Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2011-2012 Season Thread: Part III: Now What?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Season Thread: Part III: Now What?

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
    Some shotty reffing.
    I think you meant "shoddy." But anyway, a slightly different take. First of all, the refs weren't why they lost. It was inevitable that when two red-hot teams meet that someone has to lose. What I like about this team "post Coyle and Trivino" is that they seem to play for 60 minutes, unlike most recent teams which took half the game off. But if you're really honest, you have to look at one fact. We can be all giddy about the whole "addition by subtraction" thing, but often times a team will get a small bump initially but long term things finally go back to "normal." What I look at is that in the two games against the hottest, toughest, whatever you want to call it competition (Notre Dame and Maine), they have had difficulty generating offense. One PP goal and a shot off the goalie's back (albeit a nice play) was a little weak. So I don't think we can yet say that they "don't miss" Trivino's scoring. Maine plays a shut down style and BU didn't really get many good chances. Yeah, they seemed out of sync, but that's because their "possession" game didn't work very well. It seemed as though, except for a brief period after the lights went out, that the puck was in the BU end all night and Maine had several good rushes. I DO think they also seemed to run out of gas a little. Regarding Clendenning, he looked slow all night. Maybe he wasn't feeling well - it almost seemed that way. Hopefully they'll bounce back tonight.

On another note, I haven't been to as many games this year, but the crowd was disappointing. You've got a red hot Terrier team playing another hot team and a rival (and a team that could very well [ don't laugh ] win Hockey East, and it was just dead. They can "announce" 5,000 all they want, but there weren't more than 3,800 there last night, at least at the beginning of the game (before they let people in free). It's pretty tough to get any energy going when we score a goal to tie the games and everybody except the students just sits there. There's like a "yay" that lasts about a tenth of a second and that's it. Half of the people cheering don't even stand up. I got up and yelled and pumped my fist and then I looked around and everyone is just sitting there. SO I felt like an idiot and just sat back down. But then again, I'm preaching to the choir and I guess I should "get over it" because it is what it is and won't ever change...

I love the BU program but sometimes I wish I had gone to a school out of the city where there is actual PASSION and the building rocks...BESIDES for a game against BC.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
      The video highlights are up at goterriers.com, and while they only show the empty-netter for about five seconds, that angle sure makes Clendening look bad. Really, really bad. You almost can't believe it.
      after reading your post i had to see it and you are spot on, i almost can't believe it.............in fact, i CAN'T believe it

Comment

• Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
        after reading your post i had to see it and you are spot on, i almost can't believe it.............in fact, i CAN'T believe it
        That petty much describes the feeling of everybody there. I didn't see any comments on it on the Boston hockey blog. Don't know what happened.
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
          Credit to Maine for converting on the power play, but they didn't deserve one.
          Agreed. They showed the replay of the "penalty" on the scoreboard and there was nothing to it. Lack of any meaningful crowd reaction was another example of lack of energy in the building. Speaking of the scoreboard, can the font on player/penalty time be any smaller? Also, promotion for tonight's game had picture of Coyle - wake up marketing department.

Clendening had a tough night. On top of the mistake on empty net goal (he also gave Maine the goal scoring opportunity by taking bad shot that was blocked inside the blue line) , he also had 2 awful icings earlier in the game. A hard wraparound with no pressure caused one icing and he fired a puck up the ice trying to find Chiasson on another. No chance for any teammate to touch the puck in those circumstances.

The team looked a little flat but we still had opportunities to convert that we didn't capitalize on earlier in the game - Hohmann has got to bury puck when Sullivan was down with Noonan on top of him, Rodrigues had Gill wide open in front of net and elected to try a wrap-around (he's not Nick Bonino), Clendening made great play to create breakaway opportunity for himself but could have moved in 4 or 5 more feet before shooting.

Back at it tonight, I expect to see a much better effort with the season series on the line.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
            The video highlights are up at goterriers.com, and while they only show the empty-netter for about five seconds, that angle sure makes Clendening look bad. Really, really bad. You almost can't believe it.
            I have the same thought I had last night... He could have stopped it, he absolutely had the angle. Even if he dives and misses the puck or something like that we're still not having this conversation.

Also by far the funniest part of this video is that after Maine goes up 2-1 before the highlight of BU's second goal the narrator says, "The Terriers struck back just four minutes later." Sooooomeone wasn't actually at the game!
            Let's go Terriers!

It hasn't taken me long to realize, everybody here knows a lot more than me about college hockey...

1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by quiddlet View Post
              I have the same thought I had last night... He could have stopped it, he absolutely had the angle. Even if he dives and misses the puck or something like that we're still not having this conversation.
              He totally had the angle, I just don't understand why he didn't contest that play. I was just so confused when that puck went easily into the net. What happened

Hope we play with more intensity tonight. Coming into the weekend I was predicting a split, so hopefully we can make it happen.
              #OneKnight

Comment

Originally posted by sleeper709 View Post
                can the font on player/penalty time be any smaller?
                Completely agree! But the resolution is FAR superior to the previous board...I was just thinking about how fast time flies...when the arena opened, high def didn't even exist!

