This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
    wait ... What about winnipeg?? Its more centrally located!!
    it should not be in canada!!
    My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

• Re: The New WCHA (2013-14)

The ECAC fans wouldn't mind if you took Atlantic City from us.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
        it should not be in canada!!
        Don't get me wrong, wherever it is should be well researched. But what I hear from you is that you would rather an empty Joe Louis, than a full wfcu arena 1 miles away. No I'm not saying it should be there but you get the point. If everything else is equal and all the wcha fans who want to are going, why not?
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
          Don't get me wrong, wherever it is should be well researched. But what I hear from you is that you would rather an empty Joe Louis, than a full wfcu arena 1 miles away. No I'm not saying it should be there but you get the point. If everything else is equal and all the wcha fans who want to are going, why not?
          People have already talked about the passport issue, for one. For another, why should money generated by American universities go to a Canadian city?
          My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

I think we get the point 'spreader, it's just that it doesn't seem practical to have it in Canada when we have options for rinks of similar size on US soil. I also have to question attendance in Soo Canada, even though I'm well aware it's a hockey-crazy community, and that LSSU used to draw some fans over the bridge back when they were dominant. If LSSU does not make it to the Essar, then what is the local interest level going to be like? And now you're forcing every stateside fan to get passports just to be able to attend? I don't see this working out.

Comment

Play the tourney in Bemidji every year. Because BSU went out of their way to find a solution they get an auto bid every year. BSU will wear their road jersies to negate the home ice perception that might be generated. You are welcome.

Seriously though, no tourney. Top teams from regular season earn home ice for post season play. Best of three. Top seed is always home until a champ is crowned. Divide the revenue.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                I think we get the point 'spreader, it's just that it doesn't seem practical to have it in Canada when we have options for rinks of similar size on US soil. I also have to question attendance in Soo Canada, even though I'm well aware it's a hockey-crazy community, and that LSSU used to draw some fans over the bridge back when they were dominant. If LSSU does not make it to the Essar, then what is the local interest level going to be like? And now you're forcing every stateside fan to get passports just to be able to attend? I don't see this working out.
                Meh, I agree a US site would be preferable, for instance the Sanford Center would be a great place, but the same questions apply, what if Bemidji gets knocked out the first day, will there be anyone there after that, and how many fans from other schools would be able to go. I see your point on the other arena's, but from a finance point of view the league has to go where they have the best chance of making money. We simply cannot take much of a risk, and there are not that many arenas that are centrally located, and are not too large. I just hope they consider all options is all, remember I suggested the arena in Toledo too, it's close to a lot of fans and is a nice place.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by gmann View Post
                  Seriously though, no tourney. Top teams from regular season earn home ice for post season play. Best of three. Top seed is always home until a champ is crowned. Divide the revenue.
                  I like gmann's idea: home ice advantage to top teams; best of three all the way through; top seed always home; divvy up the revenue from all gates, etc. I think the semi-final rounds and the final would draw especially well.
                  NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

• Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
                    I like gmann's idea: home ice advantage to top teams; best of three all the way through; top seed always home; divvy up the revenue from all gates, etc. I think the semi-final rounds and the final would draw especially well.
                    This idea has been mentioned before and I like it. Keep it simple. In fact, I have been communicating that message to anyone willing to listen and I encourage those that are interested to contact the AD or others within your respective programs.

This conference does not have the fan base nor the rivalries nor the finances to have a tourney. IMHO a tourney is just not practical. Not now anyways.

This conference has a rare opportunity to create a niche for itself. Hopefully the master minds that will be running the show are surrounded by individuals with fresh ideas who are willing and able to think outside the box.
                    Last edited by gmann; 04-01-2012, 07:26 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

I really hope they don't actually think of putting it in Canada. **** that. Terrible idea.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        I really hope they don't actually think of putting it in Canada. **** that. Terrible idea.
                        Don't worry, that's not an option.
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
                          I like the idea as well. The only downside I see is if the AQ goes to the playoff winner, there will be slight less chance of getting an "extra" team into the post season as the #1 seed being at home would be favored. Will this be a 1, 2, 3 team NCAA tourney league? I think 2 will make it, not sure where the 3rd would be stolen from.

Comment

It's going to be like the ECAC. 1-2 teams per year make the dance, meaning OOC wins will be huge.

I also like the idea of NHL-style playoffs. I think it's the only way you can guarantee at least some attendance for every playoff game.

Comment

I think that Bemidji fans can attest to the excitement of having the playoffs in your barn. I'm still mad that we didn't knock the Beavs off in the Glas. As others have said, though, rotating tournaments don't work well when the host school loses out. Whoever mentioned the CHA tournament in Niagara where they lost first-round was right: Tumbleweed City, Pop. Parents and Diehard Fans.

I love the idea of playoffs almost as much as I love the idea of UAH being in the WCHA. I hereby promise to be in the earhole of our people should we get in. Double pinky swear.

GFM <-- not kidding.
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Lets say the league goes to a best of three playoff series all the way through, three rounds (number 9 left out). You could have a team playing a possible 47 games in one season and that is before making the NCAA tournament.

Two trips to Alaska to get four extra games on the schedule, 38 games in the regular season.

Three best of three series that go the full three games, 9 games.

Add in four possible NCAA games, that would run the total to 51 if a nWCHA team made it all the way to the Championship game!

A selling point for recruits or not? Hmmmm.......
                                Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                                FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                                NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                                NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                                NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                                NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                                Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                                Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Working...
                                X