X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The New WCHA (2013-14)

Originally posted by fangers View Post
    lol, how could I forget that?

FWIW, it takes me @ 45 mins from Oakley on average. On game days just need to allow little extra time since 27 single lane each way and does slow down at times. I'm more inclined to head up early & grab dinner in town before a game. Speaking of which, if you're attending UAH weekend I'll get you beverage of your choice (just for treating you like RHM )
    A Yeungling and a burger at Skipper's is highly recommended!
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by hattrick16 View Post
      The new league can capitalize on the passion for hockey in Marquette that you won't find in Columbus and the hockey knowledge in Mankato that doesn't exist in Omaha.
      Now wait a minute. I agree with almost every aspect of your post but I am breathless with anticipation to hear about this hockey knowledge that exists in Mankato and not in Omaha.

Comment

The Twitter world seems to be just jumping aboard the conversation about TV broadcasting ideas for the WCHA.

Here's what we know:

Alaska Fairbanks, Bemidji, Mankato, Michigan Tech, Northern, Lake State, and Bowling Green all use America One / B2TV for online broadcasts (of varying quality).

Michigan Tech and Alaska Anchorage have their own system, but seem to use the same back-end type of setup.

Ferris State also has a proprietary system, different from America One / MTU/UAA.

If the WCHA can package all their games under one umbrella system (preferably their own, not America One) with a season package price, it would be amazing. I would gladly pay $70 a year for EVERY WCHA game, available online.

I love the Roku idea, and I've thought of picking one up myself, but right now, if the WCHA announced that "we're on Roku!" everyone would laugh that they're on a channel more obscure than CBS College Sports. Ideally, the web package they use online would also work to get a Roku app.

I do like the idea of weekly free games on a free channel, and additional content. Doing streaming, you don't need to produce content 24x7, you need new updates a few times a week to keep people coming back. Add in a "corporate sponsor" to the WCHA buying the rights to air a free game Friday and/or Saturday nights online would be great.
        Last edited by aparch; 01-31-2012, 03:55 PM.
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
          The Twitter world seems to be just jumping aboard the conversation about TV broadcasting ideas for the WCHA.

Here's what we know:

Alaska Fairbanks, Bemidji, Mankato, Michigan Tech, Northern, Lake State, and Bowling Green all use America One / B2TV for online broadcasts (of varying quality).

Michigan Tech and Alaska Anchorage have their own system, but seem to use the same back-end type of setup.

Ferris State also has a proprietary system, different from America One / MTU/UAA.

If the WCHA can package all their games under one umbrella system (preferably their own, not America One) with a season package price, it would be amazing. I would gladly pay $70 a year for EVERY WCHA game, available online.

I love the Roku idea, and I've thought of picking one up myself, but right now, if the WCHA announced that "we're on Roku!" everyone would laugh that they're on a channel more obscure than CBS College Sports. Ideally, the web package they use online would also work to get a Roku app.

I do like the idea of weekly free games on a free channel, and additional content. Doing streaming, you don't need to produce content 24x7, you need weekly new updates a few times a week to keep people coming back. Add in a "corporate sponsor" to the WCHA buying the rights to air a free game Friday and/or Saturday nights online would be great.
          Selling an online package of league games would be a smart idea.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
            Selling an online package of league games would be a smart idea.
            It absolutely is, and I'm really surprised that the existing leagues haven't done that yet. For the WCHA and CCHA it's a free for all in whoever each school can get to provide their content.

I guess it has more to do with the fact that each school has random sports that other schools may not have/need coverage for. And, if you start making each sport have their own video player system, it makes it difficult for the school to offer bundles to fans.

Or... make it so that the schools feed is simulcast through the New WCHA's website. For example, you can buy a season pass for hockey through America One for NMU (and must use America One) or you can purchase the WCHA Team Pass on WCHA.com (and must use WCHA.com to view NMU games), or buy a WCHA Season Pass (and must use wcha.com) for ALL WCHA hockey games.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Here's what we know:

I do like the idea of weekly free games on a free channel, and additional content. Doing streaming, you don't need to produce content 24x7, you need new updates a few times a week to keep people coming back. Add in a "corporate sponsor" to the WCHA buying the rights to air a free game Friday and/or Saturday nights online would be great.
              Yeah, that's what I was thinking of when I mentioned Roku in the first place, regular internet streaming that can be picked up either on your computer or via a Roku channel, just like NHL and MLB do.
              My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                Yeah, that's what I was thinking of when I mentioned Roku in the first place, regular internet streaming that can be picked up either on your computer or via a Roku channel, just like NHL and MLB do.
                The more I read into Roku development, isn't it an open community? All it would take is a couple of crafty Michigan Techies technologically intuitive people to create the app and submit it for everyone else to use? Sort of like how one of our fellow USCHO posters created the College Hockey News app for iPhone/iPod?

