X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Season Thread Part Deux

Originally posted by goblue View Post
    As despicable an act as attempting to force another human being to have sex is, he didn't kill someone while driving drunk, as Craig MacTavish (a UML star) did in the '80's when he played for the Bruins.
    I'm pretty sure that rape is looked down upon by society AND the law more than drunk driving vehicular manslaughter/homicide.

Comment

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
      I'm pretty sure that rape is looked down upon by society AND the law more than drunk driving vehicular manslaughter/homicide.
      I would tend to agree. A lot of people can relate to having more drinks than they should than driving, but very few people can relate to attempting to rape someone. I've grown up and don't drive after drinking, but most high school and college kids and young adults have done driven after drinking. It is a bad mistake in judgement. Rape is just a reprehensible act.

Comment

• Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
        Doesn't mean they are right.
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I love how the comments section on the USCHO story on Trivino quickly dived into a North Dakota-Minnesota flamefest.

Comment

As Irishfan85 just wrote, drunk driving, whether you make it home or kill someone in the process, is nothing more than very, very bad judgement and it can happen to pretty much anyone that drinks. Rape on the other hand is a premeditated heinous crime. Decent people have killed while driving drunk, decent people don't rape other human beings. Not even close, sorry.....

Comment

Originally posted by TimP View Post
              Personally, I think that if he knew of Trivino's drinking problem and did nothing to get him help, there's blood on his hands too.
              :facepalm:

"Parker said he had talked to Trivino more than once about getting help for his alcohol problems, but that Trivino refused."
              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

As Irishfan85 just wrote, drunk driving, whether you make it home or kill someone in the process, is nothing more than very, very bad judgement and it can happen to pretty much anyone that drinks. Rape on the other hand is a premeditated heinous crime. Decent people have killed while driving drunk, decent people don't rape other human beings. Not even close, sorry.....
                Are we really trying to marginalize drunk driving as not that bad, and that "decent" people do it? If you're intoxicated and get behind the wheel of a car, you're placing others in as much danger as if you stuck a gun in their face. I refuse to call anyone who chooses to drive while intoxicated, or anyone who rapes/assaults another person, "decent".
                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

The fact that you type out an action on someone's part where they knowingly continue to drink to the point where they can not properly operate an automobile and drive and kill someone sums you up rather well. It's just a life, huh? Not yours. Bad mistake, but decent people kill. Oh well.

Comment

Would rather have someone out there with a gun than someone driving drunk. Throw away the key on the first offense. No one has the right to ever take put someone elses life at risk, first time, second time, third time. Does not matter. Drink over the limit and drive, no license for ten years, minimum 2 years behind bars and watch the arrests drop off.

Statistics

An average drunk driver has driven drunk 80 times before first arrest.

Centers for Disease Control. “Vital Signs: Alcohol-Impaired Driving Among Adults — United States, 2010.” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. October 4, 2011. http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6039a4.htm

MADD serves a victim or survivor of drunk driving every nine minutes.

(MADD data, 2010)

This year, 10,839 people will die in drunk-driving crashes - one every 50 minutes.

(NHTSA, 2009) Full cite: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. ?2008 Traffic Safety Annual Assessment ? Highlights? DOT 811 172. Washington DC: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 2009. http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811172.pdf

One in three people will be involved in an alcohol-related crash in their lifetime.

(NHTSA, 2001; NHTSA FARS data) Full cite: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. ?The Traffic Stop and You: Improving Communications between Citizens and Law Enforcement.? National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, March 2001, DOT HS 809 212. http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/inju...Stop_index.htm

One in three 8th graders drinks alcohol.

MADD has saved 27,000 young lives through passage of groundbreaking public health laws.

(NHTSA, 2009) Full cite: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. ?Traffic Safety Facts 2008: Young Drivers?. DOT 811 169. Washington DC: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 2009. http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811169.PDF

One in three will be involved in an alcohol-related crash in their lifetime.

