Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Greatest Games ever played

Originally posted by slowfoot View Post
    I only heard about this game, and it may not be among the greatest, but certainly one of the most unusual. Lake State vs.NMU(I think). Halfway through, Lake State is down 6-0. Don Jackson starts pulling his goalie on every faceoff on the other half of the ice, and ends up winning 7-6.
    First off, who the hell is Don Jackson?

Second, some of the older Lake State fans can correct this, but it was Frank Anzalone who did this (and was affectionately referred to as "Crazy Frank" by some opposing fans) during his first stint with LSSU (1982-1990). From how I remember it (the thread that it was originally discussed has since been deleted), Frank started pulling the goalie during the second period after going down 5-0, and wound up chipping back to tie the game and then lose the game 7-6 or 8-7.

And none of the LSSU fans said it happened against NMU.

How have the MTU fans not said that October 18th, 2003 was the greatest game ever?
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

This may be more along biggest upsets, but certainly a great game was RIT 3, St Lawrence 2 in RIT's first year of DI. St. Lawrence dominated territorially, but RIT goalie Jocelyn Guimond made an NCAA record 66 saves. RIT scored the only even strength goal in the win. I have that game on DVD - quite amazing to think that an RIT squad of mostly DIII players could upset then #18 St. Lawrence.
      2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
      2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
      2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
      2010 Frozen Four participant
      2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

1998 OT title game between Michigan and BC in the Fleet Center though i'd prefer to not remember it

Comment

Maine vs LSSU was a thriller... No one ever thought you could come back in 3rd down by 2 against that D core. Monty and PK had something to say about that, on top of Walsh's brilliant coaching/goalie change

Comment

Also the 2003 ECAC finals and the Cornell-BC regional final.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Maine's Dimitrakos going 5 hole on BC's mr. five hole himself in the waning seconds, Scott Clemmensieve, to win the 2000 HE championship 2-1. And the ensuing whiining was un-bear-able.
              sure why not

Comment

Admitting my DU bias, but here goes:
                March 15, 1969 , Denver 4 Cornell 3 NCAA Finals Keith Magnuson's Pioneers vs Ken Dryden's Big Red
                March 27, 2004 , Denver 1 North Dakota 0 West Regional - Quarterfinals Described by INCH"s Mike Eidelbes as the best college hockey game .
                April 8, 2004 , Denver 5- Minnesota Duluth 3 Frozen Four - Semifinals
                http://proicehockey.about.com/cs/col...frozenfour.htm

April 2006 Wisconsin 1 Cornell 0 3 OT Nailbiter all the way

Most exciting 2 minutes
                April 10, 2004 Frozen Four Finals Denver 1 Maine 0
                Most exciting 2 minutes that seemed to last 2 hours for DU fans with 6 skaters for Maine and 3 for DU.

** DU did not play in the Final Five. Second leading scorer, Connor James, broke his leg 3/4/04 against CC. He returned for the Frozen Four. Coach Gwozdecky suspended (violating team rules) Luka Dora, who scored the GWG against Duluth, for the finals.**
                GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                  Seems difficult to define in a formula what makes a game great, since there are so many influences.

- Game Implications: Did the game mean something? Was a win required for the team to make the playoffs? Was it a tournament game? Was it for the National Title?

- Non-Game Cultural Implications: The US beating Russia (1980 Olympics) was great for more than just beating a seemingly unbeatable team. This was also an unstable time between the two countries politically.

- Non-Game Sports Implications: Not directly related to that particular game, but still something that was being played for. The Gophers finally winning a National Title after 20+ years for example, or like the Red Sox winning the World Series after 86 years. The games outcome meant more in a sense then the individual game ever could.

- Game Quality: Was it a great game because the two teams played well? Did a goalie stand on his head, or one of the players record a hat trick? Or was it simply great based on how long the game went (5 OT)? Maybe it was a last second goal that changed the game.

- Rivalry: Rivalry games certainly mean more to the players. They always have a chance to be great games, because everyone is giving their top effort. Rivalry games, even when not good games, tend to stick in peoples minds.

I am sure there are many more factors you could list. I'm not sure how you can cram these things into a formula.
                  Obviously, it is very difficult to come up with a formula as there are so many things that make the game great. Like I said, I haven't plugged any games into it yet, so I am still open to tweaks to it if they are reasonable and convince me that they should be included.

On a basic level it includes...

1) The Quality of the two teams playing: Fortunately I already have a formula for this, so I will plug the two sides into the formula and get their point values.
                  2) The Importance of the game: Obviously, a National title game should hold significantly more weight than a regular season game, but that doesn't mean that a regular season game cannot be great.
                  3) Intangibles: This includes, but is not necessarily limited to hat tricks, shutouts, great comebacks, length of the game, and how long the game stayed close.

