X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skiumah2
    replied
    Re: The Greatest Games ever played

Completely forgot about SCSU's 8-7 OT game over Minnesota in the 2005 WCHA Final 5 Semi-final. That was a great game even though the outcome was horribly undesirable for me.

Another bad memory for us Gopher fans:

UMD 5 - Minnesota 4 OT - 1998 WCHA First Round (Best of 3) - Duluth Entertainment and Convention Center - Duluth, MN
    Deciding game 3 to see who advances to the Final 5 in Milwaukee. Down 4-0 with 14 minutes left, UMD rallys for the tie and wins it in overtime. One of the worst days of my life. However, I couldn't help but smile when head coach Mike Sertich slid on the ice into the goal while celebrating.

Leave a comment:

• vizoroo
    replied

old pio has been banned (for comments on the Penn State tread in the Cafe), I hope this thread doesn't close before he can return and bring some memories that others may not have.

Leave a comment:

• Neil Diamond
    replied

1993 National Championship: Maine v. LSSU

The outcome was horrible...but what a game. Amazing.

Leave a comment:

• JDUBBS1280
    replied
    Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
    I'm pretty sure Jan hung a banner after that game.
    I think they hung one for every goal if I remember correctly.

Leave a comment:

• SanTropez
    replied

Originally posted by motox View Post
    March 17, 2006 Final Five Semi-Final: St. Cloud State Huskies vs Minnesota Gophers. Huskies win 8-7 in OT. Huskies were up 5-2, 6-3, and 7-5. Gophers scored game tying goal with 14 secs left in regulation. Greatest game I've ever attended. Just found this on youtube, quality isn't good but you get to see all the goals.

I'm pretty sure Jan hung a banner after that game.

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
    How the hell would you know? Had you even been born yet?
    She's old. Almost as old as you.

Leave a comment:

• DLW4GOPHERS
    replied

1979 NCAA title game. Minnesota vs North Dakota. Gophers win 4-3. Neal Broten scores while diving for the puck and flips it over the goal tender for the game winner.

Leave a comment:

• goldy_331
    replied

Originally posted by Runninwiththedogs View Post
    Why are people mentioning the 1984 title game? That was a ****ty game.
    How the hell would you know? Had you even been born yet?

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied

That's the game that hooked MEg, too.
    And Shirtless Guy, and HuskyNation, and several others that either don't post anymore or never did.

Leave a comment:

• motox
    replied

March 17, 2006 Final Five Semi-Final: St. Cloud State Huskies vs Minnesota Gophers. Huskies win 8-7 in OT. Huskies were up 5-2, 6-3, and 7-5. Gophers scored game tying goal with 14 secs left in regulation. Greatest game I've ever attended. Just found this on youtube, quality isn't good but you get to see all the goals.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

What about the second 1985 semifinal?

Leave a comment:

• Runninwiththedogs
    replied

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Damm that game. I spent so much time and money following a ****ty hockey team because that game hooked me.

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    FS23,

This is going to be real hard to quantify.
    I understand that, but it has never stopped me before.

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    I don't understand what the teams quality has to do with the quality of the individual game in question. I don't see why teams need an arbitrary boost in points based on perceived quality (records, ranks, etc).

Sacred Heart vs Robert Morris could be the greatest game ever played. But they would somehow be devalued for their records in that season?
    It was my thoughts that the greatest games would naturally feature the greatest teams, players and arguably coaches. I guess it comes down to how each person perceives "greatness" in relation to a game. The formula will reflect my perception of greatness. All things being equal, two very good teams (with great players and the like) playing against each other would naturally produce better hockey than two very bad teams (with arguably not as good of players) playing against each other. That was my rationale for looking at that particular piece of the formula. Obviously, I'm open to removing it from the formula, but it would take a very convincing argument. At the end of the day, I could always give both calculations for those that are extremely opposed to it being included.

Leave a comment:

• WeAreNDHockey
    replied

Here's one, although it doesn't have many far reaching implications (not a playoff, not between two teams with much history or a rivalry to speak of, likely unknown nor remembered by those who weren't there):

Notre Dame VS Western Michigan @ Lawson, January 28th, 1983. Long time ND fans remember this game as the one that followed the announcement that Notre Dame was dropping the team all the way to club status.

Western skated to a 3-0 lead in the first 7 minutes of the game. Later they led 4-1, 5-2, and 7-4. With fewer than 5 minutes to play, and still trailing 7-4, Notre Dame takes a penalty. With Notre Dame short-handed, Rex Bellomy scores at the 16:11 mark to make it 7-5. At 17:37 of the 3rd, another Irish goal makes it 7-6. And with just over a minute to play, Irish All-American Kirt Bjork caps off a 3 goal night, scoring Notre Dame's 7th, sending the game to an unlikely overtime. Overtime rules then had a regular 15 minute intermission followed by a 10 minute sudden death session. Not seeing any blunting of their momentum, John Deasey scored for Notre Dame 1:44 into the OT for an improbable 8-7 Notre Dame win.

John Fineran, the hockey beat writer for the South Bend Tribune at the time had a memorable opening to his game article the next morning:
    Notre Dame played taps for its hockey program Thursday afternoon and Western Michigan played taps for the Irish three times Friday night.

Friday's renditions were premature.
    Last edited by WeAreNDHockey; 11-11-2011, 01:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X