Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Notheastern at Notre Dame: "Hey, Goliath. Let me Show You How this Slingshot Works"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Notheastern at Notre Dame: "Hey, Goliath. Let me Show You How this Slingshot Wo

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
    Is that what you took from my post? That I am already putting Northeastern as a top 10 team? The only thing conveyed by what I typed was that the excuses for Notre Dame getting swept and waxed one night are pretty pathetic. They got outskated, outhustled and out-goalied especially. That simple. It will happen to Northeastern again this season and already has.
    If you think that the results of the weekend are a fair reflection of NU rather than indicative of a poor showing by ND, then NU is a top five team. I say this because ND's body of work outside of the weekend says that ND is a top five team.

If you think that a poor showing by ND was involved, then I think it's fair to speculate as to contributing factors to a poor showing by ND.

I'd like to think that I've seen enough Jeff Jackson ND hockey over the past six years to identify a poor ND effort irrespective of the things that the opponent does to make things difficult for the Irish, but my view may be colored by the result from the previous night and my desire to see ND bounce back from it, even though I didn't watch that game.
    Last edited by Craig P.; 12-06-2011, 09:49 AM.
    Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
    Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Re: Notheastern at Notre Dame: "Hey, Goliath. Let me Show You How this Slingshot Wo

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
      And if you thought NE outskated ND on Saturday you must have missed most of the game. Most teams that outskate other teams usually manage more than 5 shots on goal for two periods. You are right about the goalies though.
      FWIW, watching online, I thought the game looked pretty even through the first ~two periods as far as effort goes, though ND was far from sharp, and then ND looked terrible in the third period. I don't think it's wrong to say that NU outskated ND there. The shot disparity goes more toward NU closing up shop and trying to bank the win than it does ND outskating NU.
      Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
      Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

What I am taking from your posts is that my team seems to have a little more class and humility than some of the NE posters I guess. You obviously weren't among those who made the trip west because despite every opportunity to act like over reaching fools the NE fans who watched their team win last weekend were pretty cool. If you don't think an illness as bad as what I have heard has been making its way around a few college sports teams the last few weeks would make a team look like Notre Dame did Friday you obviously have never tried to compete athletically at an elite level. It's not an excuse. It's a reason. And if you thought NE outskated ND on Saturday you must have missed most of the game. Most teams that outskate other teams usually manage more than 5 shots on goal for two periods. You are right about the goalies though.
        Irish, cut the posters a bit of slack. Some of us were "unprepared" and are still recovering from the shock of this past weekend. No one expected events to unfold as they did.

A couple of thoughts: NU (NOT NE) has not shown itself to be a team that gives away the puck by throwing a lot of grade B and C shots at the net. I believe that we've been outshot in 14 of 15 games this year. We've lost seven of those and tied two.

On Friday ND played like a boxer who had been knocked on his butt three times in the first round and never really got the cobwebs cleared out. The only one who looked like he might have been ill was Johnson. Fortunately, he appeared to recover nicely within 24 hours.

For reasons that are unknown to me, the stars seemed to align for the three teams in Hockey East with new coaches.
        NU, Lowell and Providence each swept opponents who, according to the preseason prognosticators, should have cleaned their digital clocks. I'm sure it has happened before, but I am at a loss to remember when.

Comment

What I am taking from your posts is that my team seems to have a little more class and humility than some of the NE posters I guess.
          Please, I'm not bragging about anything. I have said in previous posts which you probably didn't read that UND obviously had one of "those nights" on Friday. Just don't make excuses is all.
          It's not really the people in here, it was the CCHA blogger who conveyed it in an excuse type of manner. For all she knows, half of Northeastern could've had ailments also. I'm certainly not going to use that as an excuse for why we started 1-7.

We're on a run, it may stop, it may continue, we'll find out. I have never implied more than that.
          Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
          Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
            If you think that the results of the weekend are a fair reflection of NU rather than indicative of a poor showing by ND, then NU is a top five team. I say this because ND's body of work outside of the weekend says that ND is a top five team.

If you think that a poor showing by ND was involved, then I think it's fair to speculate as to contributing factors to a poor showing by ND.

I'd like to think that I've seen enough Jeff Jackson ND hockey over the past six years to identify a poor ND effort irrespective of the things that the opponent does to make things difficult for the Irish, but my view may be colored by the result from the previous night and my desire to see ND bounce back from it, even though I didn't watch that game.
            Not the best logic. Beating a top 5 team twice doesn't make you a top 5 team if you lose games with 7 minutes of powerplay to end the third/OT and tie against what now could be inferior squads like UMASS (assuming this streak isn't a fluke). So no, in no way am I saying we are top 5. I stated in the Week 9 rankings thread that we aren't top 10 and don't deserve to be HM because we are still under .500%. I said this to a fellow NU fan. I just don't care for hearsay excuses that's all. NU outskated UND this particular weekend, that's it. If the weekend is replayed 5 times, UND probably wins at least 3 of those times.
            Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
            Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Working...
            X