This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by moose97 View Post
    As I said earlier, I don't see why you couldn't have every school block off rooms before the season, then release the rooms when it becomes clear that said school isn't going to host (say, when the school is mathematically eliminated from the regular season title).

And in hindsight, that "extra week off" might have killed any momentum BSU had once they reached the Frozen Four. Note, by the time the Beavers stepped on the ice in DC, they were playing just their 3rd game in almost 4 weeks (CHA Championship game 3/14/09, Midwest Regionals 3/28 & 29/09, Frozen Four 4/9/09).
    You could also argue that that extra time off helped them rest up and help GET to the Frozen Four. I think its a stretch that BSU was significantly hindered by the time off... Don't you think that that was less of a hinderance than being the leasted talented team left standing?
    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

• Re: The New WCHA (2013-14)

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
      As I said earlier, I don't see why you couldn't have every school block off rooms before the season, then release the rooms when it becomes clear that said school isn't going to host (say, when the school is mathematically eliminated from the regular season title).
      In all honesty, are hotel rooms really going to be that big of an issue for this tourney? I honestly don't know the hotel situation in all of these towns, but if I look at Mankato specifically, there are in the range of 25 hotels (give or take a couple). If you figure that there are 100 rooms in each of those hotels and a 50% occupancy rate, you're still left with 1200 rooms that are available on any given weekend. That's a lot of rooms for out of town people coming in on a moment's notice. Again, I really think you're looking at MAYBE 200 people from each visiting school and MAYBE 200-300 people that go on a yearly basis from the non-qualifying teams. That's about 1000 people (200*4 visiting schools + 200 people). At 2 people to a room, you need 500 rooms available. I Kato that doesn't seem to be a problem. Like I said though, I fully admit I don't know what the situation is in other towns.
      Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post
        ... Like I said though, I fully admit I don't know what the situation is in other towns.
        I know in Marquette hosts an annual car show, and I think the UP Builders Show at the Superior Dome during the playoffs. While this doesn't affect the Berry, it does affect hotel accommodations in the area.

I really can't see how hosting at the rink of the league champion is a good idea. It just seems like a step backwards for the WCHA.
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
          It just seems like a step backwards for the WCHA.
          That horse already left the barn. The only question is where to go after the step backwards.
          My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

I know in Marquette hosts an annual car show, and I think the UP Builders Show at the Superior Dome during the playoffs. While this doesn't affect the Berry, it does affect hotel accommodations in the area.
            I really can't see how hosting at the rink of the league champion is a good idea. It just seems like a step backwards for the WCHA.
            Really? The hotels book up for a builder and car show?

Comment

I still can't see how the league tourney will draw more than 5000/game in the near future regardless of location. Realistically, that's the first question. What is a realistic goal for this league from attendance and then work backwards from there. What is going to maximize the attendance in comparison to the actual cost of holding the tourney in any given location.

I agree with MavsFan though, we've already taken a step backwards. We don't have the luxury of worrying about the perception compared to other conferences fans. We have to worry abotu what makes the most sense for us. We don't have a model to copy due to how spread out the conference is. We have to make the model and it's probably going to be trial-and-error. That's not to say that holding it at the league champion is the best option, I don't know what the income statement will look like in any scenario. I just don't think that the league can eliminate any option until looking at the financial implications.

Comment

From the CCHA at JLA (20,066): Friday - 7,823 (39.0%); Saturday - 10,421 (52.0%)
                From Hockey East at TD Garden (17,565): Friday - 13,974 (79.6%); Saturday - 13,079 (74.5%)
                From the ECAC at Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, NJ (10,500): Friday - 3,462 (33.0%); Saturday - 4,131 (39.4%)
                From Atlantic Hockey at Blue Cross Arena, Rochester, NY (13,000): Friday - 3,287 (25.3%); Saturday - 2,433 (18.7%)
                Ignoring the WCHA at Xcel because they individually ticket all games.

