Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Greatest Games ever played

Originally posted by Jon View Post
    Nobody nominated the 1985 HE Championship game? really?

Even if you forgot that PC has a program (which is entirely reasonable given the past decade) you're all bailing on a game that BC lost in double OT?
    Two also-rans who left the ECAC so they wouldn't have to play RPI that year.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      Two also-rans who left the ECAC so they wouldn't have to play RPI that year.
      In our defense, that team was stacked. Even if OFFSIDES didn't happen, PC still wasn't winning a NT. Sigh...

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
      -Blackadder
      "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
      -Casablanca
      "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
      -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Even if you forgot that PC has a program (which is entirely reasonable given the past decade) you're all bailing on a game that BC lost in double OT?
        In a strange way that PC team and the RPI team of the same era were my introduction to college hockey. Growing up in Edmonton the only hockey I cared about was the NHL, but I remember my friends and I being fascinated by the constant double and triple OT's during the NCAA's in those years. Of course we didn't realize that an OT period in those days was 10 minutes. It was recollecting those years that would get me interested in college hockey years later. So I actually owe PC and RPI a debt of gratitude for getting me into this in the first place.
        Let's go Cats!!!

Philadelphia Phillies Well there's always next year

2007 ECAC East-NESCAC LPS Champ!!
        2009 ECACHL Pick 'em champ!!

"All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible." [Noah Webster. History. p. 339]

Comment

Although it was the quintessential kick below the belt the Beanpot Final last year between NU and bc was pretty amazing. Surprising none of the old Beanpot games have been mentioned.

Comment

In our defense, that team was stacked. Even if OFFSIDES didn't happen, PC still wasn't winning a NT. Sigh...
            That RPI team averaged almost as many goals as RPI has scored in 10 games so far.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Lake State, a few years before their first NCAA title in 1988, played at Univ-Il at Chicago. Lakers fell behind 6-0 by early in the 2nd period and Coach Frank Anzalone started pulling his goalie at every opportunity, starting early in the 2nd period! UIC scored at least one empty netter and I believe the Lakers won 7-6 or 8-7 in OT.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                I'll keep this open for some time. It will take me a few months to gather the data I will need to plug teams into the formula. I am hoping to have the list ready to go by Tournament Time this year. If not, then I will probably release it over the summer. Also, it may very well be released over at College Hockey Weekly, assuming they are still operating at that time.

Anyway, here is the list I have so far. Please keep nominating games, as I would like to have somewhere around 100 or so to plug numbers in for (but I am not opposed to doing a whole lot more if it is reasonable).

1968 ECAC QF: BC v. St. Lawrence
                1969 NCAA Championship: DU v. Cornell
                1970 ECAC Championship: Cornell v. Clarkson
                1970 National Championshp: Cornell v. Clarkson
                1974 National Championship: MTU v. Minnesota
                1976 Regular Season: Cornell v. SLU
                1976 WCHA Tourn.: Minnesota v. Michigan State
                1977 ECAC Semifinal: Cornell v.
                1979 ECAC Qfinal: Cornell v.
                1979 National Championship: North Dakota v. Minnesota
                1983 RS: Notre Dame v. Western Michigan
                1984 National Championship: Bowling Green v. Duluth
                1986 ECAC Semifinal: Cornell v. Yale
                1986 Regular Season: Duluth v. North Dakota
                1988 National Championship: LSSU v. St. Lawrence
                1989 National Championshp: Minnesota v. Harvard
                1991 National Championship: NMU v. BU
                1993 National Championship: Maine v. LSSU
                1993 National Semifinal: Maine v. Michigan
                1995 National Semifinal: Maine v. Michigan
                1997 WCHA FF Title: North Dakota v. Minnesota
                1998 National Championship: BC v. Michigan
                1998 Regional Final: UNH v. BU
                1998 WCHA 1st Round: Duluth v. Minnesota
                1999 Regional Final: UNH v. Michigan
                2000 HE Title: Maine v. BC
                2000 Regional Final: St. Lawrence v. BU
                2002 National Championship: Maine v. Minnesota
                2003 ECAC Championship
                2003 Regional Final: BC v. Cornell
                2003 RS: Denver v. Mankato
                2003 RS: Michigan Tech v. Northern Michigan
                2004 National Championship: Maine v. Denver
                2004 National Semifinal: DU v. Duluth
                2004 Regional Final: North Dakota v. Denver
                2004 WCHA FF Title: North Dakota v. Minnesota
                2006 Regional final: Wisconsin v. Cornell
                2006 WCHA FF Semi: SCSU v. Minnesota
                2007 Regional Final: North Dakota v. Minnesota
                2007 Regional Semifinal: Notre Dame v. UAH
                2007 WCHA FF Title: North Dakota v. Minnesota
                2008 Regional Final: Miami v. BC
                2009 National Championshp: BU v. Miami
                2009 Regional Semifinal: Duluth v. Princeton
                2009 Regional Semifinal: UNH v. North Dakota
                2011 National Championship: Duluth v. Michigan
                2011 WCHA FF Title: North Dakota v. Denver
                1979 ECAC quarterfinal was Cornell v. Providence just in case you couldn't figure it out
                Love that there's a highlight reel of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tj9qagrJ5A