Originally posted by sleeper709 View Post
                Clendening had a tough night. [He] made great play to create breakaway opportunity for himself but could have moved in 4 or 5 more feet before shooting.
                That was my point when I said maybe he was not feeling well. He seemed to "mail in" the breakaway, sort of, "Well, I think I'll just shoot it from here...and while I'm at it, I'll coast and wind up with the puck stuck on my stick so I can telegraph ten seconds in advance what I'm going to do!" No dekes or anything. The little kids that came out and played the "shootout" between the second and third periods made better moves!

Comment

chikod were you the guy sitting in my seat in section 115 when I came in? He sounded a lot like you're posting hence my question.

Agree with the comments about the team being flat, Clandening playing a bad game (somebody finally brought it up but that 3rd goal was horrific), refs were awful, not biased just looked like they might have been reffing a different contest than what was going on in front of them.

Maine's a tough team. Win tonight and earn a split and all's right with the world. This isn't a 20 wins in a row kind of team. All in all I'm still happy with how things have gone since The Exodus.
                  Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance View Post
                    Adam Clandenning does not deserve a spot on this team with that performance at the end of the game. He threw the last play. There was no excuse for that performance and he should be kicked off of this team.
                    Clendening did not have a good game last night. But he had been OUTSTANDING the previous four games, and had been playing better and better as the season has progressed.

Kicked off the team? You're having a laugh!

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                      Clendening did not have a good game last night. But he had been OUTSTANDING the previous four games, and had been playing better and better as the season has progressed.

Kicked off the team? You're having a laugh!
                      He has been outstanding on the power play quarterbacking it. His decisions there have been excellent. Additionally, Chiasson in the slot on the PP (ha!) has been deadly, both as a passer, one timer, and redirector.
                      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                        I haven't been to as many games this year, but the crowd was disappointing. You've got a red hot Terrier team playing another hot team and a rival (and a team that could very well [ don't laugh ] win Hockey East, and it was just dead. They can "announce" 5,000 all they want, but there weren't more than 3,800 there last night, at least at the beginning of the game (before they let people in free). It's pretty tough to get any energy going when we score a goal to tie the games and everybody except the students just sits there. There's like a "yay" that lasts about a tenth of a second and that's it. Half of the people cheering don't even stand up. I got up and yelled and pumped my fist and then I looked around and everyone is just sitting there. SO I felt like an idiot and just sat back down. But then again, I'm preaching to the choir and I guess I should "get over it" because it is what it is and won't ever change...

I love the BU program but sometimes I wish I had gone to a school out of the city where there is actual PASSION and the building rocks...BESIDES for a game against BC.
                        The crowd was quieter than usual. It was a solid up-and-down game, without a lot to get excited about.

Agganis will never be able to duplicate the atmosphere at Walter Brown, which had the low metal roof to hold all of the noise in. Even if 6,300 people individually made the same noise that 3,700 could make at WBA, it wouldn't be as loud.
                        That is the price of progress.

Also, the new video boards are slightly smaller than the old ones. But it is nice to see a clear picture again instead the pock marked ones. The penalty times could be bigger.

On another arena note, they haven't added the picture plaques for the All-Americans for the past few years. Adding them, the Hall of Famers and BU in the NHL should be automatic at the end of every year, when there is something to add. Who is in charge of doing that, because they are slipping.

Comment

Since you started yesterday to reminisce about great BU-Maine games, we must remember a couple of more games. I was at the one in 2000 when Cavanaugh tied it up, how about the 41-BU-2 game in 1993 with Pomichter set up of Mike Prendergast ... Maine's only loss that year by 7-6 in OT. I love Shawn Walsh's long walk off the ice. He HATED losing that game at home to BU.

Or how about the year before at home, the short-hand. last second one by Prendergast to win 3-2??? We blew the roof off WBA that night:

Or the infamous "hand pass" game for HE title in 1991, again in OT, 4-3. After that game I ended up with my 9 year old son outside the locker room. Shawn came out and several Maine fans started in about the mysterious hand pass that lead to the tying goal in regulation for BU. The whining and complaining by the Mainiacs and by Shawn were just too much after several minutes. IN those years, Walsh could never accept that BU had the better team. Even though BU always seemed to win the big games. So I piped in that "you guys are just a bunch of sore losers" and once I started in, a couple of other BU fans chime in as well. Walsh kept up the whining and we just kept saying sore loser. It was great!! My son was aghast!!

Comment

Priviteta broken wrist so he's out 6weeks. Why is Nicastro out? We only have 5 d to start tonight?

Comment

If Nicastro is out its likely a shoulder injury. I noticed he had a problem in the middle of the game after taking a hit
                              Spaulding get your foot off the boat!

Comment

Originally posted by BUTerrierfan View Post
                                Priviteta broken wrist so he's out 6weeks. Why is Nicastro out? We only have 5 d to start tonight?
                                My guess would be to move Rosen back on D and we dress Gilroy to play up front. Ruikka is also in then. He backs off way to much and screens Millan all the time.

Ouch that hurts the team a lot.
                                Boston University: 2009 NCAA Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X