This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hockey Dogg View Post
    Understood and completely fair point.And, reading one of Mookie's subsequent posts, probably a little TOO defensive on my part. But, still wanted to clarify and explain.....
    I hope one of my subsequent posts clarified... I know I took two night classes there 20+ yrs ago for electives myself... But it is something different. You don't get smart and go places just by showing up in life, you need to take advantage of the opportunities that are presented to you. I would hate to think I offended trivino or any other student - after all we are all just safety school students!!
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Season Thread Part Deux

Originally posted by Huskies01 View Post
      i disagree. He was not 21 with his first incident was he? Or how about the second? The response should be, go to a class get some help and then you can play again. Not if you do it again your gone. That is coddling, we know you have problem, but we don't want to force you to do anything to get help that you do not want to do, your an important player who could play a key role down the road and we do not want you to leave. Lets close our eyes and hope it all works out, or if it blows up, hopefully you are someone elses problem at that point.

This could have been nipped in the bud alot earlier without anyone getting hurt.

And I do not give credit for not covering up. Way not to try to hide it! We are not Penn State! Please, pathetic argument avoiding the one on why he was not forced to get help to begin with.
      Very little of what you just said made a lot of sense to me.

Also, of the points which I could understand, I think I disagree with all of them.

If the drinking issue was so pervasively detrimental to his life that the kid needed help-- then I think the first people who should have noticed that are his family or friends. Not his coach. Not BU Hockey. And certainly not the University.

Comment

Have any media outlets put up a pdf of the police report? Since it was used in court I believe it is all public records.

Comment

i disagree. He was not 21 with his first incident was he? Or how about the second? The response should be, go to a class get some help and then you can play again. Not if you do it again your gone. That is coddling, we know you have problem, but we don't want to force you to do anything to get help that you do not want to do, your an important player who could play a key role down the road and we do not want you to leave. Lets close our eyes and hope it all works out, or if it blows up, hopefully you are someone elses problem at that point.

This could have been nipped in the bud alot earlier without anyone getting hurt.

And I do not give credit for not covering up. Way not to try to hide it! We are not Penn State! Please, pathetic argument avoiding the one on why he was not forced to get help to begin with.
          The comments about an alcohol problem came from a Twitter post, there is apparently a story to come, so we don't know the full extent. We don't know that he wasn't sent to some kind of alcohol consultation, as many BU students who face repeated judicial sanctions for alcohol are required to go to alcohol education classes. If you're insinuating that every time they find out that a college kid was drinking, they should immediately ban him from playing and send him to counseling, you're way out of the spectrum of reality. This is the first time the result of his drinking has lead to damage or harm to others, or himself. It's not like he got drunk and beat somebody up in the past, and they did nothing - to our knowledge. If they had knowledge that he drank a lot very frequently, that's not something they're obligated to act on, and we don't know that they didn't. I can tell you that at every university there are RA's, staff, professors, etc. who know of students who drink excessively and don't do anything.
          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Jofa View Post
            All I know is that over the dozen years or so there has been far too many embarassments/incidents/involuntary departures under Parkers "leadership". It would interesting to see the list hopefully someone will oblige.
            Compare and contrast the following dismissals and non-dismissals from BU hockey:

1. John Sabo
            2. Andy Glass
            3. Corey Trivino

I'll leave Bartlett, Klema, and the rest out of it for now.
            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
              Compare and contrast the following dismissals and non-dismissals from BU hockey:

1. John Sabo
              2. Andy Glass
              3. Corey Trivino

Do you mean Bennett? Just making sure, since I don't know of any incident involving a Bartlett, but it could have been before my time.

BU Alum '07

Comment

Originally posted by Jofa View Post
                All I know is that over the dozen years or so there has been far too many embarassments/incidents/involuntary departures under Parkers "leadership". It would interesting to see the list hopefully someone will oblige. Its got to be up there as the most in a D1 hockey program, its like the BC football/basketball of college hockey. Nice job Jack.
                Really? It's Parker's fault that the kid tried to assault a girl? So it must be York's fault that a bunch of his players overcrowded into an SUV wasted, then ran away from the cops? It must be York's fault that no one knows why Motherwell was kicked off the team? It must be York's fault that the Atkinson brothers were arrested with their dad for beating a kid up?
                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post

1. John Sabo
                  2. Andy Glass
                  3. Corey Trivino

Sabo, don't know the story, won't comment.

Glass seemed to be a team rules thing, stemmed from some miscommunication and laziness on his part, and possibly an overreaction from Parker. I'll buy that this one wasn't handled as properly as it could've been.

Trivino, cut and dry, had nothing to do with his actions on the team, on the ice, or in the locker room. Got arrested and accused of a deplorable crime, Parker probably did a quick check of the police report to get the facts, probably talked to a person or two to make sure this wasn't totally fabricated, and promptly and correctly threw him out of the program. This one was handled correctly.
                  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by joen05 View Post
                    Do you mean Bennett? Just making sure, since I don't know of any incident involving a Bartlett, but it could have been before my time.
                    It was before your time. Russ Bartlett was a highly-skilled center who played for BU from 1997-1999. Was the 3rd leading scorer as a Sophomore on the 1998-99 team. However, he was dismissed following that season for, IIRC, "failure to live up to standards of a BU hockey player". I believe the dismissal centered around differences between Bartlett and Coach Parker regarding work ethic and level of commitment at practices, off-ice workouts, etc. Bartlett was given the opportunity to remain at BU on scholarship, but elected to transfer to St. Lawrence where he was a productive player for them from 2000-2002.

