X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The New WCHA (2013-14)

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    Ok here's a few more ideas.
    I like holding it in the soo. There are quite a number of hockey fans in the soo, it's close to one of the schools, it's centrally located, and here's the kicker. How about Soo Canada. The essar center holds what 5000 fans, and it's a nice arena. Would be worth looking into as well. second idea. students don't normally pay much money to go to a playoff series, alumni do. So Van Andel being near alumni might work as long as it's not too expensive. I'm against the campus sites for the reasons beaver hockey mentioned plus a few more. I think you have to find a neutral site that can 1, not lose too much money, 2. be close enough to go to and 3, will be willing to work with the league to get local people in. Having in soo canada might do all of those things. The greyhounds might not like it but it's not their arena.
    The ESSAR Center is nice. Can be one hell of a wait to get back in from CA.

Comment

How 'bout this:

Forget a tourney. Play three weeks of best of three series, starting by dropping the 9th (any maybe 10th) place teams. Week 1 of the post season, best of three 1 hosts 8, 2 hosts 7, 3 hosts 6 and 4 hosts 5. Week 2, 1 hosts 4 and 2 hosts 3. Final week, championship three game set at high seed.

Honestly, this may be the best (financial) deal available. You don't have to fly multiple teams to Alaska unless they are 1 and 2 in the final standings - which would be a problem in the current format anyway. Plus, instead of worrying about attendance where home teams (or close teams) are still alive, every game is played in front of a home crowd. Let's look at a hypothetical post-season (loosely based on this years standings):

Week 1:

9) UAA is eliminated
      1) Ferris hosts 8) BGSU
      2) NMU hosts 7) Mankato
      3) LSSU hosts 6) Alaska
      4) Tech hosts 5) BSU

Week 2:

1) Ferris hosts 4) Tech
      2) NMU hosts 3) LSSU

Week 3:

1) Ferris hosts 2) NMU

Now, let's look at attendance. Tech averaged 2,898; NMU 2,964; LSSU 2,154 and Ferris 1,945. Let's, for argument's sake, say that every series went just 2 games. Home attendance for this "tourney" would be:

1) Ferris (6 games) 11,670
      2) NMU (4 games) 11,856
      3) LSSU (2 games) 4,308
      4) Tech (2 games) 5,796

For a total of - 33,630 *

Figure a ticket price of $20, and all of a sudden, revenue is at least $672,600 + concessions, parking, etc.

Also keep in mind that the top 4 teams in average attendance (BSU, Mankato, UAA, UA_) would not have had a home game in this demonstration. Not to mention a series of two maybe going three games.

* note that this figure tops every current conference tourney except the WCHA Final Five.
      Last edited by moose97; 03-27-2012, 06:38 PM. Reason: brain fart
      Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
      B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
      CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
      ECAC:
      HEA: UMass
      NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
      Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

• Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
        Green Bay didn't draw flies for the NCAA regional, why would they draw for the "New WCHA?"
        Beer sales.

The NCAA doesn't allow it, but a WCHA tourney would have no such restrictions.
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Not bad, I like the 3 game series, but is that revenue then shared with the entire conference equally? I think it would be important to equally share, to make the entire conference stronger.

Maybe 9 should play 8 or does that stretch it out to far? Now what if you have 10 teams?

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
          How 'bout this:Forget a tourney. Play three weeks of best of three series, starting by dropping the 9th (any maybe 10th) place teams. Week 1 of the post season, best of three 1 hosts 8, 2 hosts 7, 3 hosts 6 and 4 hosts 5. Week 2, 1 hosts 4 and 2 hosts 3. Final week, championship three game set at high seed.Honestly, this may be the best (financial) deal available. You don't have to fly multiple teams to Alaska unless they are 1 and 2 in the final standings - which would be a problem in the current format anyway. Plus, instead of worrying about attendance where home teams (or close teams) are still alive, every game is played in front of a home crowd. Let's look at a hypothetical post-season (loosely based on this years standings):
          Figure a ticket price of $20, and all of a sudden, revenue is at least $672,600 + concessions, parking, etc.
          Also keep in mind that the top 4 teams in average attendance (BSU, Mankato, UAA, UA_) would not have had a home game in this demonstration. Not to mention a series of two maybe going three games.
          * note that this figure tops every current conference tourney except the WCHA Final Five.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
            Not bad, I like the 3 game series, but is that revenue then shared with the entire conference equally? I think it would be important to equally share, to make the entire conference stronger.
            Ideally, yes. Share with everyone. However, first teams need to have arena expenses and travel cost covered. If there is excess, then disperse to everyone equally.

Originally posted by giwan View Post
            Maybe 9 should play 8 or does that stretch it out to far? Now what if you have 10 teams?
            I don't think you can go 4 weeks of playoffs. Especially if it's just one series. Maybe you could have #9 and #8 travel to #1 (and #10 and #7 to #2) and have a "play-in" game, but that's just adding to conference cost with little added revenue for the conference (two more teams travel and you won't get much of a crowd from the #1 & #2 seeds fans).
            Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
            B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
            CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
            ECAC:
            HEA: UMass
            NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
            Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
              Ideally, yes. Share with everyone. However, first teams need to have arena expenses and travel cost covered. If there is excess, then disperse to everyone equally.

