Minnesota vs Jan Brady State (home and home) Nov 18th-19th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota vs Jan Brady State (home and home) Nov 18th-19th

This thread is worse than last weeks. Shocking.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      This thread is worse than last weeks. Shocking.
      ...and it's only Monday.
      Originally posted by Skeeterman
      Lady Wore Black is a hottie.
      "I love hockey, it is such a great sport. I love how the outfielders use their baseball bats to hit the ball across the ice field, pass the punter for nothing but net shot from downtown." - Unknown

"No matter what happens in college hockey tournament, the Yankees will not win the World Series this year." - Mr. wore Black

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        She was cute, and OF AGE (that's really important; just so you know).

So, you guys gonna try and steal one of our asst coaches again? That's really worked out Oh wait, you won ONE NCAA tourney game! Success!
        Didn't work out too well for the Gophers, because they haven't really won much since Motzko left.
        Originally posted by SJHovey
        Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
        Originally posted by Brenthoven
        We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
          I wasn't asking permission. God you're arrogant.
          Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
          A St. Cloud fan talking about worthless banners. Priceless.
          No no, THIS is priceless.

Not to derail this from the quality hockey talk already taking place but honest question, do the gophers plan on Patterson playing every minute of the year? He's obviously playing at a high level right now but has Lucia talked about getting their backup any playing time? Would be difficult to justify sitting Patterson at this point but just curious. From what I've seen Haula and Rau have been impressive, how about some other "players to watch for" this weekend?
          Last edited by motox; 11-14-2011, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by motox View Post

Not to derail this from the quality hockey talk already taking place but honest question, do the gophers plan on Patterson playing every minute of the year? He's obviously playing at a high level right now but has Lucia talked about getting their backup any playing time? Would be difficult to justify sitting Patterson at this point but just curious. From what I've seen Haula and Rau have been impressive, how about some other "players to watch for" this weekend?
            I don't think Lucia has directly addressed resting Patterson. Most of us expect Shibrowski to get some time in the holiday tournament or a non-conference game.

The biggest player to watch, and easiest to pick out, is Bjugstad. He looks like he's playing a level above everyone else on the ice most of the time this season. To be that big and strong and still have that much speed and stick skill is very impressive. Schmidt has been very good on the blue line, very steady defensively and yet jumping into the offense as well. Warning has looked good at times as a frosh and Hansen is looking much improved from last year.

ETA: dam multi-quote feature is still broke!

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
              I don't think Lucia has directly addressed resting Patterson. Most of us expect Shibrowski to get some time in the holiday tournament or a non-conference game.

The biggest player to watch, and easiest to pick out, is Bjugstad. He looks like he's playing a level above everyone else on the ice most of the time this season. To be that big and strong and still have that much speed and stick skill is very impressive. Schmidt has been very good on the blue line, very steady defensively and yet jumping into the offense as well. Warning has looked good at times as a frosh and Hansen is looking much improved from last year.

ETA: dam multi-quote feature is still broke!
              This. Also add Marshall to the list. He's had some lapses defensively, as freshman will, but has also shown a willingness to jump up in the offensive zone, and looks great with the puck.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                Didn't work out too well for the Gophers, because they haven't really won much since Motzko left.
                Two regular season titles and a playoff title in that stretch don't count for anything?

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                  This. Also add Marshall to the list. He's had some lapses defensively, as freshman will, but has also shown a willingness to jump up in the offensive zone, and looks great with the puck.
                  Yeah Marshall has started to really come on, he looks confident rushing into the offensive zone.
                  Originally posted by CavalryNate
                  Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by motox View Post

Have not read anywhere about Lucia saying he is going to play anyone other than Patterson. I think the Gophers are going to go with Patty until he breaks down, which I pray does not happen come March. As for other players to watch for, Bjugstad, Nate Schmidt, and Ben Marshall come to mind.

Our PP has definitely tailed off the past couple of series, but Schmidt is (maybe was now) the second leading 'D' scorer in the WCHA after Schultz of Wisconsin, mainly because of his great quarterbacking of the PP. I feel completely comfortable when Nate Schmidt is breaking our team out of our own zone as well. I have no idea how this kid did not play more last year.

Bjugstad is a beast. It looks like he is gliding half the time and yet he still gets by opposing 'D' men with ease. I think he needs to use his body more than he already is, but he is one hell of a player. I hope he stays another year, but I do not see it happening.

I have been down on Ben Marshall for most of the year because of his unwillingness to take the body in our 'D' zone, but when he is taking the puck up the ice, there is no one better on our team. The kid can flat out make plays. He is already better than Aaron Ness, which I realize is not saying much, but it makes Ness not missed nearly as much.

I am sure someone with a better hockey mind can give you more "in-depth" information than I can. Who should the Gophers look out for on SCSU's roster?

Edit: Looks like about 60 people beat me to your question.

Comment

• Re: Minnesota vs Jan Brady State (home and home) Nov 18th-19th

Originally posted by HoosierBBall_GopherHockey View Post
                      I have been down on Ben Marshall for most of the year because of his unwillingness to take the body in our 'D' zone, but when he is taking the puck up the ice, there is no one better on our team. The kid can flat out make plays. He is already better than Aaron Ness, which I realize is not saying much, but it makes Ness not missed nearly as much.
                      I have been saying that all along and none of you believed me! Not specifically about Marshall because I didn't know as much about him as you guys did going into the season, but I had a feeling this team wouldn't miss Ness as much as some people around here thought they would. SO FAR, I have been right(sorry, I had to point that out because I am rarely right).

