Minnesota vs Jan Brady State (home and home) Nov 18th-19th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
    Well I apologize if you've been in a thread where I mentioned this before, but I actually am very impressed with how well we travel considering our size. UW, MSU-M, MN, UMD, UND, we get fans in those buildings, (we actually have a pretty high percentage at MSU-M) and when you consider how small our fanbase is... 90+% of the adults wearing SCSU jerseys in those buildings attended SCSU. The radius of "Husky Country" is about 30 miles, and its more of an island, becase even if you go north that becomes "Gopher Country" again pretty quick. And while some people live in St. Cloud and cheer for the Huskies without having gone to the school, they usually don't care enough to go to road games.

The Gophers are like the Yankees in that they get the bandwagoners, and I don't mean to lump the people on this board in with them, I'm sure almost none of you are. But if you guys had a run-of-the-mill or crummy performance history, then you wouldn't come out of the woodworks everywhere. I'm a Lakers fan, but I hate all the Lakers fans I know. Some tool from Oklahoma who just wants to cheer for a winner can suck it; I'm from Minnesota and Southern California, and when I was a kid there were no MN teams, just a team in LA that was originally from MN. I also cheer for the Dodgers, LA Kings and UCLA (and hate USC), so I take the bad with the good. Hell, basketball is the sport I care the least about EASILY, so of course when you throw that in with the Vikings, its almost a laugh that I can't seem to support anyone that wins a championship except the one I care about the least.

So I know Gopher fans love tArrogance and 5...6...7 NCs, but I am happy going to the Kohl or the Ralph or the Qwest and seeing the handful of fans on a not very popular team stand up and cheer.
    Excellent post man.

Comment

• Re: Minnesota vs Jan Brady State (home and home) Nov 18th-19th

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
      Who cares about Football.

I think your tent in the mountains is missing you.
      Don"t you get it Bronzebacks? Him not knowing what he is talking about makes you the idiot.
      Originally posted by SJHovey
      Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
      Originally posted by Brenthoven
      We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by mariucci View Post
        Believe what you want.

Is it coincedental that the minute Guentzel leaves the defense blows, the hustle disappears, and the development becomes a joke, upon his return it all starts to come together again?

As far as the arrogance? I need more detail please. How was my comment arrogant or how in the world does that fit into this discussion about Guentzel? I can say your version of a response was a bit condescending and snide crying out for an arrogant responce, but I suppose since being a Gopher fan that would just reaffirm your narrow views of the fanbase which likely includes your family members, neighbors and coworkers.

I was an EOD tech in the service and a 16yr vet as a Dakota Cty police officer so forgive me for believing that what I see is what it is.. I don't waste my time wondering if whats walking like a duck and quaking like a duck is a donkey... Concerning Guentzel's impact on the above mentioned. It is what it is, no need to over think it.

Is that insight enough for you?
        "Most of the criticism ends up John's way. And he understands that and I understand that,'' Lucia said. "And I always say back in the '90s we worked together [at Colorado College] and we lost in the [1996] national championship game to Michigan.

"We had three, four defensemen who were All-Americans, we had defensive players of the year," Lucia said, referring to the Tigers. "John came here when I first came to work here and certainly helped us those couple years to where we won a couple national titles [in 2002 and '03].
        Originally posted by SJHovey
        Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
        Originally posted by Brenthoven
        We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Cloud has a great fanbase..

Im thinking about heading up for the game on Friday ut not sure if tix are readily available, I haven't looked into it.. I havent been to that arena yet...
          There is nothing on stubhub for Friday so I don't know what kind of luck you will have finding tickets. I would maybe try craigslist or something but it is going to be a struggle at this point.
          "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
            "Most of the criticism ends up John's way. And he understands that and I understand that,'' Lucia said. "And I always say back in the '90s we worked together [at Colorado College] and we lost in the [1996] national championship game to Michigan.

"We had three, four defensemen who were All-Americans, we had defensive players of the year," Lucia said, referring to the Tigers. "John came here when I first came to work here and certainly helped us those couple years to where we won a couple national titles [in 2002 and '03].
            Talk is cheap. John Hill wasn't a good coach here. There were plenty of rumblings from players and perspective recruits, as well as alums, that testify to that fact.

It's nice to see Don stand up for his friend, but Hill needed to go. If for no other reason than a change was needed.

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
              There is nothing on stubhub for Friday so I don't know what kind of luck you will have finding tickets. I would maybe try craigslist or something but it is going to be a struggle at this point.
              It will be tough at this point. Gophers games are the hardest tickets in town to get (availability and price wise).

Comment

Thanks for the tip.. I will check out Craigs list and not waste my time on stub hub.

~

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                  Don't you get it Bronzebacks? Him not knowing what he is talking about makes you the idiot.
                  Oh I definitely gathered that much. It's a good thing that fans like him are the small minority, no matter what team they cheer for.

Comment

Believe what you want.

Is it coincedental that the minute Guentzel leaves the defense blows, the hustle disappears, and the development becomes a joke, upon his return it all starts to come together again?

As far as the arrogance? I need more detail please. How was my comment arrogant or how in the world does that fit into this discussion about Guentzel? I can say your version of a response was a bit condescending and snide crying out for an arrogant responce, but I suppose since being a Gopher fan that would just reaffirm your narrow views of the fanbase which likely includes your family members, neighbors and coworkers.