(NHTSA, 2001; NHTSA FARS data) Full cite: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. ?The Traffic Stop and You: Improving Communications between Citizens and Law Enforcement.? National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, March 2001, DOT HS 809 212. http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/inju...Stop_index.htm.

Every minute, one person is injured from an alcohol-related crash.

(Blincoe, et al, 2002; Miller et al, 1998) Full cites: Blincoe, Lawrence, et al. ?The Economic Impact of Motor Vehicle Crashes 2000.? Washington, DC: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 2002. http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/econ...conImpact2000/ and Miller, Ted, Diane Lestina, and Rebecca Spicer. ?Highway Crash Costs in the United States by Driver Age, Blood Alcohol Level, Victim Age, and Restraint Use,? Accident Analysis and Prevention, 30, no. 2 (1998): 137-150.

50 to 75% of convicted drunk drivers continue to drive on a suspended license.

(Peck, et al, 1995 and Beck et al, 1999) Full Cites: Peck, R.C., Wilson, R. J., and Sutton, L. 1995. ?Driver license strategies for controlling the persistent DUI offender, Strategies for Dealing with the intent Drinking Driver.? Transportation Research Board, Transportation Research Circular No. 437. Washington, D.C. National Research Council: 48-49. and Beck, KH, et al. ?Effects of Ignition Interlock License Restrictions on Drivers with Multiple Alcohol Offenses: A Randomized Trial in Maryland.? American Journal of Public Health, 89 vol. 11 (1999): 1696-1700.

One in five teens binge drink. Only 1 in 100 parents believes his or her teen binge drinks.

(Institute of Medicine, 2003) Full cite: Institute of Medicine National Research Council of the National Academies. Bonnie, Richard J. and Mary Ellen O?Connell, eds. Reducing Underage Drinking: A Collective Responsibility. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press, 2003.

Teen alcohol use kills about 6000 people each year, more than all illegal drugs combined.

(Hingson and Kenkel, 2003) Full cite: Hingson, Ralph and D. Kenkel. ?Social and Health Consequences of Underage Drinking.? In press. As quoted in Institute of Medicine National Research Council of the National Academies. Bonnie, Richard J. and Mary Ellen O?Connell, eds. Reducing Underage Drinking: A Collective Responsibility. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press, 2003.

Car crashes are the leading cause of death for teens and one out of three of those is alcohol related.

(NHTSA, 2009) Full cite: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. ?Traffic Safety Facts 2008: Young Drivers?. DOT 811 169. Washington DC: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 2009. http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811169.PDF

Kids who start drinking young are seven times more likely to be in an alcohol-related crash.

(Hingson, 2001) Full cite: Hingson, Ralph, et al. ?Age of Drinking Onset, Driving After Drinking, and Involvement in Alcohol-Related Motor Vehicle Crashes.? DOT HS 809 188. Washington, DC: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, January 2001.

Drunk driving costs each adult in this country almost $500 per year.

(Taylor, et al 2002) Full cite: Taylor, Dexter; Miller, Ted; and Cox, Kenya. ?Impaired Driving in the United States Cost Fact Sheets.? Washington, DC: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 2002. http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/inju...ing_pg2/US.htm

High school students who use alcohol or other substances are five times more likely to drop out of school or believe good grades are not important.

(NIDA, 2008) Full cite: National Institute on Drug Abuse. ?Volume 1: Secondary School Students?, National Survey Results on Drug Use from The Monitoring the Future Study, 1975-1997. Rockville, MD: Department of Health and Human Services, 1998.

Every minute, one person is injured from an alcohol-related crash.

(Blincoe, et al, 2002; Miller et al, 1998) Full cites: Blincoe, Lawrence, et al. ?The Economic Impact of Motor Vehicle Crashes 2000.? Washington, DC: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 2002. http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/econ...conImpact2000/ and Miller, Ted, Diane Lestina, and Rebecca Spicer. ?Highway Crash Costs in the United States by Driver Age, Blood Alcohol Level, Victim Age, and Restraint Use,? Accident Analysis and Prevention, 30, no. 2 (1998): 137-150.

