This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The New WCHA (2013-14)

Re: Elton John, $139 was for the best seats; there were also $79 and $39 seats, and the Civic Center isn't all that big (about 5000 max for hockey, about 8000 with floor seating for concerts,) so even the $39 seats wouldn't be bad.

Yes, the Civic Center is grossly underutilized, and that's a problem they're trying to address: how to get more events booked in there.
    My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
      You would have to end the regular season one week earlier, and given that some teams will be able to play 38 games might make it more difficult to schedule and have all the required off weeks. One issue that I don't think anyone has mentioned with holding the finals as a best of three is that NCAA selection committee makes their announcement on Sunday in the early afternoon, meaning that you could not play the deciding game on Sunday but would have to have the finals be a Thursday-Friday-Sat (if needed) set-up and that could take a lot away from ticket sales and atmosphere of holding the games on campus.
      If it comes down to two teams on a Sunday deciding game, I don't see that making such an issue. Yes its possible an AQ not in the pairwise could step in but that position is already saved on the bracket just a question of where to put the team. Could hold a team on the bubble at 16 or 15 but you would know the #1 seeds already most likely.

I seem to remember the B1G bouncy ball tourney once finishing at almost the same time they were about to reveal the bouncy bracket.

I think it is workable to finish on a Sunday, can even hold the game earlier. NCAA can't wait a few hours??
      The more this is discussed, the more I like the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
        If it comes down to two teams on a Sunday deciding game, I don't see that making such an issue. Yes its possible an AQ not in the pairwise could step in but that position is already saved on the bracket just a question of where to put the team. Could hold a team on the bubble at 16 or 15 but you would know the #1 seeds already most likely.

I seem to remember the B1G bouncy ball tourney once finishing at almost the same time they were about to reveal the bouncy bracket.

I think it is workable to finish on a Sunday, can even hold the game earlier. NCAA can't wait a few hours??
        I'm sure that the NCAA would not want to have to make up two distinct brackets to account for what might happen in a playoff game. the results of that game can have significant impact on the RPI and PWR of both the teams involved, any teams that have played them during the season, and those close to them in the rankings. Given how rigidly the hockey committee has followed the numbers, they don't have anywhere near the flexibility that the basketball committee does in selecting/seeding teams. Basically creates twice the work for the committee and kills any chance of having the selection show broadcast.

It wouldn't surprise me for the NCAA to say no to any Sunday championship games.

Comment

What if you worked down the teams to four,( from 9 at this point) and had a single elimination, (friday, Saturday,) tournament at the number 1 seed's rink. Would that save you a week of time, and would it be workable?
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post

But you put your champion in a bad spot by playing a Sunday game, travelling to get home, then possibly having to play again on Friday in the NCAA with travel included, and any team they might face has had at least one more day off.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
              Several folks have mentioned the possibility of allowing seeded teams to host tournament games throughout the playoffs. While this may sound like a good idea (especially from a fan's perspective) these's a MAJOR flaw. The arenas at all nine schools would have to hold themselves open for three consecutive weekends 'in case' their team earns home ice. Ice Arenas are expensive pieces of property, and need to generate income to stay functional. They can't afford to turn away potential bookings, and then sit empty.
              good point
              Originally posted by mtu_huskies
              "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
              Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
              Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                good point
                Not so much.

UAA and UAF have scheduling priority for their arenas. As mentioned earlier ...
                NMU, Tech, LSSU, Ferris and Bowling Green all have their own facilities.
                ... so that just leaves Mankato (which was spoken for as not having a problem) and Bemidji ... (I'm guessing they won't have a problem holding an extra weekend).