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                  BC vs Miami, March 30, 2008, Northeast Regional final at Worcester, MA
                  Box Score

Down 2-0 with 3:12 to go in the 2nd period, Boston College scores 3 goals in 1:58 to take a 3-2 lead into the locker room. Miami ties the game at the 9:02 mark of the 3rd, but BC wins it on Joe Whitney's hilite reel goal in OT.

Boston College advanced to the Frozen Four, dismantling North Dakota (6-1) and Notre Dame (4-1) for the 2008 National Championship.
                  Seconded. Perhaps the greatest game I've ever watched in person.
                  The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
                  BC - 12
                  BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

Were there so few regular season matchups considered classic games? Very very heavy with NCAA tournament games.
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by satyking View Post
                      1993 Maine vs Michigan NCAA semis Game lasted 4+ hours
                      That was actually 1995 not 1993. I remember watching it live my freshman year of college. Incredibly exciting game, through three overtimes there was multiple huge scoring opportunities and the goalies just stood on their heads over and over again. To me, this game would have to be way up on any list.
                      The ORIGINAL Cross Check

BC - 12
                      BU - 2

Comment

Originally posted by MeridianStreet View Post
                        Lake State, a few years before their first NCAA title in 1988, played at Univ-Il at Chicago. Lakers fell behind 6-0 by early in the 2nd period and Coach Frank Anzalone started pulling his goalie at every opportunity, starting early in the 2nd period! UIC scored at least one empty netter and I believe the Lakers won 7-6 or 8-7 in OT.
                        I'll second the nomination. And found details. No box score, but straight from the CCHA:

December 15, 1984
                        Lake Superior State goaltender Randy Exelby is pulled seven times in one game, six times in the third period, for an extra skater. The move pays off as the Lakers score three times with the extra attacker in a come-from-behind 7-6 win in overtime against Illinois-Chicago.
                        http://www.ccha.com/the_ccha/moments_in_ccha_history.aspx
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Anybody mention the '1' game??

As in the 1 loss in Maine's 1 loss season (41-1-2).

BU beat them after being down something like 6-1.

The Terriers visited Alfond Arena for a two-game series on Feb. 19. The Black Bears took a 6-2 lead on Feb. 19 and appeared headed for an easy win that would clinch the regular season Hockey East title. But the Terriers scored four straight goals to send the game into overtime. In overtime, Mike Prendergast broke away with the puck at center ice and scored against Dunham to give the Black Bears a 7-6 loss.
                          Last edited by pirate; 11-12-2011, 04:02 PM.
                          I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

A/K/A the "Chris Terreri game" ? As a BC fan I'd like to forget that one. You're right though. Heckuva game and as good a goaltending performance as there has ever been.
                            The ORIGINAL Cross Check

BC - 12
                            BU - 2

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                              Were there so few regular season matchups considered classic games? Very very heavy with NCAA tournament games.
                              Sorry to go with my team for this category, but the UNH-Maine game last year that Paul Thompson won on a goal with 15 seconds left in regulation was an absolute classic. Game went back and forth all night and Maine should have won it, but Nyquist hit the post after DiGiralomo tried to come out and beat him to the puck. Not sure I've seen a better regular season game than that, and I was at the Whitt that night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuXfvEJNhmc
                              Let's go Cats!!!

Philadelphia Phillies Well there's always next year

2007 ECAC East-NESCAC LPS Champ!!
                              2009 ECACHL Pick 'em champ!!

"All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible." [Noah Webster. History. p. 339]

Comment

Originally posted by Cross Check View Post
                                Seconded. Perhaps the greatest game I've ever watched in person.
                                probably don't have your sample size but without question, it was my best..................by far

Comment

Working...
                                X