Minnesota State @ Minnesota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
    There are other words I would use instead of angry, but I won't go there.....
    Of course you would.

I'm making the trip Friday for reasons not even I can understand.
    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Re: Minnesota State @ Minnesota

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
      Of course you would.

Obviously, you're not married.

Otherwise, you'd have more than enough aggravation in your life.

Comment

You want to watch some good hockey, so you're going to go watch the Gophers?

Comment

Of course you would.

Why would you expect anything less? I know I don't expect anything less from you. At least when you make your gameday post rooting against the Gophers it can be for YOUR team this week.
          "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

From Gophersports

View From Minnesota State

Shane Frederick is in his 12th season covering Minnesota State hockey for The Mankato Free Press.

Minnesota welcomes Minnesota State to Mariucci Arena for two games this weekend. We talked to Shane Frederick of the Mankato Free Press about the Mavericks. Frederick is in his 12th season covering Minnesota State hockey for The Free Press and was previously the editor of Let's Play Hockey for five years. You can read his blog here and can follow him on Twitter @puckato.

GopherSports.com: Shane, what can you tell us about Minnesota State this year?

Shane Frederick: The Mavericks have struggled over the first two months of the season, winning just three games. Currently, they are on a five-game winless streak; they've also had a six-game losing streak already this season.

Minnesota State has had an amazing number of injuries, especially on defense, as junior co-captain Tyler Elbrecht broke his arm in the first game of the season and has been out since (he was cleared for contact this week, however). Elbrecht and four other defensemen, including senior Cameron Cooper, have missed a combined 34 games to injury. That hasn't helped a rather inexperienced corps that lost a ton of minutes with the graduation of Kurt Davis, Ben Youds and Channing Boe.

Also, sophomore forward Chase Grant, one of the bright spots from last season, has been lost for the season with a hip injury.

As for the healthy players, MSU has a group of talented freshmen, led by winger Jean-Paul LaFontaine, nephew of Hockey Hall of Famer Pat LaFontaine. The all-rookie line of LaFontaine (7 goals, 3 assists), Matt Leitner (4 goals, 6 assists) and Max Gaede has been the most prodcutive group thus far, and freshman defenseman Zach Palmquist has played a lot and has seven points.

Junior winger Eriah Hayes has played well of late. He is on a six-game scoring streak and has four goals and five assists. The LaCresent native also has 44 penalty minutes. Senior Justin Jokinen (2 goals, 4 assists) is coming off a strong weekend in a loss and tie to Alaska Anchorage.

In goal, Bloomington native Austin Lee has played the most. He had a fantastic stretch going early in the season, including a 1-0 shutout at RPI to start the season and back-to-back wins at Michigan Tech and at home to St. Cloud State.

GS: Who is one player that Gopher fans should pay extra attention to this weekend?

SF: Gopher fans may remember the name Michael Dorr. The Roseville native played for Minnesota for one semester before transferring to Minnesota State. The senior winger is now one of the Mavericks' co-captains and has 1 goal and five assists this season. During his time with the Mavericks, he has 18 goals and 30 assists in 72 games. He scored a goal against his old team last year in Mankato. But these will be his first games in Mariucci Arena since he donned a Gophers sweater in the fall of 2008 when he played in two games for Minnesota.

GS: What do you think the Mavericks have to do to win?

SF: Despite their record, the Mavericks have had some strong first periods this season. Their only problem is that they haven't scored much (21 shots on goal, no goals in the first period at UMD, for instance) when they've had those opportunities. I think they need to get off to a quick start and hope their goaltending gets back on track. After a rough weekend in their own end against Anchorage, MSU has to do a better job with the puck and avoid unforced turnovers that leave their goalies out to dry.

Minnesota fans should expect to see a typical MSU team--one that skates well and generally plays hard--much like previous Troy Jutting-coached teams. The question is: Do the Mavericks have the talent and the depth to keep it close or keep up.
            Originally posted by CavalryNate
            Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
              It was called the Minnesota College Hockey Showcase and the attendance BLEW. Nobody showed up for first game and not even a huge crowd for second one. Don't remember if this year's seniors were in that game but I don't think so, and Gophers won that game anyway. Hope we get better attendance when the MN tourney starts up.
              It will take time before attendance really improves.
              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                Why would you expect anything less? I know I don't expect anything less from you. At least when you make your gameday post rooting against the Gophers it can be for YOUR team this week.
                You understand I grew up a Sioux fan as well correct? I've been going to the Final Five since before the Mavs were even Divison I. As a kid my favorite color was green, I liked the Sioux, since age 3. Just always loved that green team and it probably helped the Sioux were pretty good in the late 90's as I grew into hockey knowledge, etc. Been a fan since.
                Last edited by MavHockey14; 12-01-2011, 03:24 PM.
                AF 99

Comment

You understand I grew up a Sioux fan as well correct? I've been going to the Final Five since before the Mavs were even Divison I. As a kid my favorite color was green, I like the Sioux, since age 3. Just always loved that green team and it probably helped the Sioux were pretty good in the late 90's as I grew into hockey knowledge, etc. Been a fan since.
                  And as of Jan 1st they will no longer exist...

Comment

You understand I grew up a Sioux fan as well correct? I've been going to the Final Five since before the Mavs were even Divison I. As a kid my favorite color was green, I liked the Sioux, since age 3. Just always loved that green team and it probably helped the Sioux were pretty good in the late 90's as I grew into hockey knowledge, etc. Been a fan since.
                    My sympathies to you...

That does clear up some confusion though.
                    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                      My sympathies to you...

That does clear up some confusion though.
                      Definitely. I hate the gophers as much as anyone, but I don't just troll around posting against them every week
                      AF 99

Comment

• Re: Minnesota State @ Minnesota

I blame bad parenting.

Comment

I can't tell which is worse. Sioux fan or Mav fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                            Sioux fan, a Mav fan is really a Gopher fan deep down.
                            Originally posted by CavalryNate
                            Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                              A hawkeye fan.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                              And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                              Twenty red lights in his honor
                              Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
                                ...a Mav fan is really a Gopher fan deep down.
                                Not a chance in hell.
                                My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Working...
                                X