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                      It was before your time. Russ Bartlett was a highly-skilled center who played for BU from 1997-1999. Was the 3rd leading scorer as a Sophomore on the 1998-99 team. However, he was dismissed following that season for, IIRC, "failure to live up to standards of a BU hockey player". I believe the dismissal centered around differences between Bartlett and Coach Parker regarding work ethic and level of commitment at practices, off-ice workouts, etc. Bartlett was given the opportunity to remain at BU on scholarship, but elected to transfer to St. Lawrence where he was a productive player for them from 2000-2002.
                      Ah ok, thank you.

BU Alum '07

Comment

Forcing someone to get help NEVER works unless that person accepts and wants the help. In fact, people who are forced to get help generally come out the other side in worse shape because they use the "help" to learn how to cover up their issue so people won't notice. Therefore, by the time people notice again things have really gotten out of control Generally the only thing that gets a person to the point of seeking out help is some type of major consequence (e.g. being kicked off a hockey team). I speak on this from the position of having several family members who have been forced to get help repeatedly and each time come out as a bigger addict. Parker and the coaching staff definitely should have offered help to the kid if he wanted it, they even could have told him, "we think you have a problem and should get help." But forcing help upon him would not have kept this situation from happening, as unfortunate as that is. It may have kept it from happening at BU (e.g. "If you don't get help you're off the team") but it wouldn't have kept it from happening.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                          The comments about an alcohol problem came from a Twitter post, there is apparently a story to come, so we don't know the full extent. We don't know that he wasn't sent to some kind of alcohol consultation, as many BU students who face repeated judicial sanctions for alcohol are required to go to alcohol education classes. If you're insinuating that every time they find out that a college kid was drinking, they should immediately ban him from playing and send him to counseling, you're way out of the spectrum of reality. This is the first time the result of his drinking has lead to damage or harm to others, or himself. It's not like he got drunk and beat somebody up in the past, and they did nothing - to our knowledge. If they had knowledge that he drank a lot very frequently, that's not something they're obligated to act on, and we don't know that they didn't. I can tell you that at every university there are RA's, staff, professors, etc. who know of students who drink excessively and don't do anything.
                          As I said in my first post, not knowing if they did try to intervene. full story yet to come there. IF they tried and he said no, I wonder why the coach would not toss him at that point? Why do you want to keep someone who seems like they have a problem and does not want to fix it and could down the line cause an issue? Again, just because this was his first time assaulting someone, does not mean the problem was not there. He had been in trouble before.

If they know he drinks, and he has multiple incidents, then I would think trying to intervene is the right thing to do for the person. If they know he drinks, and its not an issue, its not an issue. In this case, there seems to have been known issues.

Me, its not you do it again your gone, its go get help or your gone.

Everybody ultimately is responsible for their own actions. But everybody is always talking about programs whether its football/basketball/hockey on how it makes boys men, and teaches them life lessons. Until something like this happens and then that turns into the coach is not the players mommy. You cannot have it both ways.

Again, I cannot give credit to the coach here for kicking him off the team and not covering it up, that is just doing the right thing. I would like to let the story play out before I start sending out kudos for a job well done by Parker here though. Feels to me like he knew there was a possible problem and did the bare minimum for the kid.
                          DogHouse Graduate 2001

Comment

So it was 4 strikes and you're out for Trivino.

And the penalty got lesser from one case to the next in one instance.

Interesting.
                            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Seems like no one has seen this yet...Parker's reactions to the whole situation via Boston Hockey Blog phone interview:

http://www.thebostonhockeyblog.com/2...-leave-no.html
                              Last edited by Kdog41109; 12-13-2011, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Wait. Why? Was this such a tough decision to make here? We now congratulate people for doing the right thing? Weak.

But I have some questions here for coach Parker. So, you know this student athlete has had problems with drinking before, and in fact, is on warning that if he screws up again, he is booted off the team. When he was made aware of this, was he asked/forced to take a class or two on the dangers of drinking, or something along those lines? Did you perhaps after the first issue, get in touch with his parents and ask, as politely as possible, is there a family history with alcohol abuse, I only ask because we have had a few issues with your son in his short time here, and we would love to get him help so he can continue on with a promising hockey career? And, not as important but, reporters are now saying that coach Parker said it was easy for him to let Corey go because he was on warning. So wait, if he wasn't, he would still be a member of the squad pending charges against him, or the decision would have been tougher?

To me, it seems like this kid has a problem, and was left to hang out to dry by his coach and the university.

I write this pending more information coming out on what might have been done to help this kid after his previous issues. But please, lets not congratulate the coach here for "doing the right thing." The right thing would have been to get him help in the first place so this issue does not happen. Not leave the choice in the hand of a kid who has already proved he cannot handle making the right decision.
                                And just how do you know that they haven't been trying to help him all along? Do you know something that we don't?

Comment

Working...
                                X