Comment

At this level its going to be about which team stays focussed, ignores the limelight and wants the win. Any of these teams can win it all. I don't buy the BC/Minnesota victor will rule. Ferris and Union have played and beat too many "Powers" this year to be impressed. Since January 1,

UNION is scoring 3.95 goals/game and holding opponents to 1.66 goals/game (21 games)
                  B.C is scoring 3.54 goals/game and holding opponents to 1.67 goals/game (22 games)
                  Ferris is scoring 3.29 goals/game and holding opponenest to 2.24 goals/game (21 games)
                  Minnesota is scoring 3.05 goals/game and holding opponenst to 2.29 goals/game (21 games)

League play is a hard one to call. I think this year the leaguse are more evenly matched. In the Playoffs thus far:

ECAC 3-1
                  WCHA 4-3
                  Hockey East 3-3
                  CCHA 2-4

My guess would be that "This Year" the ECAC has gotten more competitive and the CCHA less so and HE and WCHA are just tough again. Who is going to take it? Which team wants it more. Which team has acid in the gut. Goaltenders and Defense and Depth are all great but which teams wants it so badly they can taste it. I don't know? None of the teams are playing like they want to go home anytime soon.
                  DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                  DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

If the nWCHA wants to be cutting edge they need to have shoot outs with one exception. Conduct the shoot out before the game begins.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                      I'm sure that the NCAA would not want to have to make up two distinct brackets to account for what might happen in a playoff game. the results of that game can have significant impact on the RPI and PWR of both the teams involved, any teams that have played them during the season, and those close to them in the rankings. Given how rigidly the hockey committee has followed the numbers, they don't have anywhere near the flexibility that the basketball committee does in selecting/seeding teams. Basically creates twice the work for the committee and kills any chance of having the selection show broadcast. It wouldn't surprise me for the NCAA to say no to any Sunday championship games.
                      They do this now with bouncy ball, having to wait till the end to finalize things. Most of the bracket already being set up.

If a 3rd game is such an issue then make it two games, total goals if the series ends 1-1.

Another option if one less day of rest is an issue is (which already happens depending when you bracket plays) start it all a week early and you'll have week of rest and prep. Is there a rule as to when you can start your conference playoffs?

If you go to single elimination at the #1 rink then you go back to your original problem as to who is going to watch the other two teams play in the non-home semi? And if the home team loses the semi will people come out to watch the final? You might as well go to the Thurs Fri Sat and hope for a big crowd on Thurs because at least its a Championship series.

Comment

• Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                        Not so much.

UAA and UAF have scheduling priority for their arenas. As mentioned earlier ... ... so that just leaves Mankato (which was spoken for as not having a problem) and Bemidji ... (I'm guessing they won't have a problem holding an extra weekend).
                        Do the Alaska's pay rent at the Carlson or Sully for potential playoff weekends, regardless if games are played?
                        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                          Not related to the hockey talk, but that sounds like an incredible waste of what should be a valueable resource (the building).
                          As already stated, yes, it's a waste of a building. That's part of the reason that they are trying to get more cash from the state to renovate and draw more smaller events to the building. By bringing more conventions and small gatherings in the non-arena portion of the building, they think they should be able to make it more of a region attraction. It isn't a bad facility, it just doesn't compare to the rest of the WCHA's facilities.
                          Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

The main holdup with last-minute tournament setups---even holding it in the regular-season #1's home facility, which gives you a 2-3 week head start---is hotel rooms. You have to have months of notice to be able to hold blocks of rooms to let people travel to a tournament.

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Bemidji has scheduling priority in The Sanford Center.

The CHA always held their tournament while the other leagues were having in their quarterfinals. That gave the CHA team an extra week off to recover before the NCAA Tournament.
                              Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                              FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                              NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                              NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                              NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                              NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                              Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                              Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                                The main holdup with last-minute tournament setups---even holding it in the regular-season #1's home facility, which gives you a 2-3 week head start---is hotel rooms. You have to have months of notice to be able to hold blocks of rooms to let people travel to a tournament.

GFM
                                As I said earlier, I don't see why you couldn't have every school block off rooms before the season, then release the rooms when it becomes clear that said school isn't going to host (say, when the school is mathematically eliminated from the regular season title).

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                                The CHA always held their tournament while the other leagues were having in their quarterfinals. That gave the CHA team an extra week off to recover before the NCAA Tournament.
                                And in hindsight, that "extra week off" might have killed any momentum BSU had once they reached the Frozen Four. Note, by the time the Beavers stepped on the ice in DC, they were playing just their 3rd game in almost 4 weeks (CHA Championship game 3/14/09, Midwest Regionals 3/28 & 29/09, Frozen Four 4/9/09).
                                Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                                B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                                CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                                ECAC:
                                HEA: UMass
                                NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                                Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Working...
                                X