This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The New WCHA (2013-14)

FWIW, I emailed Rob Demovsky of the GB Press Gazzette about UWGB in that story from the News Miner and the Resch Center maybe being involved in a possible WCHA tourney. I got this not-surprising response:

The UWGB hockey thing isn't happening. That athletic department couldn't fund that. Plus, there would be major Title IX issues. The school issued a statement saying it doesn't know why its name would be mentioned in that story because it has had no discussions with the WCHA.
    Not sure about the Resch Center as a possible venue for that tournament. I will look into it.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
      so i have a question. Let's say that every so often my team goes up to alaska twice in a season. Do i get two exemptions? In other words 4 extra games either at home or whatever.
      yes
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
        I'd love to see it happen, but costs would be an issue and attendance would be lousy. With all due respect to the hardcore Seawolves boosters who are diehards, this has (unfortunately) turned into an ECHL town. You'd have a hard time getting more than the puckhead diehards to show up, especially if neither Alaska school was playing.
        That is true, but even the defending Kelly Cup Aces, who are by far the best team in the ECHL this season, are also struggling to fill the Sully. They had 4600 for last Fri and Sat, and that is very unusual. I think it all has to do with the economy. This proves that winning does not always bring in the fans.
        Originally Posted by aparch
        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

I may be way off topic here, as I only went back to about page 9, but I get that this whole re-alignment was about money and screw the small schools, is there any way we can get back at them(big schools), even a little bit? We could refuse to play them, I know, that would only likely hurt us. The whole thing just makes me so mad since they want the game to be about Michigan vs Wisconsin and not Tech vs LSSU. They are taking away what I love about college hockey, Northern has a chance to compete against a Michigan State in the current format. Big schools don't like that, so through money and influence they are taking it away. I guess if your a Big Ten guy you can laugh and say so what? I'd just like a chance to kick em in the knee once, real hard, before we go, as we cower in need of their almighty dollar.
          “They are a **** site better than the U.S. Army, at least we know that they will be there in the morning.”
          – Lewis B. Chesty Puller
          when a journalist asked him about being surrounded by 22. enemy divisions

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
            That is true, but even the defending Kelly Cup Aces, who are by far the best team in the ECHL this season, are also struggling to fill the Sully. They had 4600 for last Fri and Sat, and that is very unusual. I think it all has to do with the economy. This proves that winning does not always bring in the fans.
            Don't think that I'm standing up for the Aces, because I'm not, but mid-season games aren't going to be a big draw. They usually fill that barn up late-season and playoffs. Besides, we need to keep the product in context here; ECHL may be a step up from D1, but it's not a very big step. I think a big reason the Aces draw more has to do with fighting and beer drinking at your seats. I can't think of any other reason anyone would want to listen to Bob Lester's cheer leading for three hours.
            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
              Don't think that I'm standing up for the Aces, because I'm not, but mid-season games aren't going to be a big draw. They usually fill that barn up late-season and playoffs. Besides, we need to keep the product in context here; ECHL may be a step up from D1, but it's not a very big step. I think a big reason the Aces draw more has to do with fighting and beer drinking at your seats. I can't think of any other reason anyone would want to listen to Bob Lester's cheer leading for three hours.
              You hit it on the nail. The Aces make there money in the playoffs not reg. season. Although if i remember correctly they didn't sellout any of the playoff games last season (at least the ones i was at were not full).
              Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Originally posted by seawolfpunk View Post
                You hit it on the nail. The Aces make there money in the playoffs not reg. season. Although if i remember correctly they didn't sellout any of the playoff games last season (at least the ones i was at were not full).
                You are correct, they did not sell out. The games were going to be on TV only if the Sully was sold out, otherwise they were blacked out locally. And they were all blacked out locally.
                Originally Posted by aparch
                I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by seawolfpunk View Post
                  Yeah their first round games weren't sellouts but the next two rounds were. They pump up the ticket prices and beer sales and that's how they make their money. And the ECHL practically gifts playoff births to the western teams, 8 teams and 7 make the playoffs.

