The Greatest Games ever played

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Greatest Games ever played

As most of you know I love formulas to rank certain things, and I have built one to determine how great a game was. At this point, I am asking the board for nominations for the greatest games of all-time. If you have the box score (or a link to the box score) that would be great, especially for older games. Obviously, pretty much anything from the past 10-12 years is on here, so no need to post box scores for recent games (unless you want to). I thought I would throw out some of my favorites, and please note that only the formula is done at this point in time. I have not plugged games into it. Anyway, here are some of my favorite games of all time...

2004 Regional Final: North Dakota v. Denver
    2004 WCHA Final Five Championship: North Dakota v. Minnesota
    2007 WCHA Final Five Championship: North Dakota v. Minnesota
    2007 Regional Final: North Dakota v. Minnesota
    2011 National Championship: Minnesota Duluth v. Michigan
    1991 National Championship: Northern Michigan v. Boston University
    1993 National Championship: Maine v. LSSU
    2002 National Championship: Maine v. Minnesota
    2004 National Championship: Denver v. Maine

These are just a few of my favorites. Comments and questions are always appreciated, and please post games that you think should be included in the Greatest Games ever played.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Re: The Greatest Games ever played

I'm not sure how it might rank in this formula... but it must be up there with one of the greatest comebacks.

2009 National Championship: Boston University vs Miami

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
      I'm not sure how it might rank in this formula... but it must be up there with one of the greatest comebacks.

2009 National Championship: Boston University vs Miami
      Agreed. That was an awesome game. It will definitely be included.
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

I was at a North Dakota at UMD game in '86 where UND came back from 4 or so down with five minutes left in the third to tie the game and later win in OT.

The UMD - Princeton regional in 2009 was a hell of a game.

There was not a national title game in 1989.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
        And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
        Twenty red lights in his honor
        Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Maine V Michigan semi-final in 93 was a great game
          Bowling Green and Duluth National championship game in 84

Comment

One of the greatest I remember seeing was the UNH game against North Dakota in the opening round of the NCAA's in 2009. UNH scored the tying goal with a tenth of a second on the clock and won it in OT. Just a phenomenal game by both teams, and neither deserved to lose.
            Let's go Cats!!!

Philadelphia Phillies Well there's always next year

2007 ECAC East-NESCAC LPS Champ!!
            2009 ECACHL Pick 'em champ!!

"All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible." [Noah Webster. History. p. 339]

Comment

1989 Harvard v. Minnesota.

Unbelievably heartbreaking, but that was an awesome game. Friggin' Skarda.
              Last edited by state of hockey; 11-10-2011, 11:48 PM.
              the state of hockey is good

Comment

UW vs. Cornell 2006 1-0 3OT
                UW vs. BC 2006

UW vs. Nodak (1999?) twin OT games both won by UW w/David Hukalo netting the winner each night

BU vs. Mich 1997 - BU upsets

pretty much any Mn vs nodak game of the last decade, jesus there's been some great hockey there
                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Really, that 2006 title game? I know BC almost tied it, but UW "dominated" that game as much as possible in a 2-1 final.

I'd have to include the 2001 national title game...BC over UND in OT on a sweet goal

Comment

I am not sure how you are scoring, but these are two of my favorites, both from the same year. I leave it to others for more recent games.

12/4/68 RPI 4 - Cornell 3 (OT) (The game that saved RPI hockey according to an article in a later game program, as the admin were seriously considering downgrading the sport to ECAC D-II. RPI beat Cornell with Dryden when they never lost.)
                    1/14/69 RPI 7 - BU 0 (RPI only had one goalie, and he was suspended for "an incident". A center who had not played goalie since Pee Wee (IIRC) played goal. RPI's D essentially did not allow BU a clean shot on goal all game.)

I don't know of online boxscores, but I have score cards for both games.

Add the following.
                    3/5/74 1st round of the ECAC playoffs RPI (8th seed) 7 -- UNH (1st seed) 6 (OT) at Snively. There must be a box score somewhere. UNH has saved the wrong part http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUEHAUJsKDE.
                    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 11-11-2011, 04:46 AM.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

My memory isn't particularly clear on what year it took place (maybe 1983), but the second game of the Wisconsin vs. North Dakota two game total goal series in the WCHA playoffs. Wisconsin scored what seemed to be the game winning goal in OT, but it was called back for the stick having too much curvature. Wisconsin then won it for real with a shortie during the ensuing penalty.

Comment

Minnesota versus Brock Hall, 9-1, winning the AAU National Championship, and ending the 1939–40 season undefeated at 18-0. the Minnesota team had 2 All-Americans, John Mariucci and Harold Paulsen.
                        XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                        Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

HC-Minne
                          bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                          SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                          All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                          A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

2004 Denver - Maine final was a dull trying not to lose game - until the last 2:00. Then it was the greatest two minutes of college hockey.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                            X