X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The New WCHA (2013-14)

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
    Well, sure, but as noted by my BSU example, it's all about getting those "extra" games at home. BSU had 4 home OOC games with the exemption, and has ... 4 without it. In the nWCHA, will they be able to get 6 OOC home games 4 out of 6 years? And if they do, will those 3 opponents be UMinn, UMD and UND (with the DQ Cup on the road)? Maybe, but doubtful (at least all of them at home is doubtful). A more realistic possibility is UND home & home, UMD home & home (which may be optimistic with the DQ cup), DQ cup and maybe get say, Mercyhurst (just to throw a random team out there). Compared to those two years with no exemption, when the schedule doesn't let them bring in (insert random no-name team), is the Alaska exemption a huge deal to BSU? Eh, maybe...
    This is the other part of the argument, which is that extra allowable games won't necessarily convert to extra home games. As for my anecdote, truly that applied to that year only, but my larger (un- or poorly-stated) point is that just because you can schedule extra games doesn't mean that you will.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
      This is a ridiculous minimum. Suggesting numbers that low is disingenuous. First of all ... excluding UAA and UAF -- the average number of seats for the remaining 6 schools is 4668. Your method of suggesting revenue is flawed as well. The only reasonable thing to do is talk about the potential additional revenue. So on average with $20 tickets there is a potential for 150K+ additional revenue if the member school is able to find a way to maximize it. They have opportunities to be creative.
      Except that most of the schools don't sell their single game tickets for over $20 and capacity doesn't matter if they don't sell the tickets.

Look at the ACTUAL attendance from 2010-11 as reported to the NCAA Link to pdf

Bemidji St 3,876
      Minn. St. Mankato 3,711
      Alas. Anchorage 3,319
      Alas. Fairbanks 3,134
      Northern Mich 2,541
      Michigan Tech 2,345
      Bowling Green 2,167
      Lake Superior St 2,103
      Ferris St 1,734

Only 2 of the non-AK schools averaged over ~2,500 per game

What about the Single-game ticket prices:
      BSU: ~$25 (average) Link
      MSU: ~$20 (average) Link
      LSSU: $10 Link
      MTU: $17 Link
      NMU: $15 Link
      BGSU: $18 Link
      FSU: $13 Link

Given the above numbers, I fail to see how an estimate of 2,500 tickets at $15 each isn't an accurate representation of what those 5 schools can expect in terms of ticket revenue per game ($37,500). That is before considering any discount that might be given for season tickets, students, or different ticket tiers and ignoring any costs associated with running the arena or making the return trip to the visiting school.

500 student tickets at $5 + 1500 season tickets at 20% discount from single game prices $12 + 500 single game at $15 drops the revenue to $28,000. $3k to operate the arena during game day drops the net to $25,000 per game

Assuming that the 4 exempt games result in one home series and one road series, the net revenue is $50k minus the cost of the road series (~10k or so depending on distance traveled) so those 5 schools would be looking at a $40k increase on a $1.25M budget for the year (or about 3.2% of the total budget). The numbers are much better for BSU and MSUM because they have higher ticket prices and MSUM has seen higher attendance in the recent past.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
        Except that most of the schools don't sell their single game tickets for over $20 and capacity doesn't matter if they don't sell the tickets.

Look at the ACTUAL attendance from 2010-11 as reported to the NCAA Link to pdf

Bemidji St 3,876
        Minn. St. Mankato 3,711
        Alas. Anchorage 3,319
        Alas. Fairbanks 3,134
        Northern Mich 2,541
        Michigan Tech 2,345
        Bowling Green 2,167
        Lake Superior St 2,103
        Ferris St 1,734

Only 2 of the non-AK schools averaged over ~2,500 per game

What about the Single-game ticket prices:
        BSU: ~$25 (average) Link
        MSU: ~$20 (average) Link
        LSSU: $10 Link
        MTU: $17 Link
        NMU: $15 Link
        BGSU: $18 Link
        FSU: $13 Link

Given the above numbers, I fail to see how an estimate of 2,500 tickets at $15 each isn't an accurate representation of what those 5 schools can expect in terms of ticket revenue per game ($37,500). That is before considering any discount that might be given for season tickets, students, or different ticket tiers and ignoring any costs associated with running the arena or making the return trip to the visiting school.

500 student tickets at $5 + 1500 season tickets at 20% discount from single game prices $12 + 500 single game at $15 drops the revenue to $28,000. $3k to operate the arena during game day drops the net to $25,000 per game

Assuming that the 4 exempt games result in one home series and one road series, the net revenue is $50k minus the cost of the road series (~10k or so depending on distance traveled) so those 5 schools would be looking at a $40k increase on a $1.25M budget for the year (or about 3.2% of the total budget). The numbers are much better for BSU and MSUM because they have higher ticket prices and MSUM has seen higher attendance in the recent past.
        I clicked on your link to BGSU and see their ticket price is $9.00 not $18.00 for a single adult. I do recall paying $11 a couple of years ago when I attended a game.
        Go Lakers!