I was an EOD tech in the service and a 16yr vet as a Dakota Cty police officer so forgive me for believing that what I see is what it is.. I don't waste my time wondering if whats walking like a duck and quaking like a duck is a donkey... Concerning Guentzel's impact on the above mentioned. It is what it is, no need to over think it.

Is that insight enough for you?
                    Easy now, I'm just having a little fun. Actually most people I know that are gopher fans are not arrogant. That comment comes from years and years of reading posts on this site, with most of it going back to around 10+ yrs ago when I regularly posted here. I haven't been on this site very much the last few years but figured it would be fun to go back and forth a little with gopher fans this week. To be honest, my arrogant comment wasn't even directed specifically at you and is mostly a running joke, but things aren't really that funny unless true, right?

The problem with your "Guenztel changed everything" theory is that there are way more variables in play here. Could it be that one coach can have THAT much of an effect on an entire program? Maybe, but I don't think it's very likely. As another gopher fan pointed out, "tTurnAround" is due to a combination of many factors. Btw, I did see a few tickets for the game in SC on CL last week. If you make it up I'd even buy you a beer if I get up there early enough, but I am bringing my 4 yr old son so that might make it a little more difficult.

Comment

No one else seems to have taken your bait, but since I was the one making the wisecrack, I will try to give you a slight rundown on your question.

1. UND - hands down the most
                      2. UMD - they always have their crew that invades the student section or SRO as well as a strong showing in the regular seating
                      3. UW - they could maybe be #2 but IMO, I still say UMD
                      I think 4-8 could be interchangable
                      4. Denver
                      5. St. Cloud
                      6. Mankato
                      7. Bemidji
                      8. CC
                      9. Tech - although I think they could easily be in the 4-8 mix as well
                      10. UNO - could also be in that mix
                      11. AA - just a handful ever make the trip

Quite honestly, 4-11 are pretty even.
                      It should really be:

1: UND

5: Duluth
                      6: Wisconsin

10a: SCSU
                      10b: Mankato

15-20: Random assortment of the rest, depending on the year.

Because the gaps really are that big.

SCSU used to have a bunch show up, not much recently. I'd bet that there were probably as many UND fans a couple weeks ago as there will be Sconni/SCSU/Kato fans combined, unless SCSU brings a lot more than they have the past several years. If Duluth played at MN this year, that would push the total up past UND, but there are always a ton of Sue fans that show up.

Any hyperbole aside, that's about the order that I'd put them in. Even recently, SCSU and Kato tend to have more show up on a consistent basis than anyone else. Given the proximity, I'd think that they would be above Duluth/Wisconsin, but they rarely have been.

Comment

I think the Gophers turn around can be attributed to a number of different factors:

- Mike Guentzel's return (not just on defense, but special teams and player buy-in. He exemplifies "Pride on Ice")
                        - Don Lucia being healthy and engaged
                        - Great Sophmore and Freshman recruiting classes and Hansen turning the corner
                        - Good on ice leadership
                        - Good team chemistry and players who are committed to the program and don't have a foot out the door already (Bjugstad and Haula being examples of the former and Schroeder and Okposo examples of the latter).
                        Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 11-15-2011, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_MN View Post
                          It should really be:

1: UND

5: Duluth
                          6: Wisconsin

10a: SCSU
                          10b: Mankato

15-20: Random assortment of the rest, depending on the year.

Because the gaps really are that big.

SCSU used to have a bunch show up, not much recently. I'd bet that there were probably as many UND fans a couple weeks ago as there will be Sconni/SCSU/Kato fans combined, unless SCSU brings a lot more than they have the past several years. If Duluth played at MN this year, that would push the total up past UND, but there are always a ton of Sue fans that show up.

Any hyperbole aside, that's about the order that I'd put them in. Even recently, SCSU and Kato tend to have more show up on a consistent basis than anyone else. Given the proximity, I'd think that they would be above Duluth/Wisconsin, but they rarely have been.
                          That's fair, and I have no problem with that. I wasn't saying we take over the building, I just had a hard time figuring we were behind anyone other than the top 3.

As for the proximity... I dunno. The difference between SCSU and UMD to the Cities isn't SO disparaging that I'd expect SCSU would gain a huge advantage over UMD there. I'd assume it'd basically be a wash, or close to it with SCSU having a bit of an edge. 150 miles from Duluth to Mpls isn't that huge of a trip.

And I'm surprised you didn't see more of us the last few years. Woulda thought there'd have been a ton seeing as they would be expecting wins. SCSU's 2-1-0 at Mariucci over the past two years, coasted to 4-1 and 5-2 wins and then that Sunday game where we threw the kitchen sink at Patterson in the 3rd but couldn't crack him and lost 2-1.

Who knows... maybe going 0-6-0 and 0-4-0 in that building a few years back scared some of the fans from going back.
                          tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by motox View Post
                            If you make it up I'd even buy you a beer if I get up there early enough, but I am bringing my 4 yr old son so that might make it a little more difficult.
                            I'm sure your 4 year old won't drink that much (even a St. Cloud 4 year old) there should be enough left for mariucci.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                              I'm sure your 4 year old won't drink that much (even a St. Cloud 4 year old) there should be enough left for mariucci.
                              He doesn't need a lot, he just needs to keep his throat from getting dry when reminding Patterson of how much he sucks.
                              tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                                He doesn't need a lot, he just needs to keep his throat from getting dry when reminding Patterson of how much he sucks.
                                So motox's 4 yo is a BADger fan?

Comment

Working...
                                X