X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The New WCHA (2013-14)

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    ...we have the McLeod Cup if anyone's interested!

GFM
    Is it immortal?
    My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
      Is it immortal?
      We're engineers, man. It's possible with enough government funding [or so we'll tell you to get the funding].

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
        *shrug* The ECAC and Atlantic Hockey leagues have utilized the same venues (or similar sized neutral arenas) for almost a decade. The switch for ECAC to Atlantic City started last season, and was a three year deal. They seem to be okay with it. I'm sure additional sponsorship dollars for being part of such an event help offset costs of renting the facilities
        Just to clarify; except for the people who approved this dumb idea, the ECAC is not okay with it. Not only was our final 4 in a 60% empty building, it wasn't even on TV!
        Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
        Clarkson 1990

Comment

The Mason Cup wil be available.
          Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

So to wander back to a much earlier discussion on the WCHA / CCHA logo... I'd like to see a nod to the past. I know the flying skater used now is similar to the really old CCHA one, but, I'd like to see something like this:

The CCHA logo was nice and compact, and the turning skater was a nice effect for the logo.
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
              The Mason Cup wil be available.
              Didn't you hear they are going to call it the Herb Brooks Memorial Cup.
              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

So what's a nine-team schedule going to look like? I have to wonder if having Alabama in your schedule every year is better than Alaska in your schedule every year, or worse twice in a season.

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                  So what's a nine-team schedule going to look like? I have to wonder if having Alabama in your schedule every year is better than Alaska in your schedule every year, or worse twice in a season.

GFM
                  I would think playing in Alabama would be preferred over an additional trip to Alaska.
                  AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

GFM
                    The schedule will be 28 games. You will play six opponents 4 times each and the other two twice each.As far as Huntsville on the schedule, it's much nice in Huntsville in January than it is in Fairbanks.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                      I would think playing in Alabama would be preferred over an additional trip to Alaska.
                      Not if the Alaska games are exempt.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                        I still think that the "value" of the exemption to the schools that remain in the WCHA is significantly overestimated.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                          We talk about this a lot, and it's an important point of course, but it's not as if there are a lot of teams out there with openings on their schedule. Back in 2010-11 when UAH was (relatively) hurting for games, I sat down and looked to see who could play UAH in a series given the weekends that were open. I found two schools, and one of them was a school that was already playing us. It's not as if I was looking for a game in February, either. Just because you get two games with an Alaska trip doesn't mean that the hockey gods open up the skies and rain down a game upon your fertile ground.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

We talk about this a lot, and it's an important point of course, but it's not as if there are a lot of teams out there with openings on their schedule. Back in 2010-11 when UAH was (relatively) hurting for games, I sat down and looked to see who could play UAH in a series given the weekends that were open. I found two schools, and one of them was a school that was already playing us. It's not as if I was looking for a game in February, either. Just because you get two games with an Alaska trip doesn't mean that the hockey gods open up the skies and rain down a game upon your fertile ground.

GFM
                            Your anecdote doesn't apply. Looking at open dates today on a calendar that is made up yesterday means nothing. I'm sure you just offered it as an example. Q and A follows:

Every team has ooc games to get to 34? Yes?
                            Do lots of schools HAVE to play some percentage of those ooc games on the road? Yes.
                            Will having exemptions help those schools play more ooc games at home? Yes.
                            Is there anything stopping conference members from playing ooc games against other conference members? No.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                              I still think that the "value" of the exemption to the schools that remain in the WCHA is significantly overestimated.
                              Actually that value is even greater now, with a few schools making two trips. That will allow more non conference games, meaning you can generate more revenue by playing at home, or take "money" games. With the loss of Final Five revenue by the old WCHA school, any opportunity to generate more revenue is critical.
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                                Actually that value is even greater now, with a few schools making two trips. That will allow more non conference games, meaning you can generate more revenue by playing at home, or take "money" games. With the loss of Final Five revenue by the old WCHA school, any opportunity to generate more revenue is critical.
                                Agreed. Also, if you look at how the CCHA playoffs went, I'd bet they made no money on the playoffs and might have lost quite a bit, whereas the WCHA teams were making money. So if it can be structured now such that league games make a little more and if the playoffs can be cash flow positive rather than negative, then we should be ok. I just can't see how the league can commit to anything right now that is a big loser. So going to the JLA for the playoffs seems kind of nuts to me.
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X