Comment

Originally posted by Laker54 View Post
          I clicked on your link to BGSU and see their ticket price is $9.00 not $18.00 for a single adult. I do recall paying $11 a couple of years ago when I attended a game.
          BGSU has a number of levels for Single-Game Seat Prices:
          General Admission Adult * - $9.00
          General Admission Youth/Senior/Military * - 7.00
          PRIME Chair-back Reserved * - $18.00
          Bench Reserved Adult * - $11.00
          Bench Reserved Youth/Senior/Military * - $9.00
          Group of 20-49 ** - $6.00
          Group of 50 + ** - $4.00
          I simply picket the highest priced ticket for all the schools (except BSU and MSUM where I noted that it was an average price) to give an upper limit to the potential ticket revenue per game.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            you missed one important part, it's per team. So you can make a trip to see UAA & UAF.
            I still have to wonder if UAA and UAF will get together and try to shift games by a day or even two and try to allow teams to schedule them on back-to-back weekends. For example a Sat-Sun with one team and a Fri-Sat or Thur-Fri with the other team. In short scheduling it just like a road trip on pro sports. You could prob get two or three teams a year that would take advantage of it if it worked with their semester, holiday or spring break. I sure any team would love the opportunity to bank four extra home game and only have to make one extended trip to AK. Four nights in a hotel has to be way less than another plane ticket. Heck you might even get some fans that would make a week out of it and throw some money into the local hotels and other businesses.
            Ryan J
            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
            Originally posted by geezer
            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
            Originally posted by manurespreader
            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
              I still have to wonder if UAA and UAF will get together and try to shift games by a day or even two and try to allow teams to schedule them on back-to-back weekends. For example a Sat-Sun with one team and a Fri-Sat or Thur-Fri with the other team. In short scheduling it just like a road trip on pro sports. You could prob get two or three teams a year that would take advantage of it if it worked with their semester, holiday or spring break. I sure any team would love the opportunity to bank four extra home game and only have to make one extended trip to AK. Four nights in a hotel has to be way less than another plane ticket. Heck you might even get some fans that would make a week out of it and throw some money into the local hotels and other businesses.
              Ryan J
              This really makes a lot of sense. Ever since it was announced that UAF was joining the league, I have discussed this scheduling arrangement with friends of mine who seem to agree. There will be those who disagree, saying that class schedules among other things will not permit this, but I disagree. To the best of my knowledge, UAA already does this once a year, and I am assuming that UAF does also.

I also agree that it would permit fans from the lower 48 to make a week long trip to Alaska, get 4 hockey games in and spend 4 or 5 days between games seeing the state. I have been there in summer, but never in the winter, and hope that this is the way that schedules are done.

Comment

• UAF takes at least one two week roadie, and sometimes two every year. Same for UAA. It's doable, although we always do ours right after the new year, before classes start.

Originally posted by Iwearpurple View Post
                This really makes a lot of sense. Ever since it was announced that UAF was joining the league, I have discussed this scheduling arrangement with friends of mine who seem to agree. There will be those who disagree, saying that class schedules among other things will not permit this, but I disagree. To the best of my knowledge, UAA already does this once a year, and I am assuming that UAF does also.

I also agree that it would permit fans from the lower 48 to make a week long trip to Alaska, get 4 hockey games in and spend 4 or 5 days between games seeing the state. I have been there in summer, but never in the winter, and hope that this is the way that schedules are done.
                “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                  UAF takes at least one two week roadie, and sometimes two every year. Same for UAA. It's doable, although we always do ours right after the new year, before classes start.
                  That's the issue. Only one school would be able to do that each year. The others would be missing at least a week of classes to do it.
                  My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by Iwearpurple View Post

Does it make sense? How badly would those schools want to trade the revenue from a Friday night game and turn it into a Sunday crowd? Or take a Saturday night gate and exchange it for Thursday nmoney. You're likely talking a great deal of difference here. For a team from the lower 48 you are also talking 7 straight days out of school to make such a trip. Alaska usually makes their lower 48 runs in connection with a break. If the Alaska schools are down here on break periods, there's no one to play in Alaska.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      Does it make sense? How badly would those schools want to trade the revenue from a Friday night game and turn it into a Sunday crowd? Or take a Saturday night gate and exchange it for Thursday nmoney. You're likely talking a great deal of difference here. For a team from the lower 48 you are also talking 7 straight days out of school to make such a trip. Alaska usually makes their lower 48 runs in connection with a break. If the Alaska schools are down here on break periods, there's no one to play in Alaska.
                      Hey bean counter - ever make a post about hockey?

Comment

Originally posted by Back check View Post
                        The bean counting is a big part of hockey reality. Especially now that the guys with lots of beans took their beans to a bigger bean party.
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                          The bean counting is a big part of hockey reality. Especially now that the guys with lots of beans took their beans to a bigger bean party.
                          I don't think I want to be at that bean party when everything "blows" up.
                          Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                          FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                          NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                          NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                          NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                          NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                          Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                          Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                            Footage from the Bigger Bean Party (NCHC) gathering to discuss how to to get rid of the Sheriff B1G Conference.

“Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by Back check View Post
                              Isn't that illegal in 38 states and Canada?
                              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                                I don't think I want to be at that bean party when everything "blows" up.
                                That is a fantastic post.

Comment

Working...
                                X