The Greatest Games ever played

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Greatest Games ever played

Be interesting for fans to nominate games that did not include their favorite team. fwiw

Comment

The 1968 ECAC Quarterfinal between St. Lawrence and BC won by BC in OT, 7-6 at Appleton. Tim Sheehy vs. Gary Croteau. A 5th grader's dream game (except for the outcome)
      St. Lawrence University
      World Class Old Time Hockey. Since 1927.

2 NCAA Championship Games >>> 6 Time ECAC Champions >>> 9 NCAA Frozen Fours >>> 16 NCAA Appearances >>> 1,000+ All-time Wins

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        Be interesting for fans to nominate games that did not include their favorite team. fwiw
        The HE final maybe 5 years ago where Maine beat Umass in OT was pretty awesome.
        Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          Defnately interesting.. but that would shorten the list considerably

Comment

How about the 1970 ECAC final against Clarkson (3 -2) to keep the undefeated season rolling? Hughes gets the tying goal waved off late in the third and then scores the winner in the final seconds! The 4th line with Eddie Ambis got 'em rolling.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver_758 View Post
              http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey...nnesota-state/

December 20, 2003 - Denver @ Minnesota State. Denver went on to win the National Championship this year, but this was probably the craziest game I have ever seen in person. Minnesota State had the best talent they ever had with David Backes and Shane Joseph and it sure made one for the ages with scoring 7 unanswered and winning 8-7.
              After that game DU fans referred to your arena as The House of Horrors.
              GO DU !!!

Comment

One of my favorite games that never really gets mentioned was the 1999 NCAA quarterfinal game between UNH and Michigan won by UNH in Overtime 2-1. There were, at most 2 penalties the entire game (one on each team, maybe?), an extremely exciting, despite the low score, and very clean game between two great teams.

UNH defeating BU shorthanded in overtime in the 1998 quarterfinal in Albany is probably my single favorite game. Drury's last college game, BU a heavy favorite (despite losing to Merrimack in the Hockey East quarters), UNH barely squeaked into the tournament after a typical late season slide. They played WCHA champion (I think?) Wisconsin the day before and won 7-4 (after trailing 3-1 late in the 2nd), the ice was terrible and BU was well rested. The regulation was back and forth action and score, and Matile made an incredible save late in regulation off of, I think, Sylvia. UNH was without their best shorthanded player (Bekar) in OT because of injury and Krog was in the box when Souza and Mowers broke 2 on 1 and Mowers finished it off beating Laroque (or was it Tom Noble?) to get UNH to the Frozen Four for the first time in 16 or 17 years. Probably the most important goal in recent UNH history. Ahhhh the good ol' days.

Comment

UAH taking Notre Dame to double overtime in the 2007 NCAA tournament.
                  This space for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
                    One of my favorite games that never really gets mentioned was the 1999 NCAA quarterfinal game between UNH and Michigan won by UNH in Overtime 2-1. There were, at most 2 penalties the entire game (one on each team, maybe?), an extremely exciting, despite the low score, and very clean game between two great teams.

UNH defeating BU shorthanded in overtime in the 1998 quarterfinal in Albany is probably my single favorite game. Drury's last college game, BU a heavy favorite (despite losing to Merrimack in the Hockey East quarters), UNH barely squeaked into the tournament after a typical late season slide. They played WCHA champion (I think?) Wisconsin the day before and won 7-4 (after trailing 3-1 late in the 2nd), the ice was terrible and BU was well rested. The regulation was back and forth action and score, and Matile made an incredible save late in regulation off of, I think, Sylvia. UNH was without their best shorthanded player (Bekar) in OT because of injury and Krog was in the box when Souza and Mowers broke 2 on 1 and Mowers finished it off beating Laroque (or was it Tom Noble?) to get UNH to the Frozen Four for the first time in 16 or 17 years. Probably the most important goal in recent UNH history. Ahhhh the good ol' days.
                    I moved away from the area so didn't get to see that game live. BU started 18-1 that year, if memory serves. As a BU fan, I think of that game as the beginning of the slide that saw us go from 1997 to 2009 with no FF's. The win over UNH that sent us to the FF in 2009, albeit a game UNH probably deserved to win, was an interesting reciprocation.
                    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by Runninwiththedogs View Post
                      You are a crabby old man! And yes, I was. But Christ, do I have to put a **** smiley face on a post for it to be taken as a joke? MUST I STOOP TO SUCH LOWBROW TACTICS AS THE EMOTICON? Nay, I shall keep my standards high, and eschew the emoticon.

And I was so unbelievably drunk for the SCSU-UMTC 8-7 game. Oh, was I drunk. It was glorious.
                      Do I have to stoop to using the to convey my intent? I mean, I use them, but didn't think it necessary here. What were you, three when that game was played?

