X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Season Thread Part Deux

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
    Not to derail the thread but just wanted to add to the price of attending thing (cause it's a completely valid discussion, especially in this economy).

I completely rip the BC AD all the time but this is actually something that BC has done very well.

4 tickets ($10 each in the family section) = $40
    Parking = Free
    Family Food Plan (or some other gimmicky name 4 sodas & 4 hot dogs) = $22 (I believe but it's around there.

= $62
    I've seen that there before, that's a great deal, and the point made before about BU becoming a different kind of family night out thing is totally correct. If they offered this kind of thing, it would be far more likely that a family would decide on a whim to come to a game, since the ~$65-75 they would spend is not a whole lot more than if the four of them went to a movie and got concessions there, whereas the $150+ they spend now is very likely not something that a lot of families are going to just decide to do one night. That kind of package would be most applicable to the Holy Cross-type OOC games, Lowell, UMass, etc. This would very likely open the games up to more people and get them interested in the program, and feel a part of it, rather than constantly watching on TV because they don't want/can't afford to pay $32 a ticket to see BU play Holy Cross.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

1). Don't tell me how college hockey is a great value because it is half the price of NHL hockey. I don't see anyone paying 1/2 price to go see bc play baseball vs Florida state or Miami. BU hockey is grossly overpriced.

2). 116-120 should be GA seating for students. Splitting them was dumb. Idiotic. Stupid.
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
        1). Don't tell me how college hockey is a great value because it is half the price of NHL hockey. I don't see anyone paying 1/2 price to go see bc play baseball vs Florida state or Miami. BU hockey is grossly overpriced.

2). 116-120 should be GA seating for students. Splitting them was dumb. Idiotic. Stupid.
        Splitting them was dumb from a students point of view. From a management point of view it was cha-ching.

Only allowing student season ticket holders in 118 drives up demand and most students will pay for it if they really want it. This also drives up demand for 117 and 119 for the students who want to be near 118 or sneak into 118. I believe 116 and 120 is where they start putting regular season ticket holders. It is far enough away from 118 to let fans enjoy the game without being disturbed by students. However, it is also close enough to enjoy the students cheering and the band. These seats are great for recent grads who still want to enjoy the games with friends and students who are still friends.

Making 116-120 be GA means a lot less money and a lot less demand. Plus, it would make the student section seem empty all the time. 118 would be packed but it would slowly thin out to nothing once it gets to 116 and 120. Leaves a lot of empty seats.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          Show of hands - who's headed to NYC this weekend for Red Hot Hockey?

::raises hand::
          I'll be there.

BU Alum '07

Comment

?? GA tickets would cost something ( or at least get the student pass $ transferred). It would make a bigger community, have people get there early to get best seats (you may not necessarily need to be in the middle of 118, if you prefer the side, low, or glass.. Unless you think there would be some lame caste system where 118 fools would spit upon 117'ers .
            Volume would help noise. Cohesion. The band could increase in size if you suspect the seats wouldn't fill (or double the band to limit supply and falsely pump demand
            Move those season ticket holders to the other side. Lower price if need be (some arenas put a premium on sideline seats and make end zones cheaper). BU is already gouging regular seat prices so they can't cry the few bucks they get for student season tickets are a great loss.

In WBA students were boxed into the far end (7/8) and with the band had a greater concentration.
            Sure, some games would have an empty look. But that is the case now when 108 is empty and 118 half full. At least if you had regular ticket holders in 108 it would be a halfarsed U..but again any (albeit) small student presence is concentrated with the band.

Comment

Right about now, I'm really missing the Tuseday before Thanksgiving Day games that we used to have on the schedule for so long.

Here is to hoping that tradition comes back next year.

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                Speaking of memorable nights in the old joint, none matches the 1977 ECAC QF game vs. BC. BU beat BC 8 -7. Rick Meagher had a hat trick in the last 8 - 9 minutes, including the game winner with maybe 39 seconds remaining. In those days, if you lost that game, the season was over. In the swamps of my memory, it seemed that Joe Mullen had a quality scoring chance every time he touched the puck that night.
                That was the year BU burned out a few red goal lights in the ECAC tournament. After the QF win, BU beat Clarkson 7-6 in the semifinal (3 goals in the final 3:05 including Dave Silk's GWG with 37 seconds left) and New Hampshire 8-6 in the championship game.

Speaking of the old joint, this coming Sunday is the 40th anniversary of the WBA opener, a 6-3 win against Yale. We're working on a post for the blog about BU hockey's first on-campus home.

RHH at MSG: hand raised.
                The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

I just received an email that the Stanley Cup will be at the pre-game pep rally.
                  It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                    I just received an email that the Stanley Cup will be at the pre-game pep rally.
                    I'm not touching it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                      Argh.. I still may have to try to pull this together to get to the game...

Comment

this game saturday is on tv!!!!! 634 on my directv!!! alrighty!!!

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                          Speaking of memorable nights in the old joint, none matches the 1977 ECAC QF game vs. BC. BU beat BC 8 -7. Rick Meagher had a hat trick in the last 8 - 9 minutes, including the game winner with maybe 39 seconds remaining. In those days, if you lost that game, the season was over. In the swamps of my memory, it seemed that Joe Mullen had a quality scoring chance every time he touched the puck that night.
                          Stood behind the goal on the bleachers where the Friends of Hockey room eventually was build.
                          Also recall a great comeback against RPI that year. I think BU was behind 5-1 with about 8 minutes left, then it went to Eruzione and Meagher ... a goal a few seconds before the end, and the game-winner a few seconds into OT.

Ricky Meagher could dominate a game all by himself!

Comment

been to the previous two but events have conspired against me this year...have found that a hotel room in the financial district is a pretty good deal on T-giving weekend
                            I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Shouldn't the BU / Harvard game be starting about 2 1/2 hours from now?

Am I the only one who misses that scheduling?

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                                Shouldn't the BU / Harvard game be starting about 2 1/2 hours from now?

Am I the only one who misses that scheduling?
                                No really miss this game--always had a large group- Ate at Charley's kitchen when at Harvard
                                They initally moved the harvard game to 1/14 when they were considering it as a fenway game
                                Is it still on that date or back to 1/4

Comment

Working...
                                X