replied
    Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Season Thread Part Deux

OK. Fair enough.

Leave a comment:

• Federal League
    replied

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    Big difference between reporting that "Coyle denies" the rumor or something to that effect and saying "that rumor is false as of right now". It wasn't false. So... DFP was wrong.

It's obvious Coyle has a reason to lie about it if he doesn't want news of it to get out for a few days.
    The rumor that he had already left (which is what they were responding to) was in fact false as of when they tweeted that. I was working on this story all day yesterday and knew quite a bit about what was going on, as Hokydad just alluded to. If the tweet said "Coyle will leave" or "is leaving," it would be a different story. But the tweet from the BC blog was that he was already gone. That was not accurate as of then. The Freep didn't do anything wrong here.

Leave a comment:

• candycanes99
    replied

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
    I wasnt claiming the 2012 end of the world...
    Alright, so your big 3 was Trivino gone, Coyle gone, and ??????

What's the third horseman of the apocalypse?

Leave a comment:

• candycanes99
    replied

I can assure you of one think, Fed knew about it but has to much class not to report it until he had the facts... That is what a good reporter does..
    I don't see any problem with the Freep reporting facts. The fact was "Charlie said this." What he said might have been a boldfaced lie, but it's still true that he said it, right? I'm glad they didn't jump to conclusions and start reporting the rumors instead actually.

Leave a comment:

• Hokydad
    replied

Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post
    You did? I saw your proclamations of looming dark clouds, but when did you ever break the story?
    I wasnt claiming the 2012 end of the world...

Leave a comment:

• Nick Papagiorgio
    replied

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
    I can't believe I'm even bothering to respond to you, but what exactly was the Freep supposed to do differently? They talked to him and he said he was staying. Are they supposed to not report what he says?
    Big difference between reporting that "Coyle denies" the rumor or something to that effect and saying "that rumor is false as of right now". It wasn't false. So... DFP was wrong.

It's obvious Coyle has a reason to lie about it if he doesn't want news of it to get out for a few days.
    Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 12-16-2011, 08:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Hokydad
    replied

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
    I can't believe I'm even bothering to respond to you, but what exactly was the Freep supposed to do differently? They talked to him and he said he was staying. Are they supposed to not report what he says?
    I can assure you of one thing, Fed knew about it but has to much class not to report it until he had the facts... That is what a good reporter does..
    Last edited by Hokydad; 12-16-2011, 08:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• candycanes99
    replied

There was never a question. I wouldnt have posted it if I didnt know it was true.
    You did? I saw your proclamations of looming dark clouds, but when did you ever break the story?

Leave a comment:

• Hokydad
    replied

There was never a question. I wouldnt have posted it if I didnt know it was true.

Leave a comment:

• Federal League
    replied

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
    wow coyle's bu career really took a DIVE. i'm glad the freep was so on top of this story. very professional

Leave a comment:

• collegefan06
    replied

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
    As times have changed, the coach is no longer the be all, and end all of players' college existences. There are certain rules and guidelines that even veteran, iconic coaches like Parker, York, Boeheim, Saban and Miles have to follow.

Coaches still have the power of discipline within their own programs. But how much control, or power, should have they outside of their team structures? Where does their responsibilities end, and the players' own responsibilities take over? And what of the school? And the players' own families?

Athletes that can accept responsibility for themselves tend to be the ones that rise in the ranks to leadership positions. If they can help guide and lead teammates, they become captains.

Athletes have a responsibility to their team, teammates, school, coaches and families. They will either put in the effort and sacrifice and maximize their talents, or they won't. And there are a lot of people trying to help them along that path to success. The threat to take that all away is the most powerful tool that a coach has in his arsenal of discipline. And you are correct - if it has to be used, it hurts everyone.

A coach needs to have the courage to make that threat, and to back it up.

Parker drew that line in the sand for Trivino, and he crossed it. And Parker backed it up by doing exactly what he said he would do. Short of an intervention (which others have posted would need to come from his family), it appears that Parker used the strongest tool of discipline that is at a coaches discretion to use in this time we live in.
    Originally posted by chickod View Post
    Because, as has been reiterated ad nauseum on this thread, you CAN'T make somebody do something they don't want to do! Why do we keep analyzing this to death? In one breath, there are all these comments that "Parker doesn't resonate with today's players" and then in the next breath they say he is supposed to magically solve all their problems by "telling" them what to do?? Listen to yourselves!!! Jeez...enough already.
    Yes, enough already both of your single minded approach to how Parker runs the program makes you incapable of distinguishing what I'm saying to what you believe. No harm no foul. If you think Parker has similar enduring relationships with his players of today that are similary to yesteyear that is fine. I KNOW he doesn't and don't feel a need to convince you.

As to the handling of Trivino, I've never said Jack has the ability to "cure" or force Trivino to deal with his apparent drinking issue. I just believe there was a better way to deal with it. Again no harm no foul. I respect that you are entitle to your opinion as well.

Leave a comment:

• claver2010
    replied

Yes... we all need to know now if Coyle ever gave reblur the eye in the locker room. You know, for character assessments... to add irrelevance to the stories.
    This should be a fun Friday on the boards...

Leave a comment:

• TonyTheTiger20
    replied

Going to be a fun next 3 months watching BU drop like Coyle's GPA.
    +1

Leave a comment:

• Nick Papagiorgio
    replied

Boy the fanboys sure are ornery already. Going to be a fun next 3 months watching BU drop like Coyle's GPA.

There has to be a level of shock here for the fanboys in denial that went to bed knowing that Parker handled the Trivino situation perfectly and Coyle was definitely coming back because he'd never lie to the DFP. This morning they wake up and after watching Cartoon Network for a few hours they find that USHR reports that Coyle is gone and the BU players are not happy with Jacko.

There are only a few things to do according to Rule 5.6c in the Fanboy Handbook. In no particular order:

- Deny the USHR story is true.
    - Smear the credibility of USHR.
    - Blame it on Nate Gerbe.
    Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 12-16-2011, 07:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Redd10
    replied

Need a tissue?
    nah, the sheets on your mother's bed work just fine

Leave a comment:

Working...
X