Since 1980 MADD has nearly saved 300,000 lives ...and counting.

(Fell, 1995 and NHTSA FARS data) Full cite: Fell J.C. (1995), "What's New in Alcohol, Drugs and Traffic Safety in the U.S.?" National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Proceedings of 13th Conference, International Council on Alcohol, Drugs and Traffic Safety, ICADTS, NHMRC Road Accident Research Unit, University of Adelaide, Australia, C.N. Kloeden and A. J. McLean (Editors), T95, pp 329-335

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzxIW_RKIa0

Comment

You got it hoky!

Zero strike policy. Nobody makes you drink when you are out. I get many bottles of water at bars when I'm driving. Decent people don't kill.

Comment

I'm not talking about the repeat offender you see on the news with 10 OUI's who drives without a license and kills someone while $hitfaced. I'm talking about the person that has one too many at a wedding or business function and we both know that almost everyone has been there done that once in their life, the only difference being that most of us were fortunate enough to not have a car beside us that time we swerved out of our lane for a second. Again, not trying to minimize drunk driving, it's a MAJOR problem, but rape is a PREMEDITATED despicable crime. No matter how bad judgement it is, very few drunk drivers get behind the wheel knowing that they are going to kill someone.
                          Last edited by carltonbarrett; 12-13-2011, 09:22 PM.

Comment

There are so many posts here today that i've barely scanned that I hope I'm not beng redundant.

First, I don't know exactly what happened but if Trivino assaulted this RA he dserves severe punishment. That said, this just doesn't seem to be adding up to me. I think there are facts we are not aware of and a degree of spin that leaves me with many questions.

I do know that Trivino is well known to be very laid back and not a violent type at all. If he was drunk out of his mind that could have changed things but there tend to be happy drunks and violent drunks and I put him in the first category.

I'm also guessing Trivino was let into this woman's room because there is no way he broke down a locked dorm door. [I just read a more detailed account explaining that he was let into the room...not quite sure why he would have been let in again following his despicable attemts to kiss her, etc as reported the first time her door was open] If he was let in, I can't help but question what transpired after that. I'm guessing this RA and Corey had history...maybe positive and maybe negative. Trivino showed incredibly poor judgement regardless but until the facts come out all we can do is speculate. I don't believe it's beyond the realm of possibility that if this RA had a tense relationship with Trivino and other hockey players that could factor into whatever happened as well as what she alleged.

The second area that just doens't add up is Parker's interview. I've never seen a coach/school official disclose the amount of details and dirty laundry that Parker did in his interview. I'm not an attorney but wonder about the propriety of what all he disclosed to the press given privacy laws that protect students. Make no mistake, I believe that with Trivino's history and this event dismissal from the team was an automatic but the degree Parker went to to plead his position just seems like someone trying too hard to get his sound bites out and is odd to me.

I don't know what happened Sunday night but believe that withholding judgement and delaying his lynching in the press and sports blogs is the appropriate way to go until there is more clarity for everyone to make an informed judgement at that time.
                            Last edited by collegefan06; 12-13-2011, 09:42 PM.

Comment

I'm not talking about the repeat offender you see on the news with 10 OUI's who drives without a license and kills someone while $hitfaced. I'm talking about the person that has one too many at a wedding or business function and we both know that almost everyone has been there done that once in their life, the only difference being that most of us were fortunate enough to not have a car beside us that time we swerved out of our lane for a second. Again, not trying to minimize drunk driving, it's a MAJOR problem, but rape is a PREMEDITATED despicable crime. No matter how bad judgement it is, very few drunk drivers get behind the wheel knowing that they are going to kill someone.
                              A. This is insane. They know they are putting everyone else on the road in danger, even if they do not plan to kill anyone.
                              B. What if you rape someone when you're drunk and it's not premeditated, and rather just being incoherent. On the decency standards where do they rank compared to Mr DUI

Comment

You are so far beyond wrong, it's not worth the time to respond.
                                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Working...
                                X