X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy
    replied
    Re: The Greatest Games ever played

Minnesota versus Brock Hall, 9-1, winning the AAU National Championship, and ending the 1939–40 season undefeated at 18-0. the Minnesota team had 2 All-Americans, John Mariucci and Harold Paulsen.

Leave a comment:

• Badger Abroad
    replied

My memory isn't particularly clear on what year it took place (maybe 1983), but the second game of the Wisconsin vs. North Dakota two game total goal series in the WCHA playoffs. Wisconsin scored what seemed to be the game winning goal in OT, but it was called back for the stick having too much curvature. Wisconsin then won it for real with a shortie during the ensuing penalty.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

I am not sure how you are scoring, but these are two of my favorites, both from the same year. I leave it to others for more recent games.

12/4/68 RPI 4 - Cornell 3 (OT) (The game that saved RPI hockey according to an article in a later game program, as the admin were seriously considering downgrading the sport to ECAC D-II. RPI beat Cornell with Dryden when they never lost.)
    1/14/69 RPI 7 - BU 0 (RPI only had one goalie, and he was suspended for "an incident". A center who had not played goalie since Pee Wee (IIRC) played goal. RPI's D essentially did not allow BU a clean shot on goal all game.)

I don't know of online boxscores, but I have score cards for both games.

Add the following.
    3/5/74 1st round of the ECAC playoffs RPI (8th seed) 7 -- UNH (1st seed) 6 (OT) at Snively. There must be a box score somewhere. UNH has saved the wrong part http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUEHAUJsKDE.
    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 11-11-2011, 04:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied

Really, that 2006 title game? I know BC almost tied it, but UW "dominated" that game as much as possible in a 2-1 final.

I'd have to include the 2001 national title game...BC over UND in OT on a sweet goal

Leave a comment:

• solovsfett
    replied

UW vs. Cornell 2006 1-0 3OT
    UW vs. BC 2006

UW vs. Nodak (1999?) twin OT games both won by UW w/David Hukalo netting the winner each night

BU vs. Mich 1997 - BU upsets

pretty much any Mn vs nodak game of the last decade, jesus there's been some great hockey there

Leave a comment:

• state of hockey
    replied

1989 Harvard v. Minnesota.

Unbelievably heartbreaking, but that was an awesome game. Friggin' Skarda.
    Last edited by state of hockey; 11-10-2011, 11:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gounhwildcats
    replied

One of the greatest I remember seeing was the UNH game against North Dakota in the opening round of the NCAA's in 2009. UNH scored the tying goal with a tenth of a second on the clock and won it in OT. Just a phenomenal game by both teams, and neither deserved to lose.

Leave a comment:

• LynahFan
    replied

Some interesting ones for Cornell:

Mar 21, 1970 (NCAA Final): Defenseman scores natural hat trick to break game open and win 6-4, capping off perfect season.
    Feb 3, 1976 (ECAC RS): Cornell scores last 5 goals to beat SLU 9-7.
    Mar 11, 1977 (ECAC semifinal): 18 regulation goals, but makes it to 2OT.
    Mar 6, 1979 (ECAC quarterfinal): Cornell scores last 5 goals to beat Providence 6-5 in OT.
    Mar 14, 1986 (ECAC semifinal): Doug Dadswell makes 57 saves on 59 shots to beat Yale in 2OT, 3-2. Cornell outshot 59-33.
    Mar 26, 2006 (NCAA quarterfinal): Just to see if your formula appreciates a defensive struggle, Wisconsin over Cornell 1-0 in 3OT.

Leave a comment:

• klbaum1077
    replied

Maine V Michigan semi-final in 93 was a great game
    Bowling Green and Duluth National championship game in 84

Leave a comment:

• Greyeagle
    replied

I was at a North Dakota at UMD game in '86 where UND came back from 4 or so down with five minutes left in the third to tie the game and later win in OT.

The UMD - Princeton regional in 2009 was a hell of a game.

There was not a national title game in 1989.

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
    I'm not sure how it might rank in this formula... but it must be up there with one of the greatest comebacks.

2009 National Championship: Boston University vs Miami
    Agreed. That was an awesome game. It will definitely be included.

Leave a comment:

• ericredaxe
    replied

I'm not sure how it might rank in this formula... but it must be up there with one of the greatest comebacks.

2009 National Championship: Boston University vs Miami

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    started a topic The Greatest Games ever played

The Greatest Games ever played

As most of you know I love formulas to rank certain things, and I have built one to determine how great a game was. At this point, I am asking the board for nominations for the greatest games of all-time. If you have the box score (or a link to the box score) that would be great, especially for older games. Obviously, pretty much anything from the past 10-12 years is on here, so no need to post box scores for recent games (unless you want to). I thought I would throw out some of my favorites, and please note that only the formula is done at this point in time. I have not plugged games into it. Anyway, here are some of my favorite games of all time...

2004 Regional Final: North Dakota v. Denver
    2004 WCHA Final Five Championship: North Dakota v. Minnesota
    2007 WCHA Final Five Championship: North Dakota v. Minnesota
    2007 Regional Final: North Dakota v. Minnesota
    2011 National Championship: Minnesota Duluth v. Michigan
    1991 National Championship: Northern Michigan v. Boston University
    1993 National Championship: Maine v. LSSU
    2002 National Championship: Maine v. Minnesota
    2004 National Championship: Denver v. Maine

These are just a few of my favorites. Comments and questions are always appreciated, and please post games that you think should be included in the Greatest Games ever played.
Working...
X