• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• manurespreader
    replied
    Re: The Greatest Games ever played

Originally posted by skiumah2 View Post
    I really hate being that guy but it was 1974.
    I'm sure. I couldn't remember exactly so I went to the archives to look up the year and some had 73 some 74. It was a real long time ago but I still remember how up and down the game was and how intense for the whole time. I tried to find the box score but couldn't so maybe someone else who has better internet skills than I do can find it. Most places just give the brackets and the scores.

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    The best game I ever saw was the 1973 NCAA final between MTU and Minnesota. With Minnesota winning 4-2. Tech had come into the game as the regular season WCHA champ with a record of 29-9-3. They had a tough time with Harvard but won in OT, and lost in a terrific game to Minnesota at the Boston Garden. I remember the game was really up tempo for all 60 minutes and I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.Both teams were flying and it was a shame someone lost..I have never seen anything so exciting since. The Minnesota goalie won the MVP I believe and was put on the all tournament team. He was terrific. I believe Buzz Schneider was one of the UMTC players, and the coaches were Herb Brooks and John MacInnes.
    Those great Tech teams were big, fast, and physical. The beauty of witnessing games like that back then is that you usually had to be there to be there.

Leave a comment:

• skiumah2
    replied

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    The best game I ever saw was the 1973 NCAA final between MTU and Minnesota. With Minnesota winning 4-2. Tech had come into the game as the regular season WCHA champ with a record of 29-9-3. They had a tough time with Harvard but won in OT, and lost in a terrific game to Minnesota at the Boston Garden. I remember the game was really up tempo for all 60 minutes and I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.Both teams were flying and it was a shame someone lost..I have never seen anything so exciting since. The Minnesota goalie won the MVP I believe and was put on the all tournament team. He was terrific. I believe Buzz Schneider was one of the UMTC players, and the coaches were Herb Brooks and John MacInnes.
    I really hate being that guy but it was 1974.

Leave a comment:

• goldy_331
    replied

Originally posted by Runninwiththedogs View Post
    You are a crabby old man! And yes, I was. But Christ, do I have to put a **** smiley face on a post for it to be taken as a joke? MUST I STOOP TO SUCH LOWBROW TACTICS AS THE EMOTICON? Nay, I shall keep my standards high, and eschew the emoticon.

And I was so unbelievably drunk for the SCSU-UMTC 8-7 game. Oh, was I drunk. It was glorious.
    Do I have to stoop to using the to convey my intent? I mean, I use them, but didn't think it necessary here. What were you, three when that game was played?

Leave a comment:

• defkit
    replied

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
    One of my favorite games that never really gets mentioned was the 1999 NCAA quarterfinal game between UNH and Michigan won by UNH in Overtime 2-1. There were, at most 2 penalties the entire game (one on each team, maybe?), an extremely exciting, despite the low score, and very clean game between two great teams.

UNH defeating BU shorthanded in overtime in the 1998 quarterfinal in Albany is probably my single favorite game. Drury's last college game, BU a heavy favorite (despite losing to Merrimack in the Hockey East quarters), UNH barely squeaked into the tournament after a typical late season slide. They played WCHA champion (I think?) Wisconsin the day before and won 7-4 (after trailing 3-1 late in the 2nd), the ice was terrible and BU was well rested. The regulation was back and forth action and score, and Matile made an incredible save late in regulation off of, I think, Sylvia. UNH was without their best shorthanded player (Bekar) in OT because of injury and Krog was in the box when Souza and Mowers broke 2 on 1 and Mowers finished it off beating Laroque (or was it Tom Noble?) to get UNH to the Frozen Four for the first time in 16 or 17 years. Probably the most important goal in recent UNH history. Ahhhh the good ol' days.
    I moved away from the area so didn't get to see that game live. BU started 18-1 that year, if memory serves. As a BU fan, I think of that game as the beginning of the slide that saw us go from 1997 to 2009 with no FF's. The win over UNH that sent us to the FF in 2009, albeit a game UNH probably deserved to win, was an interesting reciprocation.

Leave a comment:

• bueller
    replied

UAH taking Notre Dame to double overtime in the 2007 NCAA tournament.

Leave a comment:

• WildShawn
    replied

One of my favorite games that never really gets mentioned was the 1999 NCAA quarterfinal game between UNH and Michigan won by UNH in Overtime 2-1. There were, at most 2 penalties the entire game (one on each team, maybe?), an extremely exciting, despite the low score, and very clean game between two great teams.

UNH defeating BU shorthanded in overtime in the 1998 quarterfinal in Albany is probably my single favorite game. Drury's last college game, BU a heavy favorite (despite losing to Merrimack in the Hockey East quarters), UNH barely squeaked into the tournament after a typical late season slide. They played WCHA champion (I think?) Wisconsin the day before and won 7-4 (after trailing 3-1 late in the 2nd), the ice was terrible and BU was well rested. The regulation was back and forth action and score, and Matile made an incredible save late in regulation off of, I think, Sylvia. UNH was without their best shorthanded player (Bekar) in OT because of injury and Krog was in the box when Souza and Mowers broke 2 on 1 and Mowers finished it off beating Laroque (or was it Tom Noble?) to get UNH to the Frozen Four for the first time in 16 or 17 years. Probably the most important goal in recent UNH history. Ahhhh the good ol' days.

Leave a comment:

• vizoroo
    replied

Originally posted by MacGyver_758 View Post
    http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey...nnesota-state/

December 20, 2003 - Denver @ Minnesota State. Denver went on to win the National Championship this year, but this was probably the craziest game I have ever seen in person. Minnesota State had the best talent they ever had with David Backes and Shane Joseph and it sure made one for the ages with scoring 7 unanswered and winning 8-7.
    After that game DU fans referred to your arena as The House of Horrors.

Leave a comment:

• mohawk1972
    replied

How about the 1970 ECAC final against Clarkson (3 -2) to keep the undefeated season rolling? Hughes gets the tying goal waved off late in the third and then scores the winner in the final seconds! The 4th line with Eddie Ambis got 'em rolling.

Leave a comment:

• mariucci
    replied

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Be interesting for fans to nominate games that did not include their favorite team. fwiw
    Defnately interesting.. but that would shorten the list considerably

Leave a comment:

• Zudnic
    replied

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Be interesting for fans to nominate games that did not include their favorite team. fwiw
    The HE final maybe 5 years ago where Maine beat Umass in OT was pretty awesome.

Leave a comment:

• bcarlisle
    replied

The 1968 ECAC Quarterfinal between St. Lawrence and BC won by BC in OT, 7-6 at Appleton. Tim Sheehy vs. Gary Croteau. A 5th grader's dream game (except for the outcome)

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Runninwiththedogs
    replied

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
    How the hell would you know? Had you even been born yet?
    You are a crabby old man! And yes, I was. But Christ, do I have to put a **** smiley face on a post for it to be taken as a joke? MUST I STOOP TO SUCH LOWBROW TACTICS AS THE EMOTICON? Nay, I shall keep my standards high, and eschew the emoticon.

And I was so unbelievably drunk for the SCSU-UMTC 8-7 game. Oh, was I drunk. It was glorious.

Leave a comment:

• manurespreader
    replied

Last edited by manurespreader; 11-11-2011, 06:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X