Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Promoters asleep at the switch?

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
    D-1 hockey would do itself a favor if individual programs would simply give away their webstreams. We're talking only hundreds or low thousands of dollars per weekend at most for any program. UAA's webstream is free and during the Gophers series at one point it had 8000 viewers. 99 percent of those viewers wouldn't have watched it if they'd had to pay for it. If ALL D-1 schools gave away their webstream it would help raise the profile of the sport.
    That only really works if the normal place to watch it has a low if not non-existant cost, Minnie. It may make us moochers happy, but for the schools (and the conferences come playoff time), it's still a business. I do agree that something needs to be sacrificed in order to maximize the product. Obviously in the case of UAA-Gophers, I'm assuming the series was in Alaska, so it's a good trade-off. If you're talking people that won't go 20 miles to see the game (with consideration of whether or not the game is sold out), then you have an issue. What if they were to institute a system to black out IP addresses and encourage people to go to the games (at least with the private institutions, not sure what implications that would have with public institutions)? Keep radio free, that's for sure, but video is obviously the issue here.

The biggest trick with the streams is to use them to encourage people to go to the games in person, or to watch either on the pay site. Also, why couldn't local advertising be used to offset the costs (should there be any moochers out there)? I realize most school TV clubs run a non-profit budget, but there has to be some room in there for revenue somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
      So you're saying you wish there was more $$$ in college hockey? Rather a different tune than you usually sing...
      Srsly... this has to be one of the first times that relevant debate has come from one of Bear Red's threads!

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
        So you're saying you wish there was more $$$ in college hockey? Rather a different tune than you usually sing...
        I fear you are tone deaf. I would love to see AMATEUR college hockey expand and flourish. To do this college hockey must become a self-sustaining sport, perhaps even generate revenue - within reason. The chief sources of revenue for hockey are ticket sales and TV contracts. Ticket sales are at the mercy of the size of the puck, the size and cost of the arena, and the vagaries of weather. TV only has to cope with the size of the puck, and the potential for TV revenue is relatively great. Incurable optimist that I am, I do not believe that an influx of sports revenue invariably corrupts a school's academic standards, recruiting standards, or ethics. Cash flow is still a wretched excuse to justify shabby conduct by athletic departments.

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
          I fear you are tone deaf. I would love to see AMATEUR college hockey expand and flourish. To do this college hockey must become a self-sustaining sport, perhaps even generate revenue - within reason. The chief sources of revenue for hockey are ticket sales and TV contracts. Ticket sales are at the mercy of the size of the puck, the size and cost of the arena, and the vagaries of weather. TV only has to cope with the size of the puck, and the potential for TV revenue is relatively great. Incurable optimist that I am, I do not believe that an influx of sports revenue invariably corrupts a school's academic standards, recruiting standards, or ethics. Cash flow is still a wretched excuse to justify shabby conduct by athletic departments.
          Uhhhh.... what college hockey is not considered amateur? Unless you're talking about how the CIS (Canadian colleges) allows Major Junior players...

You should also include local advertising in this. Obviously there's a correlation between advertising dollars and butts in seats, but the reciprocal isn't true. Take Yale for example. There's no local advertising along the boards or on the ice. I'm unaware of any other in-house advertising (through programs or signs on the outer walls) they have as I haven't been there in 4 years, but local companies pay good money at most arenas to get their message at a location where people will see it. It's not an ivy rule, either, as Cornell's boards are filled to the brim with local business messages.

Comment

Working...
          X