Originally posted by The Ref View Post
                      Ha! I knew this thread would be funny.

Gas and parking for the game = $15
                      Dinner at Stub and Herbs = $30
                      Tickets for the game = $70
                      One Golden Gopher hockey fan harassing another for teasing the SCCC hockey team = Priceless
                      Are you inferring that there will actually be a Jan fan at Mariucci on Saturday to heckle?
                      "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Is it Friday yet?!?! I cannot wait for this series! I have a half day Friday and I can't wait to get out of work and go hit the bars in cloud early! Gonna be a fun weekend!

I predict a 3pt weekend for the Gophers. I'd love to see them win at the hockey center, but I'm kinda thinking a 3-3 tie there on Friday and coming back to Mariucci with a 4-1 win on Saturday.
                        "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                          Is it Friday yet?!?!
                          No, we still have several more days of Brent and DL arguing over who is more lonely and/or pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by Pump It Up View Post
                            No, we still have several more days of Brent and DL arguing over who is more lonely and/or pathetic.
                            Oh, i think there is no contest here. DL is the more lonely while Brent is the more pathetic.

Comment

Hard to get excited about playing these neer do wells. We pretty much own the goofers.
                              Bob is making me concerned
                              I am the voice of reason

Comment

Good info and appreciated. Yeah, Bjugstad is an obvious one. Kid is huge, has great speed and skill to go along with it. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he finish high school a year early and start playing with the Gophers last year when he "should've" been a senior in high school? Unreal. Hearing of Schmidt's success is bittersweet with him being a St. Cloud kid and all. Would've been great seeing him in Cardinal and Black but when you're that highly touted at a young age you're going to get offers that are hard to pass up from big time programs.

As for the Huskies, they're at a little bit of a crossroads right now. Lee is gone for the season and the "heart and soul" captain Drew LeBlanc has a broken leg (happened against Wisco.) Fortunately one of the strengths for the Huskies is their depth. No one big line to focus on, especially now with Drew out as he was our leading scorer when the injury occurred and that top line was really starting to gel. Cam Reid (talented sophomore) has been moved from wing to center on that line with Jared Festler (IMO, best sniper on the team) on the wing and last weekend Brooks Bertsch was on the other side. Will be interesting to see if Bob sticks with Brooks or tries someone else, like Garrett Milan who in my mind could be compared to former Huskies like Lasch/Roe in terms of size and speed....whether that translates to points is yet to be seen. Most Husky fans will say that Hanowski-Dowd-Eddy is our top line now. They played awful last Friday night and were a combined -10, but they knew they played poorly and took ownership of it. Came back and had 2 of the 3 goals Saturday. Eddy started slow but is coming on, Dowd is an impressive sophomore that can make plays happen and Hanowski (the Bear) is putting pucks in the net like we expected him to when he came in. 3rd line of MacMillan-Thorson-Novak is starting to find their place. Thorson has a point in 5 of the last 6 games and Novak would be in the running for fastest guy in the league. 4th line of Oliver-Christian-Milan/Holka brings some energy.

Defense has been a pleasant surprise as that was the biggest question mark coming into the season. Freshmen Jarrod Rabey and Andrew Prochno (Minnetonka kid) have played much better than expected as freshmen. Prochno is very good with the puck and is paired with our best defensemen from last year, Sophomore Nick Jensen. Rabey is a BIG kid, listed at 6'1" and 238lbs....but he skates well, can move the puck, and has a big shot. Kevin Gravel (6'4" sophomore) has been solid on the blueline as well. You could see 3 freshmen on the blueline for the Huskies with Tim Daly getting more playing time. They're young and have definitely made some mistakes but overall have surprised on the upside.

At goalie, freshman Ryan Faragher has stepped in to fill the void Lee's injury caused. In his "surprise start" at UND he stood on his head and made 41 saves in a shutout. Since then he has played well giving the team a chance to win each game. He has continued to make some really impressive saves but has had a couple goals I'm sure he'd like back. He takes up a lot of the net being 6'2" and doesn't seem to lack confidence, which I like to see in a goalie.

Special teams have been boom or bust with bust being the case lately. Last weekend they were something like 0-10 on the PP and gave up TWO short-handed goals to the landcows. In order to beat the gophers the special teams play will need to be drastically improved over last weekend. Quick injury side note, Husky fans are also hopeful to see freshman David Morley at some point in the season. He came in with high expectations but has been sidelined from the start of the season with a concussion.

Before the season if you had told me two of the three captains in Lee and LeBlanc would be gone before the second weekend in November I would've said bottom half of the league no doubt. But with a goalie showing he can step up and a defense that is starting to come around I think this team can finish in the top half of the conference and contend for a bid to the NCAAs. There are still a lot of unknowns though. It's only been one weekend since Drew's injury and we'll know a lot more about this team being able to contend after this weekend. I'm sure other Husky fans can give a different perspective/info but this is my "optimistic" take at this point. Should be a great series.
                                Last edited by motox; 11-14-2011, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X