Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2011 - 12 Part IV: We ain't Bailen on this season yet, Go Red!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2011 - 12 Part IV: We ain't Bailen on this season yet, Go Red!!

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    There is strikingly little that is ever posted on this board that I take seriously. ...Everyone on here is entitled to their respective opinions and thoughts.
    +1
    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

There is strikingly little that is ever posted on this board that I take seriously.
      I don't take that seriously.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
        Ranked in importance IMO first is the forecheck. Needs to be 3 men at all times unless somehow they are protecting a 2+ goal lead late in the game. If odd man rushes are given up, so be it. If the defenseman are truly the strength of this team, let them show it. Let the opponent be the team that starts to wear down in the 3rd instead of RPI.
        As you know johnk they call it the left wing lock. As our asute Dr. so rightly points out Scotty Bowman perfected it in the 90's (Red Wings) and the genesis of it started with Bowman's Montreal teams of the 70's. Of course Jacques Lemaire learned it from Scotty and clamped down even more when he and Lou Lamirello ruined hockey with Jersey and the trap. To see the left wing lock click attached http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left_wing_lock

The first person to point out we were playing the left wing lock was troyboy, proving once again he is more than a pretty face.
        "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
          2nd is penalties need to be reduced. Another reason for this team tiring in the 3rd period. Might be stating the obvious here but have yet to see alot of discipline from this group.

3rd - SHOOT THE PUCK AND CRASH THE NET!!!! The extra pass is killing this team. Simplyfy the powerplay, get dirty and put the puck towards the net. If a certain group of forwards is not willing to do this, sit them down. Unless any of you are seeing a group of snipers that I am missing then this is a must if they are to get to 3 goals per game. With health always being an issue , changing linemates shouldn't be a big issue with this approach.

Lastly, play Diebold more. Nothing against Merriam but there is more upside on a guy that is nearly 5 years younger. Lets see what he has going back to back a few times. With a minimum of 19 games left, Merriam will still get his chances.
          Exactly, well said.
          "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
            As you know johnk they call it the left wing lock. As our asute Dr. so rightly points out Scotty Bowman perfected it in the 90's (Red Wings) and the genesis of it started with Bowman's Montreal teams of the 70's. Of course Jacques Lemaire learned it from Scotty and clamped down even more when he and Lou Lamirello ruined hockey with Jersey and the trap. To see the left wing lock click attached http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left_wing_lock

The first person to point out we were playing the left wing lock was troyboy, proving once again he is more than a pretty face.
            As a life long NY Ranger fan-I got so fed up watching Montreal play that system and beat the heck out of us all the time. It is an effective system-but you do need the right personnel and a team commitment to it for it to work. At this stage, this season, i would settle for any system that gets this team going.
            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Glad to see RPI is sending out free tickets to season ticket holders for the NBC game on Jan. 6th against Dartmouth. Recieved a pair in the mail today along with a team photo. Also got two free tickets for the AIC game on the 10th.

Comment

At this stage, this season, i would settle for any system that gets this team going.
                Most successful coaches build a system around their team, as opposed to recruiting their team for a particular system. Also, everyone seems to think that the "trap"......1-2-2.....or whatever you want to call it, is a non-aggressive type system.

I totally disagree. You can take the "trap" or 1-2-2, and tweak it to make it as aggressive as you want on the 4-check. The key to this 4-check is that you have to be an unbelievable transition team. You have to be able to transition from defense to offense in one or two quick passes in order to attack!
                I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
                  Most successful coaches build a system around their team, as opposed to recruiting their team for a particular system. Also, everyone seems to think that the "trap"......1-2-2.....or whatever you want to call it, is a non-aggressive type system.

I totally disagree. You can take the "trap" or 1-2-2, and tweak it to make it as aggressive as you want on the 4-check. The key to this 4-check is that you have to be an unbelievable transition team. You have to be able to transition from defense to offense in one or two quick passes in order to attack!
                  I thought the trap was 1-3-1...

EDIT: Thanks, Google, looks like we're both right on this one.
                  Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 12-22-2011, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    I thought the trap was 1-3-1...

EDIT: Thanks, Google, looks like we're both right on this one.
                    As I said, there are different variations of the "trap". The one you are referring to was tweaked and turned into a 1-3-1, which is currently used by Tampa.
                    I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
                      As I said, there are different variations of the "trap". The one you are referring to was tweaked and turned into a 1-3-1, which is currently used by Tampa.
                      Would we be able to equate this to just about any version of a "zone defense"? Makes me wonder, if SU gets a men's hockey team, if they'll play a 2-3...

Comment

So guys, less than a week until Engineer hockey. Based on WaP's tweets of Appert's Barstool Banter, Coach is starting to realize that he's going to have to look to the freshmen for scoring instead of forcing the seniors to be something they're not. No word on the "Tan Suit" issue though.
                        RPI Pep Band
                        GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                        🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                        2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                        2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Since we have not had much hockey to talk about-for those who have HBO-the current series 24/7 profiles the Rangers and Flyers before the epic outdoor tilt coming up in Philly. There has been 2 installments so far (that can be caught with On Demand) with one more to go. Great chance to see some inside material on what it is like to play in the NHL. Oh, and a chance to see how an old friend of ours, Harry Z, is doing as a Flyer.
                          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Just curious, any chance we see the ECAC expand past the current 12 and take in RIT if Hockey East ends up bringing in UConn instead of RPI or QU? The Tigers could be a good addition to the league, they'd be joining up with the other Liberty League schools and I guess that new 4,000 seat arena thats in the works wouldnt hurt either. If they do add RIT, Id imagine they would add at least one more school maybe Niagara to make an even number of teams.

Comment

Originally posted by redhead18 View Post
                              Just curious, any chance we see the ECAC expand past the current 12 and take in RIT if Hockey East ends up bringing in UConn instead of RPI or QU? The Tigers could be a good addition to the league, they'd be joining up with the other Liberty League schools and I guess that new 4,000 seat arena thats in the works wouldnt hurt either. If they do add RIT, Id imagine they would add at least one more school maybe Niagara to make an even number of teams.
                              I would highly doubt it...a 14-team league would mean 26 league games a season assuming a home and away for each, leaving the Ivys just 3 nonconference games in their already-short schedule. I have a hard time imagining them going for that. The only way I would see it happening is if they broke the ECAC into two divisions or something like that, but all it accomplishes for the teams already in the league is drop the chances of earning the autobid in any given year, not to mention there's no good/balanced way to split the conference into divisions with 14 teams.
                              APBWiki

Comment

Originally posted by GRussinko View Post
                                I would highly doubt it...a 14-team league would mean 26 league games a season assuming a home and away for each, leaving the Ivys just 3 nonconference games in their already-short schedule. I have a hard time imagining them going for that. The only way I would see it happening is if they broke the ECAC into two divisions or something like that, but all it accomplishes for the teams already in the league is drop the chances of earning the autobid in any given year, not to mention there's no good/balanced way to split the conference into divisions with 14 teams.
                                I agree. Also, 14 not being a multiple of 4, would mean that either one pair would be idle, playing OOC, or playing one or both parts of their home-and-home every week. In any case, it would complicate scheduling.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X