This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The New WCHA (2013-14)

The USHL (I think its the USHL) has a Roku channel for free. I believe you can watch every game live (cant remember if there is a library of old games to watch) I have the channel just to increase the amount of hockey I can watch but I have yet to take the time to flip over to it and watch a game (most are on Friday and Saturday nights) and see the quality of the video. If I remember I will try to do so this weekend and post my findings.

Comment

Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
      The USHL (I think its the USHL) has a Roku channel for free. I believe you can watch every game live (cant remember if there is a library of old games to watch) I have the channel just to increase the amount of hockey I can watch but I have yet to take the time to flip over to it and watch a game (most are on Friday and Saturday nights) and see the quality of the video. If I remember I will try to do so this weekend and post my findings.
      Yeah, unfortunately you have to purchase per-game credits in advance to watch the games. I had gotten excited about being able to watch USHL games too, until I tried to and it said "unauthorized." So I went to their website where I had signed up to activate the channel on my Roku, and found out that you have to purchase the game credits, at about $8 a game! I can't imagine many people are biting on that.

Some Roku channels are free, some are pay-per-view, some are subscription.
      My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Roku sounds like a great idea! I like the "new media" talk. I hope the WCHA likes the "new media" talk. this could be very cool, cost efficient, groundbreaking.
        Originally posted by mtu_huskies
        "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
        Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
        Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
          Yeah, unfortunately you have to purchase per-game credits in advance to watch the games. I had gotten excited about being able to watch USHL games too, until I tried to and it said "unauthorized." So I went to their website where I had signed up to activate the channel on my Roku, and found out that you have to purchase the game credits, at about $8 a game! I can't imagine many people are biting on that.

Some Roku channels are free, some are pay-per-view, some are subscription.
          Ah, I hadnt tried to watch a game so I wasnt aware of that. I did just take a look at some highlights and the quality was so-so. I would imagine similar quality at a minimum for the new WCHA.

I would hope that if they do subscription that the price is not outrageous.If the quality is good, and all the arenas have the video capabilities and they allow you to watch previously recorded games it could be worth paying for...depending on the charge. Perhaps for non-subsribers they could at least offer weekly highlight videos so they can still see something and maybe it would entice them to go ahead and subscribe. Someone needs to copy all the ideas in this thread and send it to whoever is going to be running the league.

Comment

Green Bay or Milwaukee get my vote for conference tourney. Established USHL and AHL fans and most Central location with built in attractions for fan bases.

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            I've streamed GCI for free. It's still better than Tech's $70/year feed.

Comment

http://www.roku.com/roku-channel-store

I'd like to see it free as well. plus I'd like to see a highlights show similar to the radio show that is on now.
              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                check out Hughes net, I use it at my farm.
                I was looking into different services and have found Verizon's MIFI works great in our part of God's Country.
                Go Lakers!

Comment

The proposed last year's champion hosting the playoffs is the ONLY way I see the league playoffs going to a league member's rink. You won't get fans anywhere if you can't tell them a year in advance where to go. Besides the logistics of 5,000 fans trying to book trips within two weeks of events (this is what you're hoping for - lots of fans), you still have not gotten over the hurdle of where will all these people sleep and eat in Houghton, Bemidji, etc even if you gave the town a year notice. I would love to see Houghton host a league playoff, but let us be honest, it isn't possible unless your attendance sucks, and if no one attends, then what is the point?

As far as TV goes, why doesn't the WCHA just start hitting up NBC sports for some time slots? For gosh sakes I had to watch Dartmouth last Friday night on a national broadcast... Dartmouth? That's the best game in the country last week? The funny part is watching their promos on NBC Sports HD with all the game footage they used was shot in standard def. Hopefully they will get some better commercials once they get some HD footage. It was fun to see tGrainy Bulldogs being promoted for tomorrow night...

Ryan J
                  Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                  https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                  Originally posted by geezer
                  Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                  Originally posted by manurespreader
                  ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

What are other teams' video broadcasts like? Bemidji has all of their home games on Lakeland Public Television (in HD), and they also stream it out over the net on B2 (or AmericaOne or whatever it is called now). I would think it would be pretty easy for a network to just pick up Bemidji's feed to put out.
                    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

The biggest problem is that there needs to be someone who actually works for the league to organize and lead this initiative. We can throw out ideas and solutions all year long on here and it will accomplish nothing. What is the best way to engage the league and get the ball rolling? Surely there are posters from most of the WCHA schools that have contacts with the AD of their school, that seems like the best way to start, as opposed to going to the league office.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

For the record my suggestion of last year's winner picking doesn't mean they could pick from anywhere. I meant of the approved rotating sites so maybe between Chicago, Green Bay, Milwaukee and Grand Rapids let's say
                        tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                          For the record my suggestion of last year's winner picking doesn't mean they could pick from anywhere. I meant of the approved rotating sites so maybe between Chicago, Green Bay, Milwaukee and Grand Rapids let's say
                          How else would we host at the Dee? Boooo
                          MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Lets have the conference tournament in Vegas.
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                              The biggest problem is that there needs to be someone who actually works for the league to organize and lead this initiative. We can throw out ideas and solutions all year long on here and it will accomplish nothing. What is the best way to engage the league and get the ball rolling? Surely there are posters from most of the WCHA schools that have contacts with the AD of their school, that seems like the best way to start, as opposed to going to the league office.
                              SG and I are working on something...
                              Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                              What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                                Lets have the conference tournament in Vegas.
                                Perfect venue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MGM_Grand_Garden_Arena

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X