Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 NCAA Tournament: Bracketology

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament: Bracketology

    Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
    How safe is Maine if they lose tomorrow??
    If Maine loses tomorrow, they would need to have top teams win their conference tournaments. Taking a quick look, it appears that they would probably lose the Cornell and DU comparisons (assuming DU wins), and could lose the Merrimack and Western Michigan comparisons depending on what those schools do next weekend. If they were to lose all 4 of those comparisons, that would drop them to 16 PWR comparisons won, which would place them in a tie for 15th (again, this is a static view of the field, assuming the TUC line stays where it currently is as far as teams that are TUCs) with Michigan State. The RPI would be close, but the Black Bears would likely take the tiebreaker with State. Sitting at #15 would require no upsets in the conference tournaments to make the NCAA Tournament.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

    Comment


    • Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament: Bracketology

      Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
      Ok, so #1 Go Black Bears!

      #2: How is Northern still in it? What could possibly be the strange combination of comparisons that they need to win to move them into the top 15?
      To get Northern in simply requires Merrimack losing tomorrow and Western losing twice at the Joe. Or, maybe, losing to Miami and then beating Bowling Green. Or, I think losing and then tying on the part of Western will do it. WMU has to drop in RPI by .0036 compared to NoMich. That's how it goes. Oh, and then no tourney upsets.

      Comment


      • Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament: Bracketology

        PWR and RPI being where it is, I'd have a hard time believing there won't be howls about BC not playing Air Force... especially since CCHA has 5.... Michigan-WMU is more likely.
        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

        Jerseys I would like to have:
        Skating Friar Jersey
        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
        Army Black Knight logo jersey


        NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

        Comment


        • Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament: Bracketology

          Originally posted by Numbers View Post
          To get Northern in simply requires Merrimack losing tomorrow and Western losing twice at the Joe. Or, maybe, losing to Miami and then beating Bowling Green. Or, I think losing and then tying on the part of Western will do it. WMU has to drop in RPI by .0036 compared to NoMich. That's how it goes. Oh, and then no tourney upsets.
          That would also allow State to get in, correct? If so, let it happen.
          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

          1966, 1986, 2007

          Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

          Comment


          • Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament: Bracketology

            Priceless and FS23,

            I agree with you fellows, that, barring no major upsets, the bubble is:
            Merrimack/Western Michigan/Northern Michigan/ Michigan State if you want to extend that far. I think I could find a way to get Merrimack and Western both in at MSU's expense, but it may require them each winning their conf tourney.

            The real question, then, becomes:

            If there are lots of upsets, who is at risk?

            I mean, suppose the cut line backs all the way to 11. (St Cloud, Western, Harvard, Merrimack, and someone from AHA being autobids). Then, who is at risk?

            Real quick exam seems to suggest NoDak and above are safe. Do you fellows get something different?

            Comment


            • Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament: Bracketology

              Originally posted by Numbers View Post
              Priceless and FS23,

              I agree with you fellows, that, barring no major upsets, the bubble is:
              Merrimack/Western Michigan/Northern Michigan/ Michigan State if you want to extend that far. I think I could find a way to get Merrimack and Western both in at MSU's expense, but it may require them each winning their conf tourney.

              The real question, then, becomes:

              If there are lots of upsets, who is at risk?

              I mean, suppose the cut line backs all the way to 11. (St Cloud, Western, Harvard, Merrimack, and someone from AHA being autobids). Then, who is at risk?

              Real quick exam seems to suggest NoDak and above are safe. Do you fellows get something different?
              Just from a quick look, I would say Union (#10) and above should be safe. Maine (#11), Denver (t#12), and Cornell (t#12) all have some work left to do to put themselves in safe position. The picture should clear up quite a bit after tomorrow, especially if Ferris, Maine, BU, and Lowell all win. (which would cut the possible conference upsets to just the ECAC and WCHA).
              North Dakota
              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

              Comment


              • Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament: Bracketology

                I came up with:

                Worcester:

                1. BC (1)
                2. BU (7)
                3. North Dakota (9)
                4. Western Michigan (15)

                GB:

                1. UMD (3)
                2. UML (6)
                3. Denver (12)
                4. Michigan State (14)

                St. Paul:

                1. Michigan (2)
                2. Minnesota (8)
                3. Union (10)
                4. Atlantic Hockey (16)

                Bridgeport:

                1. Ferris State (4)
                2. Miami (5)
                3. Maine (11)
                4. Cornell (13)

                Comment


                • Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament: Bracketology

                  JD, why didn't you give BC the atlantic hockey winner?

                  And also with a loss will UNH drop out of TUC?

                  Comment


                  • Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament: Bracketology

                    Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                    JD, why didn't you give BC the atlantic hockey winner?

