This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The New WCHA (2013-14)

Speaking of tournaments, once the new WCHA gets underway, shouldn't Ferris try hosting a tournament at the Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids? Ferris could do so along with another WCHA school in order to promote the conference and get some national exposure. Invite ECAC or Hockey East schools? Would this work? I often think that Ferris should be playing one or two of their home games at the Van Andel anyway, as they have a satellite campus in Grand Rapids. And, I would think the fan base is considerable. Any thoughts?
    NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
      Speaking of tournaments, once the new WCHA gets underway, shouldn't Ferris try hosting a tournament at the Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids? Ferris could do so along with another WCHA school in order to promote the conference and get some national exposure. Invite ECAC or Hockey East schools? Would this work? I often think that Ferris should be playing one or two of their home games at the Van Andel anyway, as they have a satellite campus in Grand Rapids. And, I would think the fan base is considerable. Any thoughts?
      If you did it in conjunction with hockey day, and with the Griffons/Red Wings participation in some way, might be pretty good, depending on the timing.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
        Michigan will be at tech for a return trip.
        I will be at yost when tech visits. Can't wait
        Ha. Ma Bell was still a monopoly the last time Michigan crossed the Mackinac Bridge headed to Houghton.

tMel or not, good luck with that.
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
          Ahahahahahahaha. Make sure you rinse the paint thinner out first when you borrow a drinking glass from a Wisconsinite.

Minnesota (and the other B1G schools) have already said they want 20 home games a year. Meaning they want more home NC games than road NC games. Ferris may get the courtesy NC game from East Lansing, but they're only going to get UM at home once a decade. Forget EVER seeing a B1G school in the UP again.

Tech might get lucky and get the opportunity to "host" Wisconsin at the Resch Center in Green Bay just like NMU does.
          Wisconsin is going to need some "friends" with 14 games. Can't fill all of them with bought games.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            Wisconsin is going to need some "friends" with 14 games. Can't fill all of them with bought games.
            Alvarez will take that as a challenge, you know.

I greatly look forward to our non-conference matches against AIC, Bentley, and Madison Memorial.
            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
              I actually mentioned this once before in this very thread. I was thinking Ferris, Western Michigan (although Northern would fit in quite well too), Michigan State and Michigan since all four schools have fan bases and alumni in Grand Rapids and it is not a far drive for their students and fans. It would be especially exciting since these would now be non-conference match ups. I thought they could do Ferris vs. Michigan State and Western vs. Michigan on Saturday and then Ferris vs. Michigan and Western vs. Michigan State on Sunday. Split the a TV deal and revenue for a much larger arena and city and make it an annual thing. Model it after the Hoosier Classic in Indianapolis with Notre Dame, Butler, Purdue and Indiana.
              "What I get paid for are the practices, I would play the games for nothing."
              - Tim Horton

Ferris State University
              CCHA Champions 2003 & 2012

Comment

Bringing this back to the front page, here's the latest we know of the conference schedules for 2013-14:
                NCAA Maximum 34 games. (Ignoring the Alaska Exemption)
                WCHA: 28 conference games. 6 non-conference.
                *(Will be 8 non-conference games including Alaska Exemption. Could go as high as 10)

B1G: 20 conference games. 14 non-conference.
                *Noted that B1G Schools would like 20 home dates per year. (Ten conference, ten of fourteen non-conference games)

NCHC: 24 conference games. 10 non-conference.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by hattrick16 View Post
                  I actually mentioned this once before in this very thread. I was thinking Ferris, Western Michigan (although Northern would fit in quite well too), Michigan State and Michigan since all four schools have fan bases and alumni in Grand Rapids and it is not a far drive for their students and fans. It would be especially exciting since these -would now be non-conference match ups. I thought they could do Ferris vs. Michigan State and Western vs. Michigan on Saturday and then Ferris vs. Michigan and Western vs. Michigan State on Sunday. Split the a TV deal and revenue for a much larger arena and city and make it an annual thing. Model it after the Hoosier Classic in Indianapolis with Notre Dame, Butler, Purdue and Indiana.
                  Problem is figuring out when to do it. Early season you end up with college football and the holiday break is used up by the GLI. Everyone takes a break from conference action like the Beanpot in February, maybe?
                  "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                    Problem is figuring out when to do it. Early season you end up with college football and the holiday break is used up by the GLI. Everyone takes a break from conference action like the Beanpot in February, maybe?
                    According to the Minnesota Cup thread, that tournament is going to be conducted on the weekend before the Super Bowl. There would be no NFL games to contend with (other than the Pro Bowl), and that is typically the All Star Break for the NHL. Bouncyball would still be going on at the NBA and College Level, but you still have eliminated two of the other sports.
                    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                      Sounds like it may be headed that way. The NCHC article discussing the conference schedule said it would be "split into two halves, playing 12 conference games each half."

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

After checking out the USHL channel on Roku. The New WCHA really needs to get that done. Watching that many conference games would be awesome.
                        "What I get paid for are the practices, I would play the games for nothing."
                        - Tim Horton

Ferris State University
                        CCHA Champions 2003 & 2012

Comment

Nothing too new in this, but some more information none the less:

http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/59221/
                          Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                          FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                          NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                          NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                          NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                          NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                          Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                          Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

With the WIAA possibly moving the state basketball finals to the Resch Center from Madison, won't that put a major monkey wrench in the Green Bay option for the WCHA finals? Actually I don't even know if they would land on the same weekend or not. Does anybody have more details?

Comment

• Originally posted by NMUFAN View Post
                              With the WIAA possibly moving the state basketball finals to the Resch Center from Madison, won't that put a major monkey wrench in the Green Bay option for the WCHA finals? Actually I don't even know if they would land on the same weekend or not. Does anybody have more details?
                              Maybe, but that conflict was with the WCHA first round, not the weekend of the finals.
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Matt Wellens, taking cues from this thread, preaches for a WCHA streaming internet TV package:
                                http://www.miningjournal.net/page/co....html?nav=5011

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X