X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The New WCHA (2013-14)

Originally posted by hattrick16 View Post
    Are there any rinks in Minneapolis/St. Paul other than Xcel or Mariucci that seat 7,000 plus?
    Nope.

There are literally dozens, though, in the 3,000 seat range. Those, however, are HS/community rinks. The Wild have tried to get a 3-4000 seat "practice" rink built attached to the X that may be perfect - if it ever happens...
    Last edited by moose97; 03-27-2012, 11:29 AM.
    Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
    B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
    CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
    ECAC:
    HEA: UMass
    NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
    Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
      There's not going to be sufficient attendance to need a large neutral site. Green Bay didn't draw flies for the NCAA regional, why would they draw for the "New WCHA?" Let the higher seed host at their home arena.
      That works out great, unless you have to send three teams to Alaska on short notice.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

There's not going to be sufficient attendance to need a large neutral site. Green Bay didn't draw flies for the NCAA regional, why would they draw for the "New WCHA?" Let the higher seed host at their home arena.
        I think this goes for whatever league you are talking about not just the new WCHA. Let's face it the only league that has done well at a neutral site in college hockey is the current WCHA and the ***** clown Big Ten teams screwed that up. I know you guys have two Alaska teams which makes it hard, but I would ahve the league champion host. I also think the NCHC and Big ten should do that as well. I know the host school has a huge advantage, but at least then they get that because they earned it.
        I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

because there will be beer sales and fans of the WCHA will know if their team wins the weekend before they will play in Green Bay (no possibility of bridgeport, worcester or st paul).
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            That works out great, unless you have to send three teams to Alaska on short notice.
            Uaafanblog arriving to call you a whiner in 5, 4, 3...

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              because there will be beer sales and fans of the WCHA will know if their team wins the weekend before they will play in Green Bay (no possibility of bridgeport, worcester or st paul).
              Exactly. Additionally, Denver and Ithaca are much further away from Green Bay than the New WCHA schools, excluding the Alaskans. Like I said, not a bad drive from Big Rapids and we'd be one of the furthest (along with BGSU and BSU).
              "What I get paid for are the practices, I would play the games for nothing."
              - Tim Horton

Ferris State University
              CCHA Champions 2003 & 2012

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                Nope.

There are literally dozens, though, in the 3,000 seat range. Those, however, are HS/community rinks. The Wild have tried to get a 3-4000 seat "practice" rink built attached to the X that may be perfect - if it ever happens...

If they do this maybe they can host the B1G and WCHA tourneys at the same time in the adjacent buildings. That should be interesting.
                Just so we never forget.

Originally posted by MeanEgirl to hockeybando
                *****... *** do you think you're doing?! Getting on USCHO and making racial comments about The Darkness?! I'm not going to stand for this! He's my friend ... so the next time I see you, I'm whooping your ***!
                Originally posted by nmupiccdiva

(insert joke about an NMU girl and insertion here)

Comment

I still have a fundamental problem with giving the league tournament to a city and a state that doesn't have a league school. Just me, I guess.
                  My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                    nope.

There are literally dozens, though, in the 3,000 seat range. Those, however, are hs/community rinks. The wild have tried to get a 3-4000 seat "practice" rink built attached to the x that may be perfect - if it ever happens...
                    target center
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I still have a fundamental problem with giving the league tournament to a city and a state that doesn't have a league school. Just me, I guess.
                      so which city of the nWCHA has a "neutral" site for this tournament that would be adequate? If you can name one, feel free to tell me.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                        so which city of the nWCHA has a "neutral" site for this tournament that would be adequate? If you can name one, feel free to tell me.
                        Play it at the Pullar in the Soo, or the Calumet Armory...errrr...Colosseum!
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Even I know the answer to this question is the George Gipp Ice Arena.

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                            Even I know the answer to this question is the George Gipp Ice Arena.
                            The Gipper just doesn't have the history of its predecessor, the Laurium Airport, located right next door!

Comment

I agree. However, unless we change coaches, we will never see this in Mankato in our lifetime.

Comment

After seeing the NCAA midwest regionals at Resch, I'm starting to wonder if the nWCHA should be talking about a neutral ice playoff site. We may need to quit thinking about the new league tourney as a cash cow. Without the big schools, it's not likely to be a money maker anymore, particularly if it's held on neutral ground. Let's look at the facts....even if we get five of the nine teams at the tourney, how many fans are likely to travel from each school? Say Ferris, Tech, NMU, Bemidji and Alaska make the tourney. Even if 200 people (i.e. 3 busses) travel from each school (and that's optimistic), that's still only 1000 seats sold. Maybe 1000 more locals and exPats show up. That's still way fewer people and way more expense than holding the games at participating schools' arenas. Each school can easily put 3000 - 5000 butts in the seats for a home tourney game. Regardless of how you share tourney revenue around the league, that still generates more overall money than renting a half empty neutral arena hundreds of miles away. Maybe I'm overlooking something here, but it seems pretty clear cut. I can't imagine a scenario in which a neutral ice tourney site would make financial sense in the nWCHA. I would add that the old tourney was a money maker largely because of proximity to large team fan bases (MN, WI, ND) that travel in the thousands. I frankly, think that the NCHC will have trouble breaking even on a large neutral site if ND isn't in the tourney.
                                Last edited by UpNorthHockey; 03-27-2012, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X