                    And also with a loss will UNH drop out of TUC?
                    In this scenario, CCHA has 2 #1s and 2 #4s. Since the committee avoids first round intraconference matchups, Michigan and Ferris have to face the AHA winner and Cornell.

                    With a loss, UNH would have RPI of .5001. Assuming BU defeats UNH tonight, if BU then loses next Friday, that (UNH RPI) falls below the cut-line. And, it would make a little difference in a few compares for Lowell and BU. And, also would make a difference in the BC/UMD compare.
                    Last edited by Numbers; 03-11-2012, 09:19 AM.

                    Comment


                    • Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament: Bracketology

                      Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                      In this scenario, CCHA has 2 #1s and 2 #4s. Since the committee avoids first round intraconference matchups, Michigan and Ferris have to face the AHA winner and Cornell.

                      With a loss, UNH would have RPI of .5001. As it happens, if BU loses next Friday, that falls below the cut-line. And, it would make a little difference in a few compares for Lowell and BU. And, also would make a difference in the BC/UMD compare.
                      Thanks should've seen that, didn't have the morning coffee yet

                      Comment


                      • Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament: Bracketology

                        Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                        I came up with:

                        Worcester:

                        1. BC (1)
                        2. BU (7)
                        3. North Dakota (9)
                        4. Western Michigan (15)
                        That's a magnificent-looking bracket, if it holds. I will absolutely drive an hour south over two days to watch those three games.

                        Comment


                        • Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament: Bracketology

                          The script for tonight's Game Threes:

                          20120309 BG 0 FS 1 nc
                          20120309 By 0 RT 1 nc
                          20120309 Ct 0 AF 1 nc
                          20120309 Pv 0 ML 1 nc
                          20120309 HC 0 Mh 1 nc
                          20120309 Mr 0 Me 1 nc
                          20120309 NH 0 BU 1 nc
                          20120309 Qn 0 Cg 1 nc
                          20120309 Wi 0 DU 1 nc
                          20120309 Ya 0 Ha 1 nc

                          Most sites should have their YATC pages up tonight or tomorrow AM so you'll be able to use those instead of scripts
                          Last edited by Priceless; 03-11-2012, 01:54 PM. Reason: Replaced the fictional Dartmouth-Cornell game with the actual Providence-Lowell game

                          Comment


                          • Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament: Bracketology

                            Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                            The script for tonight's Game Threes:

                            20120309 BG 0 FS 1 nc
                            20120309 By 0 RT 1 nc
                            20120309 Ct 0 AF 1 nc
                            20120309 Da 0 Cr 1 nc
                            20120309 HC 0 Mh 1 nc
                            20120309 Mr 0 Me 1 nc
                            20120309 NH 0 BU 1 nc
                            20120309 Qn 0 Cg 1 nc
                            20120309 Wi 0 DU 1 nc
                            20120309 Ya 0 Ha 1 nc

                            Most sites should have their YATC pages up tonight or tomorrow AM so you'll be able to use those instead of scripts
                            Providence and Lowell are also playing this evening.
                            North Dakota
                            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

                            Comment


                            • Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament: Bracketology

                              Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                              The script for tonight's Game Threes:

                              20120309 BG 0 FS 1 nc
                              20120309 By 0 RT 1 nc
                              20120309 Ct 0 AF 1 nc
                              20120309 Da 0 Cr 1 nc
                              20120309 HC 0 Mh 1 nc
                              20120309 Mr 0 Me 1 nc
                              20120309 NH 0 BU 1 nc
                              20120309 Qn 0 Cg 1 nc
                              20120309 Wi 0 DU 1 nc
                              20120309 Ya 0 Ha 1 nc

                              Most sites should have their YATC pages up tonight or tomorrow AM so you'll be able to use those instead of scripts
                              And, Dartmouth and Cornell are not playing tonight.

                              Comment


                              • Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament: Bracketology

                                This was posted way back in Jan.;
                                Originally posted by streaker View Post
                                Latest USCHO pairwise:

                                BU, UM-D, OSU, ND
                                Mich, Merrimack, NMU, Ferris
                                BC, UML, Cornell, Denver
                                Minn, MSU, Miami, AHA

                                NE: 1. BU 2. FSU 3. BC 4. AHA
                                East: 1. ND 2. Merrimack 3. Cornell 4. MSU
                                Midwest: 1. Duluth 2. NMU 3. UML 4. Miami
                                West: 1. OSU 2. Mich 3.Denver 4.Minn
                                Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                                Boy would i love to see the buckeyes get that draw!
                                Originally posted by aparch View Post
                                NMU has a good bracket for ability to advance, but wow does tOSU have it's ticket pre-punched to the Frozen Four with this setup.
                                I'm sorry, but that's just funny.
                                No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

                                The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

                                I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X