Average of All (minus WCHA) Friday Semi-Final Championship games: 28,546/61,131 = 46.7%
                Average of All (minus WCHA) Saturday Championship (and third place) games: 30,064/61,131 = 49.2%

Obviously leagues like the AHA and ECAC seem to make an AHL rink work for them with a continued lack of attendance. Why should the New WCHA not do the same if those "lesser" leagues are obviously making it work? Why all of a sudden should we rewind the WCHA to pre-1987?

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

And, for kicks, here's the seating capacities of all the New WCHA member schools:
                  University of Alaska Anchorage - Sullivan Arena - 6,251
                  University of Alaska Fairbanks - Carlson Center - 4,595
                  Bemidji State University - Sanford Center - 4,700
                  Minnesota State University, Mankato - Verizon Wireless Center - 5,280
                  Michigan Tech University - John J. MacInnes Ice Arena - 4,200
                  Northern Michigan University - Berry Events Center - 4,300
                  Lake Superior State University - Taffy Abel Arena - 4,000
                  Ferris State University - Dumby Barn Robert L. Ewigleben Ice Arena - 2,493
                  Bowling Green State University - BGSU Ice Arena - 5,000
                  And for posterity, University of Alabama, Huntsville - Von Braun Center - 6,602

With rinks like this, the league CANNOT draw more than 5,000 people to a theoretical regular season Champ hosted Championship playoff game.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                    Really? The hotels book up for a builder and car show?
                    No the vendors that that come from Houghton, Iron Mountain, Escanaba, Newberry and many other points to fill up 100,000 square feet of display space sleep in their cars. Same with the visitors from various areas.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      No the vendors that that come from Houghton, Iron Mountain, Escanaba, Newberry and many other points to fill up 100,000 square feet of display space sleep in their cars. Same with the visitors from various areas.
                      Oh it's never that full.

Comment

From the CCHA at JLA (20,066): Friday - 7,823 (39.0%); Saturday - 10,421 (52.0%)
                        From Hockey East at TD Garden (17,565): Friday - 13,974 (79.6%); Saturday - 13,079 (74.5%)
                        From the ECAC at Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, NJ (10,500): Friday - 3,462 (33.0%); Saturday - 4,131 (39.4%)
                        From Atlantic Hockey at Blue Cross Arena, Rochester, NY (13,000): Friday - 3,287 (25.3%); Saturday - 2,433 (18.7%)
                        Ignoring the WCHA at Xcel because they individually ticket all games.

Average of All (minus WCHA) Friday Semi-Final Championship games: 28,546/61,131 = 46.7%
                        Average of All (minus WCHA) Saturday Championship (and third place) games: 30,064/61,131 = 49.2%

Obviously leagues like the AHA and ECAC seem to make an AHL rink work for them with a continued lack of attendance. Why should the New WCHA not do the same if those "lesser" leagues are obviously making it work? Why all of a sudden should we rewind the WCHA to pre-1987?
                        If you call 20-40% capacity, "working for them," then okay. I'd rather see a good crowd (i.e. a full building) than something half empty or worse.

I look at the Minnesota HS Hockey Tourney as a good example. For Class AA (large schools), the Xcel works perfectly, as the championship game sells out every year. The Class A tourney, on the other hand, might be better off at Mariucci, as they play before a half empty building. God forbid we bring up the girl's A or AA - they should be in Ridder Arena the crowds are so small. But - all end up at the X, and the experience suffers greatly. Bottom line - put your even in the "right" sized rink, then grow when it's warranted.
                        Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                        B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                        CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                        ECAC:
                        HEA: UMass
                        NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                        Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

And, for kicks, here's the seating capacities of all the New WCHA member schools:
                          University of Alaska Anchorage - Sullivan Arena - 6,251
                          University of Alaska Fairbanks - Carlson Center - 4,595
                          Bemidji State University - Sanford Center - 4,700
                          Minnesota State University, Mankato - Verizon Wireless Center - 5,280
                          Michigan Tech University - John J. MacInnes Ice Arena - 4,200
                          Northern Michigan University - Berry Events Center - 4,300
                          Lake Superior State University - Taffy Abel Arena - 4,000
                          Ferris State University - Dumby Barn Robert L. Ewigleben Ice Arena - 2,493
                          Bowling Green State University - BGSU Ice Arena - 5,000
                          And for posterity, University of Alabama, Huntsville - Von Braun Center - 6,602

