This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The New WCHA (2013-14)

Several folks have mentioned the possibility of allowing seeded teams to host tournament games throughout the playoffs. While this may sound like a good idea (especially from a fan's perspective) these's a MAJOR flaw. The arenas at all nine schools would have to hold themselves open for three consecutive weekends 'in case' their team earns home ice. Ice Arenas are expensive pieces of property, and need to generate income to stay functional. They can't afford to turn away potential bookings, and then sit empty.
    Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
      two weekends of three gamers then a weekend of one and dones. top 2 (?) get a bye in the first round
      Top 4 get a first round bye. 5 v 12, 6 v 11, 7 v 10 and 8 v 9 in a best of 3. The four winners advance to play best of three series against the Top 4 seeds and those winners advance to the AHA tourney.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
        Several folks have mentioned the possibility of allowing seeded teams to host tournament games throughout the playoffs. While this may sound like a good idea (especially from a fan's perspective) these's a MAJOR flaw. The arenas at all nine schools would have to hold themselves open for three consecutive weekends 'in case' their team earns home ice. Ice Arenas are expensive pieces of property, and need to generate income to stay functional. They can't afford to turn away potential bookings, and then sit empty.
        That's a very good point. NMU, Tech, LSSU, Ferris and Bowling Green all have their own facilities. The others have had to hold dates for two potential rounds of playoffs in the past.
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
          That's a very good point. NMU, Tech, LSSU, Ferris and Bowling Green all have their own facilities. The others have had to hold dates for two potential rounds of playoffs in the past.
          It's honestly not a problem in Kato. The arena part of the building sits empty for most weekends anyway. There are probably only 5-7 weekend events over the course of a year in the arena other than hockey.
          Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post
            It's honestly not a problem in Kato. The arena part of the building sits empty for most weekends anyway. There are probably only 5-7 weekend events over the course of a year in the arena other than hockey.
            Not related to the hockey talk, but that sounds like an incredible waste of what should be a valueable resource (the building).
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
              Not related to the hockey talk, but that sounds like an incredible waste of what should be a valueable resource (the building).
              They did get Elton John to come to town this Spring..nuts right?

There are random concerts and conventions but never anything large anymore. Elton John is clearly one of the biggest, as it sold out in 11 minutes.
              AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                This. The Pairwise as constructed would require total domination by a conference to get more than more than half their teams in, meaning there will be bids left behind by the Big Ten and NCHC available.

The CCHA's relative strength this season got them 3 solid bids, two 4 seeds that didn't clinch until the final day and 3 of the 4 "next teams out". 8 of the top 20. Not bad. Too bad 5 were in the 13-20 range.
                Wouldn't the RPI of the WCHA be watered down in the nWCHA with UMN, SCSU, WISCONSIN, UND, DU, C.C. Leaving?
                Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
                Eric's Twitter
                The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                  They did get Elton John to come to town this Spring..nuts right?

There are random concerts and conventions but never anything large anymore. Elton John is clearly one of the biggest, as it sold out in 11 minutes.
                  Elton John is playing in Mankato? That's crazy. Elton John would sell out the **** Xcel Energy Center!
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
                    Wouldn't the RPI of the WCHA be watered down in the nWCHA with UMN, SCSU, WISCONSIN, UND, DU, C.C. Leaving?
                    I don't know where you've been the last forever, but RPI is a member of the EZAC.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Elton John is playing in Mankato? That's crazy. Elton John would sell out the **** Xcel Energy Center!
                      $139 a seat I think they were. Crazy, huh?

Sunday, April 22 8:00 PM
                      Arena

Elton John will perform at Mankato’s Verizon Wireless Center on Sunday April 22 at 8 p.m. His concert will feature number one chart hits and classic album tracks from throughout Elton’s incredible five-decade career.

Elton John puts on the kind of concert you will never forget: the entire audience standing, dancing and singing along with much-loved classic songs such as “Your Song,” “Rocket Man,” “Bennie and the Jets,” “Philadelphia Freedom,” “Crocodile Rock,” “Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me” and many more.

The monumental career of international singer/songwriter and performer Elton John spans five decades. He is one of the top-selling solo artists of all time, with 35 gold and 25 platinum albums, 29 consecutive Top 40 hits, and he has sold more than 250 million records worldwide. John holds the record for the biggest selling single of all time, “Candle in the Wind ’97,” which sold 37 million copies. Since his career began in 1969 he has played almost 3,000 concerts worldwide.
                      AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                        $139 a seat I think they were. Crazy, huh?
                        I wouldn't spend that much money to go, but, despite me not liking that kind of music, I have to admit, he's got quite a few good ones. How do they not mention Tiny Dancer in his songs? That's his best. Also, I paid more than that for concert tickets this summer...oops.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I wouldn't spend that much money to go, but, despite me not liking that kind of music, I have to admit, he's got quite a few good ones. How do they not mention Tiny Dancer in his songs? That's his best. Also, I paid more than that for concert tickets this summer...oops.
                          It's a pretty decent deal for Mankato people. Saves a lot of money on gas, etc. than driving to the X for the concert, so it really turns out to be decent I suppose. I wouldn't spend it, but a lot of people that love his music most definitely will and did.
                          AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
                            It will depend on how the teams in the nWCHA do in NC games. The conference portion of the schedule will push the RPI of teams towards 0.500 (for every game a conference team loses another conference team wins which comes out as a wash (or near wash) given how the RPI is calculated)

Comment

will there be any issues with additional weeks of play having a tournament at members sites?
                              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                                will there be any issues with additional weeks of play having a tournament at members sites?
                                You would have to end the regular season one week earlier, and given that some teams will be able to play 38 games might make it more difficult to schedule and have all the required off weeks.

One issue that I don't think anyone has mentioned with holding the finals as a best of three is that NCAA selection committee makes their announcement on Sunday in the early afternoon, meaning that you could not play the deciding game on Sunday but would have to have the finals be a Thursday-Friday-Sat (if needed) set-up and that could take a lot away from ticket sales and atmosphere of holding the games on campus.

Comment

Working...
                                X