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                        The best game I ever saw was the 1973 NCAA final between MTU and Minnesota. With Minnesota winning 4-2. Tech had come into the game as the regular season WCHA champ with a record of 29-9-3. They had a tough time with Harvard but won in OT, and lost in a terrific game to Minnesota at the Boston Garden. I remember the game was really up tempo for all 60 minutes and I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.Both teams were flying and it was a shame someone lost..I have never seen anything so exciting since. The Minnesota goalie won the MVP I believe and was put on the all tournament team. He was terrific. I believe Buzz Schneider was one of the UMTC players, and the coaches were Herb Brooks and John MacInnes.
                        I really hate being that guy but it was 1974.
                        Originally posted by Skeeterman
                        Ski yo momma!
                        Originally Asked by Grant Potulny (After noticing an autograph seeker was wearing SCSU colors.)
                        Who do you cheer for in the post season?

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                          The best game I ever saw was the 1973 NCAA final between MTU and Minnesota. With Minnesota winning 4-2. Tech had come into the game as the regular season WCHA champ with a record of 29-9-3. They had a tough time with Harvard but won in OT, and lost in a terrific game to Minnesota at the Boston Garden. I remember the game was really up tempo for all 60 minutes and I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.Both teams were flying and it was a shame someone lost..I have never seen anything so exciting since. The Minnesota goalie won the MVP I believe and was put on the all tournament team. He was terrific. I believe Buzz Schneider was one of the UMTC players, and the coaches were Herb Brooks and John MacInnes.
                          Those great Tech teams were big, fast, and physical. The beauty of witnessing games like that back then is that you usually had to be there to be there.

Comment

Originally posted by skiumah2 View Post
                            I really hate being that guy but it was 1974.
                            I'm sure. I couldn't remember exactly so I went to the archives to look up the year and some had 73 some 74. It was a real long time ago but I still remember how up and down the game was and how intense for the whole time. I tried to find the box score but couldn't so maybe someone else who has better internet skills than I do can find it. Most places just give the brackets and the scores.
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                              old pio has been banned (for comments on the Penn State tread in the Cafe), I hope this thread doesn't close before he can return and bring some memories that others may not have.
                              I'll keep this open for some time. It will take me a few months to gather the data I will need to plug teams into the formula. I am hoping to have the list ready to go by Tournament Time this year. If not, then I will probably release it over the summer. Also, it may very well be released over at College Hockey Weekly, assuming they are still operating at that time.

Anyway, here is the list I have so far. Please keep nominating games, as I would like to have somewhere around 100 or so to plug numbers in for (but I am not opposed to doing a whole lot more if it is reasonable).

1968 ECAC QF: BC v. St. Lawrence
                              1969 NCAA Championship: DU v. Cornell
                              1970 ECAC Championship: Cornell v. Clarkson
                              1970 National Championshp: Cornell v. Clarkson
                              1974 National Championship: MTU v. Minnesota
                              1976 Regular Season: Cornell v. SLU
                              1976 WCHA Tourn.: Minnesota v. Michigan State
                              1977 ECAC Semifinal: Cornell v.
                              1979 ECAC Qfinal: Cornell v.
                              1979 National Championship: North Dakota v. Minnesota
                              1983 RS: Notre Dame v. Western Michigan
                              1984 National Championship: Bowling Green v. Duluth
                              1986 ECAC Semifinal: Cornell v. Yale
                              1986 Regular Season: Duluth v. North Dakota
                              1988 National Championship: LSSU v. St. Lawrence
                              1989 National Championshp: Minnesota v. Harvard
                              1991 National Championship: NMU v. BU
                              1993 National Championship: Maine v. LSSU
                              1993 National Semifinal: Maine v. Michigan
                              1995 National Semifinal: Maine v. Michigan
                              1997 WCHA FF Title: North Dakota v. Minnesota
                              1998 National Championship: BC v. Michigan
                              1998 Regional Final: UNH v. BU
                              1998 WCHA 1st Round: Duluth v. Minnesota
                              1999 Regional Final: UNH v. Michigan
                              2000 HE Title: Maine v. BC
                              2000 Regional Final: St. Lawrence v. BU
                              2002 National Championship: Maine v. Minnesota
                              2003 ECAC Championship
                              2003 Regional Final: BC v. Cornell
                              2003 RS: Denver v. Mankato
                              2003 RS: Michigan Tech v. Northern Michigan
                              2004 National Championship: Maine v. Denver
                              2004 National Semifinal: DU v. Duluth
                              2004 Regional Final: North Dakota v. Denver
                              2004 WCHA FF Title: North Dakota v. Minnesota
                              2006 Regional final: Wisconsin v. Cornell
                              2006 WCHA FF Semi: SCSU v. Minnesota
                              2007 Regional Final: North Dakota v. Minnesota
                              2007 Regional Semifinal: Notre Dame v. UAH
                              2007 WCHA FF Title: North Dakota v. Minnesota
                              2008 Regional Final: Miami v. BC
                              2009 National Championshp: BU v. Miami
                              2009 Regional Semifinal: Duluth v. Princeton
                              2009 Regional Semifinal: UNH v. North Dakota
                              2011 National Championship: Duluth v. Michigan
                              2011 WCHA FF Title: North Dakota v. Denver
                              North Dakota
                              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Nobody nominated the 1985 HE Championship game? really?

Even if you forgot that PC has a program (which is entirely reasonable given the past decade) you're all bailing on a game that BC lost in double OT?

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                                -Blackadder
                                "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                                -Casablanca
                                "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                                -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Working...
                                X