With rinks like this, the league CANNOT draw more than 5,000 people to a theoretical regular season Champ hosted Championship playoff game.
                          that's a fair point. I can buy that. I'm used to the WCHA rinks where Kato is one of the smaller ones. That makes a lot more sense now.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                            I don't know where you've been the last forever, but RPI is a member of the EZAC.
                            It looks like the 'Tute isn't going to the HEA, so anything is possible.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                              If you call 20-40% capacity, "working for them," then okay. I'd rather see a good crowd (i.e. a full building) than something half empty or worse.
                              *shrug* The ECAC and Atlantic Hockey leagues have utilized the same venues (or similar sized neutral arenas) for almost a decade. The switch for ECAC to Atlantic City started last season, and was a three year deal. They seem to be okay with it. I'm sure additional sponsorship dollars for being part of such an event help offset costs of renting the facilities *cough*Red Baron WCHA Final Five*cough*.

ECAC
                              Times Union Center, Albany, NY (14,236)
                              2004 - Friday - 5,641 (39.6%); Saturday - 6,489 (45.6%)
                              2005 - Friday - 7,580 (53.2%); Saturday - 8,637 (60.7%)
                              2006 - Friday - 6,255 (43.9%); Saturday - 7,093 (49.8%)
                              2007 - Friday - 4,484 (31.5%); Saturday - 5,565 (39.1%)
                              2008 - Friday - 5,074 (35.6%); Saturday - 4,851 (34.1%)
                              2009 - Friday - 3,517 (24.7%); Saturday - 4,857 (34.1%)
                              2010 - Friday - 0 (0.0%); Saturday - 6,505 (45.7%) @
                              Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, NJ (10,500)
                              2011 - Friday - 3,351 (23.5%); Saturday - 4,126 (29.0%)
                              2012 - Friday - 3,462 (33.0%); Saturday - 4,131 (39.4%)
                              2013 - Future, but committed to this arena.

Atlantic Hockey
                              Tate Rink, West Point, NY (2,648) #
                              2004 - Friday - 842 (31.8%); Saturday - 1,428 (53.9%)
                              Northford Ice Pavilion, Northford, CT (1,000) $
                              2005 - Friday - 1,000 (100%); Saturday - 1,000 (100%)
                              Hart Center, Worcester, MA (1,600) $
                              2006 - Friday - 2,000 (125%); Saturday - 2,000 (125%)
                              Blue Cross Arena, Rochester, NY (13,000)
                              2007 - Friday - 780 (6.0%); Saturday - 713 (5.5%)
                              2008 - Friday - 1,430 (11.0%); Saturday - 3,933 (30.3%); Sunday 1,468 (11.3%) &
                              2009 - Friday - 2,555 (19.7%); Saturday - 827 (6.4%)
                              2010 - Friday - 1,803 (13.9%); Saturday - 3,298 (25.4%)
                              2011 - Friday - 2,230 (17.2%); Saturday - 3,400 (26.2%)
                              2012 - Friday - 3,287 (25.3%); Saturday - 2,433 (18.7%)

@ - No attendance listed for either of Friday's games on Collegehockeystats.net
                              # - Hosted by Army
                              $ - Played at Regular Season Champ's Rink
                              & - Atlantic Hockey played a Final Five / Three day series

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I will agree Moose that a full building would be nice, but at what cost should that happen? How marketable is it for the WCHA to rotate amongst the league or let the league champ host? I can't imagine crowning the league champion in scenic Big Rapids, MI in front of a potential 2,500 people (realistically, 1,300) would be worth it to the league.

A lot of sponsorship dollars can be tied to a central venue, which can make it profitable even with a lack of attendance.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X