Only way a tournament in Anchorage works is if UAA and UAF make it and play in the final.
                  U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                  Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                  But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                  Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                  Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                    yes
                    Huh? I was under the impression that no matter how many regular season trips to Alaska are made, the two game bonus exemption is all that is allowed.

And as stated before, post season trips North do not get an exemption.

NMU once made three flights to Alaska for a weekend series (two scheduled, one playoff) within one calendar year.
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by jdmaxim23 View Post
                      We are moving forward with the idea of adding a 10th team to round out the schedule and playoff format. Ideally that team is MSU-Moorhead so that we can solidify the Fargo/Moorhead market and its in the footprint of MN's hockey fan base. If the Iowa State and UW-Green bay rumors are true, than great, we can go to twelve and split into geographical divisions.

I loved the interview on CHT with Denver's coach, and it is getting so annoying that nobody will answer the question what Miami and Western michigan offers that BSU and MSU-mankato didnt??
                      Good points, out of those three locations which is easiest to get in an out of? Offices out of Chicago or Green Bay?

A high quality stream would be a great idea as many of the schools will not be seen on TV.

What is the word on MSU-M?

Green Bay seems so fickle regarding hockey. Though it seems the Gamblers do a decent job, there is so little support for any lower level hockey in the area and that is where you grow fans. Would Chicago work as it is easy to get in and out of for fans? I don't think I would ever hold it in the Detroit area. Their insight into hockey goes about 50-75 miles.

The interview was PRICELESS.

All that said I see Bruce keeping it status quo.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                        Huh? I was under the impression that no matter how many regular season trips to Alaska are made, the two game bonus exemption is all that is allowed.

And as stated before, post season trips North do not get an exemption.

NMU once made three flights to Alaska for a weekend series (two scheduled, one playoff) within one calendar year.
                        Actually the post season trip is exempted, as are all post season games. As for the first part, you can't make two trips to Anchorage to play the seawolves and get 4 games exempt but if you make a trip to Anchorage and a trip to fairbanks, you most certainly can get 4 games exempted and and play 38 regular season games.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post

Green Bay seems so fickle regarding hockey. Though it seems the Gamblers do a decent job, there is so little support for any lower level hockey in the area and that is where you grow fans.
                          Really? St Norbert draws the best crowds in their league, with several crowds over 1000 this year. There is a strong youth hockey program and high school hockey also draws well. Check out Ashwaubenon or Notre Dame.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Youth hockey in wisconsin is growing, no doubt.I'm sure interest will grow as time goes by but SJ does have a point, the final five money will be mostly gone and the challenge now is to find a way to get some exposure/ revenue and minimize costs. If they can make money in Green Bay I think it has the inside track, However a conference site is, I'm sure, not out of the question. Especially at first. One other possibility, isn't there another arena in the Soo that could host?

I suspect based on the previous posts that teams are in the middle of figuring out how to use those two exemptions.As certain fans pointed out previously it is an additional home weekend, maybe. The season is already really long and finding a slot for it might be difficult, especially with two trips to Alaska. Though certainly it would bring in some money.
                            Green bay air connections are not terrible, but pretty much you have to go to Chicago, Minneapolis or Detroit first. Whereas from the major cities it's direct to most everywhere.
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

the silence from the WCHA is deafening. they need to get moving. off DU campus, out of Denver into new media.
                              Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                              "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                              Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                              Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                                Actually the post season trip is exempted, as are all post season games. As for the first part, you can't make two trips to Anchorage to play the seawolves and get 4 games exempt but if you make a trip to Anchorage and a trip to fairbanks, you most certainly can get 4 games exempted and and play 38 regular season games.
                                I've always had it explained that it's one exemption per year. No matter how many Alaskan universities you play against.
                                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X