I don't think you can go 4 weeks of playoffs. Especially if it's just one series. Maybe you could have #9 and #8 travel to #1 (and #10 and #7 to #2) and have a "play-in" game, but that's just adding to conference cost with little added revenue for the conference (two more teams travel and you won't get much of a crowd from the #1 & #2 seeds fans).

I like this idea. I have heard others mention it and think it could a pretty good experiment. From a players perspective, it adds alot of potential games into the year which is always good. Between playing the Alaska teams and getting the exemptions for more games and this I think it could be an added bonus for recruiting to sell extra games, and a "NHL" style playoff format. And like you said, on years where BSU and MSU are at the top (which I think will be more than not) the attendance will take a bigger bump up yet.

I'm all for trying anything, I just hope that the Administrators are diligently reviewing this and not listening to the idiot McCleod, which by the way, why the hell is the WCHA office still in Denver?? It needs to get out of there this summer and start looking to the future cause the NCHC teams certainly are.

Comment

• Originally posted by Freddie View Post
                What ever happened to the building where UIC used to play? I remember it was pretty nice (15-20 yrs ago, anyway)
                I think the iceplant got removed. It's basically just a basketball arena now anyway for UIC. Nothing ice related in years (that I've heard).

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
                If I'm not mistaken, there's a USHL team that plays in the suburb of Bensenville...I think that's about a five-iron from O'Hare. I don't know what they hold, but a place like that might be a good starting point.
                No. It's a 2000ish seat barn. And I don't mean that nicely. The Berry Events Center is better than the the Bensenville rink. Even the Blackhawks quit using it as a practice facility.
                Originally posted by Freddie View Post
                Getting connections in/out of Chicago is easy no matter where you're coming from.
                Allstate is 16k just minutes from the B1G offices, and would be a giant middle finger to them if the WCHA was successful.

Sears Centre in Hoffman Mistakes ... Err Hoffman Estates is a little smaller and would be better.

But, I think the Bradley Center would be looked at as an option before either Chicago arenas.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by jdmaxim23 View Post
                  ...why the hell is the WCHA office still in Denver?? ...
                  I'd certainly like to know the same thing. But, I doubt the current WCHA teams want to change anything until after they leave (hence the vote to change the by-laws to vacate those teams from future decisions while keeping them for current decisions).

So, if anything, the WCHA could only vote as to where to pit the league offices AFTER the 2012-2013 season ends.

I'd like to hear them say they'll be located in Farmington Hills until and utilizing CCHA office staff.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

We can only hope that wherever they decide to move the offices, Bruce McLeod is told not to bother showing up. Once this settles down, it's time for fresh blood in the commish's office.

Comment

McLeod is welcome to take Jutting on his way out as well.
                      AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        We can only hope that wherever they decide to move the offices, Bruce McLeod is told not to bother showing up. Once this settles down, it's time for fresh blood in the commish's office.
                        Whoever it is, please let it NOT be Huskyfan's pick of the MTU alum heading up the ECAC. Because I'd like to have the tourney on some form of television. And the conference tourney held somewhere other than the dilapilated barn that the AHL all-star game was held this past season.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                          Whoever it is, please let it NOT be Huskyfan's pick of the MTU alum heading up the ECAC. Because I'd like to have the tourney on some form of television. And the conference tourney held somewhere other than the dilapilated barn that the AHL all-star game was held this past season.
                          Pretend I'm a TV exec. Why should I put out the expense to air this tourney? Will I be able to profit from it?
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by jdmaxim23 View Post
                            I'm all for trying anything, I just hope that the Administrators are diligently reviewing this and not listening to the idiot McCleod, which by the way, why the hell is the WCHA office still in Denver?? It needs to get out of there this summer and start looking to the future cause the NCHC teams certainly are.

They have offices in Madison as well. Just a guess, but the office was probably originally placed in Denver because DU is a founding member, Denver is a large city with a major airport, is close to USA Hockey's office in Colorado Springs, and I doubt they pay much for rent being on DU's campus. Don't know why they would keep them there after Denver and Colorado college leave.
                            Last edited by UMDbulldogs#1; 03-27-2012, 09:50 PM.
                            How do they expect us to throw hotdogs at the gophers with that [Expletive deleted] net in front of us?

We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard...

Original Penalty Box Member

Comment

Originally posted by UMDbulldogs#1 View Post
                              WCHA has roots in Colorado with Denver and Colorado College being founding members of the WCHA. The league offices are on DU's campus. FWIW, USA Hockey is in Colorado Springs.
                              This was understandable and known. I believe the question was more related as to why keep the office there still, which also has been discussed and answered.
                              AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                                Pretend I'm a TV exec. Why should I put out the expense to air this tourney? Will I be able to profit from it?
                                Sure, because depending on what the agreement is, the league might be buying the air time.

I think FSWisconsin could use the revenue boost (since FSNorth and FSDetroit would be airing the B1G and NCHC tourneys).

Maybe even FSMidwest and FSOhio could simulcast. Depending on the venue... And the size of the check for the air time.

Worst case, the tourney could be broadcast on Minnesota Public Television.

Seriously. I want a commissioner who can pick up a phone and dial a number correctly. One who's going to push this league forward. Unlike the ECAC commish who set back there conference media relations to the 1940's.
                                Last edited by aparch; 03-27-2012, 09:55 PM.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X