Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Greatest Games ever played

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    Were there so few regular season matchups considered classic games? Very very heavy with NCAA tournament games.
    shouldn't it be?

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
      probably don't have your sample size but without question, it was my best..................by far
      My best, but not "by far". The 2004 Regional Semifinal against Michigan in Manchester was amazing as well. OT game winner by a cramped up Ben Eaves straight off the bench. Fantastic.
      The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
      BC - 12
      BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
        Anybody mention the '1' game??

As in the 1 loss in Maine's 1 loss season (41-1-2).

BU beat them after being down something like 6-1.

The Terriers visited Alfond Arena for a two-game series on Feb. 19. The Black Bears took a 6-2 lead on Feb. 19 and appeared headed for an easy win that would clinch the regular season Hockey East title. But the Terriers scored four straight goals to send the game into overtime. In overtime, Mike Prendergast broke away with the puck at center ice and scored against Dunham to give the Black Bears a 7-6 loss.
        6-2. And the early goals in the comeback were fluky (one was scored when the puck hit a defenseman's skate and changed direction 90 degrees). It was actually Pomichter who stole the puck from Murphy, got a 2-0 and fed Prendergast for the OT winner. Pomichter was not supposed to be playing that game because he and Martin Mercier were suspended for the rematch for fighting in the Maine-BU game in November. However, both Walsh and Parker appealed and the suspension was lifted. Pomichter had three assists that night - Mercier zero.

I was going to mention the BC-PC game in '85 and the Maine-Michigan tilts in the 93 and 95 Frozen Fours but they've been mentioned. So I'll nominate the 1989 NCAA QuarterFinal, game 3 between Providence and Maine at Alfond Arena. Each team had won a game to force a deciding third game. In the third period, Providence was up 3-1 and had momentum. Then Bruce Major scored a goal from behind the net while on his ass to make it 3-2. With Providence trying to hang on, Maine stole the puck in the corner and sent a pass out to Scott Pellerin who broke in on net. A defenseman was going to cut him off so he fired a slapper at the top of the circle and the score was tied 3-3. A friend of mine was staying in a residence hall across the university parking lot and could hear the crowd explode from there. The rest of regulation and the first OT were tense. In the second OT the puck came to Martin Robitialle on the left side of the crease. If he had shot the rebound immediately, it would have been blocked by either the defenseman or goalie. He had the presence to gather the puck, go to his back hand and flip the puck at the net. Lyle Mongoose made a last-gasp effort with his glove but the puck went in and Robey started a "windmill celebration that took us all the way to St. Paul" as Walsh would later say.

That game and the 1995 3OT thriller against Michigan are the two greatest games I have seen. The 65-save performance by the octopus Terreri in the 85 Hockey East finals is 3rd.

Comment

Cold War
          Oct 6, 2001

#4 Michigan vs #1 Michigan State in Spartan Stadium
          Ended in a 3-3 tie.
          Freshman Jim Slater scored the game tying goal with around 45 seconds to go.
          Kicked off the modern outdoor game trend.
          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

1985 semi final RPI UMD back and forth until RPI scores the game winner in triple ot everyone felt that decided the national champion but RPI still had to beat Terreri in the final. Oates vs Hull later both had some success in the NHL
            There was an NCAA prelim game in Albany when Maine came back from down 5 in the third to beat Harvard. You had to be there to see Casey and North Dakota beat RPI in the 1984 first round. He was spectacular both games. My personal favorite is the 1974 ECAC quarter at UNH the number 1 seed vs #8RPI who won in OT. Record for 4 fastest goals in ECAC tourney by RPI still stands 1:20. UNH also scored three in 39 seconds. I forget the year late 70's but the nat championship game in Providence when BU beat BC Joe Mullen & co.

Comment

I don't think anyone's mentioned the '03 MN-Michigan semifinal yet, so I'll throw that one out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
                I don't think anyone's mentioned the '03 MN-Michigan semifinal yet, so I'll throw that one out there.
                That was an amazing game. Paul Martin with the save of the game, Vanek winning it in OT.
                the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                  Admitting my DU bias, but here goes:
                  March 15, 1969 , Denver 4 Cornell 3 NCAA Finals Keith Magnuson's Pioneers vs Ken Dryden's Big Red
                  Admitting my Cornell bias, and despite the fact that Cornell lost the game, this has to rank right at the top. Cornell had four first-team All-Americans playing, including the greatest college goalie ever. Denver had six players who went on to meaningful NHL careers, in an era when few did. Two outstanding teams battled evenly to the closing buzzer, at altitude in Colorado Springs, and only one could win. Shame that only the few that could crowd into the Broadmoor World Arena were able to see it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...16/1/index.htm
                  Last edited by AlDeFlorio; 11-13-2011, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cross Check View Post
                    Seconded. Perhaps the greatest game I've ever watched in person.
                    I was at the BC/Minny game the day before, but woke up Sunday morning SO SICK that I could barely crawl out of bed. I missed the BC/Miami game live but saw it on the tube. I was miraculously cured immediately following that game.

Best game live for me... 2001 BC vs North Dakota for the national title. Unbelievable game. I wept while the team celebrated.
                    'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

• Re: The Greatest Games ever played

FS23, I nominate...

2000 NoDak/Boston College Championship Game, Providence, RI. Dominating third period by UND and a heartbreaker for a BC fan, but a great game.

2001 NoDak/Boston College Championship Game, Albany, NY. BC gets sweet revenge, but not until they overcome some more UND 3rd period heroics and finally win it in OT.

2009 Miami/Boston University Championship Game, Washington D.C. I'll second this nomination. Gotta admit, those lucky bahstads at BU pulled a rabbit out of their hat in one of the greatest games I have ever seen. That truly was an unbelievable finish.
                      'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                        I was at the BC/Minny game the day before, but woke up Sunday morning SO SICK that I could barely crawl out of bed. I missed the BC/Miami game live but saw it on the tube. I was miraculously cured immediately following that game.

Best game live for me... 2001 BC vs North Dakota for the national title. Unbelievable game. I wept while the team celebrated.
                        I was at that game too - one of the greatest games I've ever seen! ( although my #1 is Maine vs Michigan in the national semi-final in 1995) That move by Dean Blais, pulling the goalie with about 3:30 left to get a 2-man advantage was pretty ballsy, but it worked! And Kolanos' goal for the game-winner was a thing of beauty!

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                          That was an amazing game. Paul Martin with the save of the game, Vanek winning it in OT.
                          As a UNH fan I was hoping Michigan would hold on in this one as I thought they had a shot to beat Michigan, but knew Minnesota would roll in the final

Comment

Originally posted by gounhwildcats View Post
                            Sorry to go with my team for this category, but the UNH-Maine game last year that Paul Thompson won on a goal with 15 seconds left in regulation was an absolute classic. Game went back and forth all night and Maine should have won it, but Nyquist hit the post after DiGiralomo tried to come out and beat him to the puck. Not sure I've seen a better regular season game than that, and I was at the Whitt that night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuXfvEJNhmc
                            I'll say, I've never seen a luckier stretch (30 seconds or so) of hockey. You get one of, if not the most talented players in the league with a wide open net, blows an edge and hits the post on a wide open net, then as Maine is trying to clear the puck, a skater gets tripped up by the blue line, then Thompson's goal banks in off of Sirman from behind the goal line. Wicked exciting finish.

Comment

Working...
                            X