X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Season Thread Part Deux

Originally posted by steakbomb View Post
    If one withdraws before flunking out does one flunk out?
    The bomb just went boom.
    Last edited by quiddlet; 12-16-2011, 02:48 PM.
    Let's go Terriers!

It hasn't taken me long to realize, everybody here knows a lot more than me about college hockey...

1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      Parker can't say he would have been academically ineligible? You see that exact phrase constantly come up in hoops/football.
      Sure. But did he stop with "trivino was arrested on a charge of attempted rape and some nighttime b&e. Reports include that he was drunk. I told him in September that if he had any alcohol related event going forward he would be removed from the team. He was removed this morning."

No "another incident". No "I told him he had a problem". How I presented it was factual and middle of the road.

If he starts with "academic" how long until ****** comes out?
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
        Again, nobody's saying the team is better off without him. That designation is reserved for players like John Sabo. What I am saying is given what he was actually producing, not what he hypothetically would have put up in later years, he's not a big loss and it will have little impact on how the team would have finished with him vs without him. First, a guy putting up 10 points in his place wouldn't be that far off of Coyle's pace this year (13 points at the break). Second, to qualify as a "huge loss" shouldn't the guy be putting up big numbers (as a forward)? If every 20 point scorer is a "huge loss" what happens if we lose a 40 or 50 point scorer early. We're going to run out of adjectives (cataclysmic loss, apocalyptic loss, what?).

If there's one thing that bothers me above all else out of my fellow fans its the deflation of standards for what is considered good hockey around here when a recruit doesn't pan out. How about calling it as we see it. Nothing Coyle did tells me he was going to be anything but a 20 point, barely if even 10 goal a year scorer. What exactly are we giving up here?
        seeing that he is a 92 birthyear(Merrimack haS 7+ 90 BIRTHYEAR FRESHMAN) AND HIS upside over next 2 1/2 seasons was huge. He is an 18/19 year old sophmore. getting better every dau

Brock Bradford went from 18-45 points
        J Hayes 13-36
        B Smith, 19-50-37
        C Atkinson 19-52 from fresh to jr year
        Kreider went from 23 points in 40 games to 23 pts so far in 18 games

a fool would think coyle has stagnated

Comment

Again, nobody's saying the team is better off without him. That designation is reserved for players like John Sabo. What I am saying is given what he was actually producing, not what he hypothetically would have put up in later years, he's not a big loss and it will have little impact on how the team would have finished with him vs without him.
          Fair enough. I saw this as being his last season no matter what; whether the NHL teams need them or not, they drag their 1st round picks out of NCAA after two years max generally anymore. Not all the time, but probably in this case. I wouldn't absolve the Wild of having a place in this decision either.

Coyle's 14 points in 16 games is not an awful pace. No, it's not elite stuff, but it's a top 6 forward, and difficult to replace halfway through a season. When we lose a 50 pt guy like Colin Wilson early but at the end of a season, we have more options in bringing in recruits a year early potentially. Except for rare cases, that doesn't happen at winter break. It's a blow.
          Boston University 2009 Champs
          Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Originally posted by steakbomb View Post
            If one withdraws before flunking out does one flunk out?
            Someone get Chris Bourque on the phone ASAP.
            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
              seeing that he is a 92 birthyear(Merrimack haS 7+ 90 BIRTHYEAR FRESHMAN) AND HIS upside over next 2 1/2 seasons was huge. He is an 18/19 year old sophmore. getting better every dau

J Hayes 13-36
              B Smith, 19-50-37

Well done. It's even more of an issue with guys that are big like Coyle. They take some time to really get going at the D1 level. Still learning how to use their size, filling out even more, etc.
              Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 12-16-2011, 03:04 PM.
              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                Well done. It's even more of an issue with guy's that are big like Coyle. They take some time to really get going at the D1 level. Still learning how to use their size, filling out even more, etc.
                Which is why I said BC fans are way too hard on Kevin Hayes, point wise he's ahead of where Jimmy was but that's for another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                  Someone get Chris Bourque on the phone ASAP.
                  Make the call!

Im sure he nos how to work his fone.

Comment

• Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                    Which is why I said BC fans are way too hard on Kevin Hayes, point wise he's ahead of where Jimmy was but that's for another thread.
                    I try to exhibit the same patience with defenseman. The fact is if you are good on defense and 18 or 19 they have a special name and place for you.... For example "Chris pronger" and "NHL blue line". Other at that young age who have less skill need seasoning and will make mistakes. So the bar is lower for the guys we have on defense and you have to accept times of trouble.

Hard to do.... But I try
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post

J Hayes 13-36
                      B Smith, 19-50-37

Only a bigger fool would try to equate the experience of BC players to BU as a proxy for Coyle's supposed development. If both schools' experiences were the same, we wouldn't be the ones gong to one FF in the last 14 years.

candycanes, its a fair point about this happening mid year as opposed to a year end departure.
                      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Only a bigger fool would try to equate the experience of BC players to BU as a proxy for Coyle's supposed development. If both schools' experiences were the same, we wouldn't be the ones gong to one FF in the last 14 years.

candycanes, its a fair point about this happening mid year as opposed to a year end departure.
                        175 BU examples as well....

Rick Meagher from 40 to 80 pts
                        Tom Oregan 24 frsh year to 52 jr
                        Clark Donatelli 35 to 62 in 2 years
                        Even his cousin Tony tacked on 30 from fresh to soph

only the biggest fool would think he hit his stride

McEachern tacked on close to 40 pts

our old pal jay pandolfo went from 17 goals to 38 goals. he also came in as a 17 year old

Comment

So mook, anything good on TV tonight?
                          Bugs Bunny - 96
                          Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Hokydad, what was your role in this Milbury assault incident?

Comment

Hopefully he was the assault-ee!
                              Spaulding get your foot off the boat!

Comment

Man, at some pt you just have to laugh. Thank god we all have lives outside of BU hockey (i think?..)

Comment

Working...
                                X