As many of you know, I try to cram as much as makes sense into my formulas to try and get accurate results. Obviously, at this point, I am just looking for some recommendations so I have a solid list when I start plugging in numbers. I have not included rivalry games, although I suppose that could make its way into the formula. My biggest issue with that is what is a rivalry and what is not? Do we just include the obvious ones? For example, is BC-UND a rivalry? If so, what about a BC-UND game from back in the 60s? What about Michigan-Maine from the early-90s? To me, this becomes very subjective. I'm open to suggestion though...
                  North Dakota
                  National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

FS23,

This is going to be real hard to quantify.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

FS, as much as it kills me, I'd like to add this game to the list:

Northern Michigan at Michigan Tech. October 18th, 2003.

http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey...michigan-tech/

Michigan Tech went up 3-1 on NMU just five minutes into the second period, until late in the second when NMU got on a roll and scored five goals (6-3) to put the game out of reach with just over five minutes to go in the third.

Well, that's what NMU thought. Michigan Tech scored a "doesn't matter" goal on the Power Play with just over two minutes to go in the game to make it 6-4 NMU. Then Colin Murphy scores his second of the game with a minute thirty to go in the game to make it interesting (6-5 NMU).

Tech pulls Ellsworth for the extra attacker in the final minute of the game. With just thirty seconds remaining in what looked like an easy NMU victory just four minutes earlier... MTU's Colin Murphy scores a hat-trick to tie the game.

Followed up by his fourth goal of the game, and the winner with two minutes to go in OT.

And I'm pretty sure this was "The Game" that got most, if not all of the "old" misfits addicted to the Huskies. It's a shame that it wasn't televised, as I doubt there is a tape of that game anywhere anymore.
                      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                        1) The Quality of the two teams playing: Fortunately I already have a formula for this, so I will plug the two sides into the formula and get their point values.
                        I don't understand what the teams quality has to do with the quality of the individual game in question. I don't see why teams need an arbitrary boost in points based on perceived quality (records, ranks, etc).

Sacred Heart vs Robert Morris could be the greatest game ever played. But they would somehow be devalued for their records in that season?
                        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

I don't understand what the teams quality has to do with the quality of the individual game in question. I don't see why teams need an arbitrary boost in points based on perceived quality (records, ranks, etc).

Sacred Heart vs Robert Morris could be the greatest game ever played. But they would somehow be devalued for their records in that season?
                          It will probably be devalued because no one is likely to nominate games between those two schools.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                            FS, as much as it kills me, I'd like to add this game to the list:

Northern Michigan at Michigan Tech. October 18th, 2003.

http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey...michigan-tech/

Michigan Tech went up 3-1 on NMU just five minutes into the second period, until late in the second when NMU got on a roll and scored five goals (6-3) to put the game out of reach with just over five minutes to go in the third.

Well, that's what NMU thought. Michigan Tech scored a "doesn't matter" goal on the Power Play with just over two minutes to go in the game to make it 6-4 NMU. Then Colin Murphy scores his second of the game with a minute thirty to go in the game to make it interesting (6-5 NMU).

Tech pulls Ellsworth for the extra attacker in the final minute of the game. With just thirty seconds remaining in what looked like an easy NMU victory just four minutes earlier... MTU's Colin Murphy scores a hat-trick to tie the game.

Followed up by his fourth goal of the game, and the winner with two minutes to go in OT.

And I'm pretty sure this was "The Game" that got most, if not all of the "old" misfits addicted to the Huskies. It's a shame that it wasn't televised, as I doubt there is a tape of that game anywhere anymore.
                            Damm that game. I spent so much time and money following a ****ty hockey team because that game hooked me.
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Here's one, although it doesn't have many far reaching implications (not a playoff, not between two teams with much history or a rivalry to speak of, likely unknown nor remembered by those who weren't there):

Notre Dame VS Western Michigan @ Lawson, January 28th, 1983. Long time ND fans remember this game as the one that followed the announcement that Notre Dame was dropping the team all the way to club status.

Western skated to a 3-0 lead in the first 7 minutes of the game. Later they led 4-1, 5-2, and 7-4. With fewer than 5 minutes to play, and still trailing 7-4, Notre Dame takes a penalty. With Notre Dame short-handed, Rex Bellomy scores at the 16:11 mark to make it 7-5. At 17:37 of the 3rd, another Irish goal makes it 7-6. And with just over a minute to play, Irish All-American Kirt Bjork caps off a 3 goal night, scoring Notre Dame's 7th, sending the game to an unlikely overtime. Overtime rules then had a regular 15 minute intermission followed by a 10 minute sudden death session. Not seeing any blunting of their momentum, John Deasey scored for Notre Dame 1:44 into the OT for an improbable 8-7 Notre Dame win.

John Fineran, the hockey beat writer for the South Bend Tribune at the time had a memorable opening to his game article the next morning:
                              Notre Dame played taps for its hockey program Thursday afternoon and Western Michigan played taps for the Irish three times Friday night.

Friday's renditions were premature.
                              Last edited by WeAreNDHockey; 11-11-2011, 01:53 PM.

Comment

It was my thoughts that the greatest games would naturally feature the greatest teams, players and arguably coaches. I guess it comes down to how each person perceives "greatness" in relation to a game. The formula will reflect my perception of greatness. All things being equal, two very good teams (with great players and the like) playing against each other would naturally produce better hockey than two very bad teams (with arguably not as good of players) playing against each other. That was my rationale for looking at that particular piece of the formula. Obviously, I'm open to removing it from the formula, but it would take a very convincing argument. At the end of the day, I could always give both calculations for those that are extremely opposed to it being included.
                                North Dakota
                                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X