So as long as the WCHA was willing to share with the creators how to access the stream via Roku...

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

The more I read into Roku development, isn't it an open community? All it would take is a couple of crafty Michigan Techies technologically intuitive people to create the app and submit it for everyone else to use? Sort of like how one of our fellow USCHO posters created the College Hockey News app for iPhone/iPod?

So as long as the WCHA was willing to share with the creators how to access the stream via Roku...
                  I'm sure plenty of us would be willing to lend a hand to help out if the skills are needed. I'd love to see this and I think it's the only viable option to getting games out to everyone. Plus it allows for easy viewing for people out of market and out of the country.
                  MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Now that would be a good twist... NCAA games available to Canada, the contiguous and continental US. As one of the least technologically literate people here, I would love to see how user friendly something like this could be. It would depend largely on how easily and user friendly the main site is, but with the technological skills of the new WCHA, I am sure it could be done to a level on par with the best available in the nation.

Much of the problem with television deals is that there is always a winner and a loser on who is the game of the week. With streaming of all games, its a great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by true2BSU View Post
                      Now that would be a good twist... NCAA games available to Canada, the contiguous and continental US. As one of the least technologically literate people here, I would love to see how user friendly something like this could be. It would depend largely on how easily and user friendly the main site is, but with the technological skills of the new WCHA, I am sure it could be done to a level on par with the best available in the nation.

Much of the problem with television deals is that there is always a winner and a loser on who is the game of the week. With streaming of all games, its a great idea.
                      I've reached out to the Michigan Tech AD about potentially involving myself in the future media developments.
                      Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                      What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Invite UAH to join and who knows, some of those folks know a thing or two about launching things like satelites into orbit

Comment

• Originally posted by fangers View Post
                          Invite UAH to join and who knows, some of those folks know a thing or two about launching things like satelites into orbit
                          Kidding aside, I have it on good authority (beyond what's been seen in the media) that the WCHA is actively pursuing options for a 10th team, that they have informally talked to UAH, and that at least both Alaska schools would be supportive of adding Huntsville. Time will tell if it happens with UAH, but don't expect the WCHA to stay at nine teams.
                          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                            Now wait a minute. I agree with almost every aspect of your post but I am breathless with anticipation to hear about this hockey knowledge that exists in Mankato and not in Omaha.
                            I'll retract that statement. I should have said Denver or State College. I went to Omaha for a Ferris game back in their CCHA days and was really impressed by the whole thing. Plus, the USHL is alive and well on the Great Plains.

We all seem to agree that the New WCHA should have an aggressive internet presence. Broadcasting games is the first step and I think all the schools should commit to ensuring they have bright lights in the arena (so it doesn't look like Nassau Coliseum) and at least one HD camera. High quality HD cameras are available under $1,000 and there is no reason the teams can't take these small steps to greatly improve the video quality of the game for online viewers. I also like the idea of on demand coach's shows, press conferences, a weekly league show and team podcasts on the web channel and league website. A lot of user generated content would be welcomed too, it would just be nice if the league would take the effort to centralize it all in one location.

I just hope the league doesn't sit around and let the other conferences get a two year head start.
                            "What I get paid for are the practices, I would play the games for nothing."
                            - Tim Horton

Ferris State University
                            CCHA Champions 2003 & 2012

Comment

I think once NMU had their new marketing based AD in place, they'll be looking to take some reigns. It's going to take money to make money on this, and if it's the Red Baron Pizza WCHA video player presented by Wells Fargo... So be it.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                                Kidding aside, I have it on good authority (beyond what's been seen in the media) that the WCHA is actively pursuing options for a 10th team, that they have informally talked to UAH, and that at least both Alaska schools would be supportive of adding Huntsville. Time will tell if it happens with UAH, but don't expect the WCHA to stay at nine teams.
                                I'm warming to this idea too. Even at ten teams there is room for the addition of two more should the right programs come along. Maybe Western will get tired of getting shellacked or Mercyhurst will deserve a closer look.
                                "What I get paid for are the practices, I would play the games for nothing."
                                - Tim Horton

Ferris State University
                                CCHA Champions 2003 & 2012

Comment

Working...
                                X