu this year.
              Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
              wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
              7 B1G
              7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
              6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
              5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
              5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
              2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
              2 Alaskan

Comment

*****http://www.southfarthing.org/5_8_5popcorn.gif******
                As enticing as this matchup may be, I'm waiting to see which thread survives the weekend.
                Last edited by owslachief; 11-02-2009, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                  Just thought I'd bump this thread so it doesn't get lost due to a 2nd one being started.

It's a big weekend for both teams, and I know I'm looking forward to the games.

Hopefully both teams will be healthy and we'll see some good hockey this weekend.

It'll be interesting to see how health effects all the teams throughout the season with all we keep hearing about the flu this year.
                  Thanks for that, I didnt see it and thought if a thread had been started it would be on the front page.

As for this series, IMO it is a big series with a lot of conference and national implications. With these two only playing twice a sweep for either would really hurt the losers chance at winning a regular season title.

As for the health of either team. I know Miami has been battling a little flu bug and could be the reason for them looking flat last weekend. Real question I have is will Knapp see any time? Cody Reichard hasn't had any Title game hangover and has played extremely well this year. Knapp missed last weekend due to the flu.

Regardless I don't see two blow outs like last year in yost, I think we are looking more like two close 1 or 2 goal games like we had in oxford last fall.
                  Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
                    Regardless I don't see two blow outs like last year in yost, I think we are looking more like two close 1 or 2 goal games like we had in oxford last fall.
                    Agreed, although I hope it's not like Oxford last fall

As long as Michigan is responsible defensively, Hogan avoids errors handling the puck, and the offense that played Lake State shows up this weekend, I like our chances. The aforementioned penalties and cohesiveness could put a bullet in those chances though.

Comment

Originally posted by KC8NIY View Post
                      Agreed, although I hope it's not like Oxford last fall

As long as Michigan is responsible defensively, Hogan avoids errors handling the puck, and the offense that played Lake State shows up this weekend, I like our chances. The aforementioned penalties and cohesiveness could put a bullet in those chances though.
                      Well I would love two outcomes like oxford last fall, but I see two really close games. I think Miami will come to play, if they are flat like this weekend it will be ugly but Michigan's offense will be tested thouroughly this weekend.
                      Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Our all-time record is so bad at Yost that maybe it's not even worth playing the games. At least I hope that's what Rico is telling them. A split would be great. Realistically, I'm preparing for a Michigan sweep. Even the very best Miami teams have had no luck at all vs. the Wolverines. From a skill perspective, I don't think we matchup well.

I'm going Saturday, but like my visit there last year, I don't expect to do much cheering.
                        http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
                          Our all-time record is so bad at Yost that maybe it's not even worth playing the games. At least I hope that's what Rico is telling them. A split would be great. Realistically, I'm preparing for a Michigan sweep. Even the very best Miami teams have had no luck at all vs. the Wolverines. From a skill perspective, I don't think we matchup well.

I'm going Saturday, but like my visit there last year, I don't expect to do much cheering.
                          I sure hope he's saying that, too!! That would be awesome if Miami just showed up... And for you coming up from Ohio, if you feel that Saturday's game will be a bust, Anthony Bourdais will be speaking downtown at the same time as the game- good distraction....

But I do expect a very solid game from both teams. Miami is the only team so far who has deserved to be top 5 for this much of the season, while Michigan is seemingly starting to find their legs. A very interesting early season match up, for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                            I sure hope he's saying that, too!! That would be awesome if Miami just showed up... And for you coming up from Ohio, if you feel that Saturday's game will be a bust, Anthony Bourdais will be speaking downtown at the same time as the game- good distraction....

But I do expect a very solid game from both teams. Miami is the only team so far who has deserved to be top 5 for this much of the season, while Michigan is seemingly starting to find their legs. A very interesting early season match up, for sure.
                            Where is holding his exotic meal in A2... Blimpyburger???

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                              Where is holding his exotic meal in A2... Blimpyburger???
                              Michigan Theater.

You are thinking the wrong show.

Comment

Working...
                              X