X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2011-12 Part III: Our Goal is to be Offensive

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
    Tinordi's and JL's goal were pretty. Tinordi's goal was actually a roofer. JL played the point on PP last night and I think he is more effective down low finding the gaps. JL is going to be good here. Nice to see us score at even strength. We created alot of chances last night.
    and despite what Ed Weaver wrote today, Tinordi is a soph this year. BTW, the Record article also states that Haggerty might play.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
      Tinordi's and JL's goal were pretty. Tinordi's goal was actually a roofer. JL played the point on PP last night and I think he is more effective down low finding the gaps. JL is going to be good here. Nice to see us score at even strength. We created alot of chances last night.
      agree on all points-our offense last night was good enough to win a lot of games. The defense was another story and Bryce was not as sharp as I have seen him before. I just chalk this one up as a close one we lost-I'm ready for QU who tied Union last night.
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

I'm pretty much at a loss after this one folks. We loses a tough one last night and respond by getting out worked and out shot at Q.

Two secs. to play, our two most experienced Dmen on the ice AGAIN for another crucial goal. I love Bailen's offense, but he's killing us on the back end. I think I might be ready for him to pull a Brutlag. Bergin remains an enigma..halfway thru his senior year.

Hats off to Diebold...it sounded like he stood on his head all night. Stoning Q odd man rushes several times. For my money, he's earned the starting gig.

Quick glance at the ECAC schedule: RPI has 15 league games to play. Engineers will need to go 10-5 to hit the Mendoza line.

Time for Seth to stop reminding us how good we are gonna be and get something drawn up for the U game in LP...to avoid another "debacle", as he so aptly described the first meeting.
        Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 12-03-2011, 09:09 PM.
        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
          I'm pretty much at a loss after this one folks. We loses a tough one last night and respond by getting out worked and out shot at Q.

Two secs. to play, our two most experienced Dmen on the ice AGAIN for another crucial goal. I love Bailen's offense, but he's killing us on the back end. I think I might be ready for him to pull a Brutlag. Bergin remains an enigma..halfway thru his senior year.

Hats off to Diebold...it sounded like he stood on his head all night. Stoning Q odd man rushes several times. For my money, he's earned the starting gig.

Quick glance at the ECAC schedule: RPI has 15 league games to play. Engineers will need to go 10-5 to hit the Mendoza line.

Time for Seth to stop reminding us how good we are gonna be and get something drawn up for the U game in LP...to avoid another "debacle", as he so aptly described the first meeting.
          Unfortunately, I have to agree with almost all of this, the conversation I had with my dad after the game tonight is pretty much a mirror image of this. I was disgusted Scotty didnt get the nod last night after hearing Seth tell us how fantastic he's been for us in all his starts.Bryce is good but so far Scott has just been better. I love Bailen as a forward but the number of times hes given up the crucial turnover or made a crucial bad play (GWG against Min. State, last night's ENG,tonight etc.) are getting to me. It doesnt hurt to give him a shot up front even just 1 time and see how it goes. Bergin's taking stupid penalties and hasnt been at his best as of late. This is D1, sometimes if your youngsters are playing better than your upperclassmen you have to let go of the seniority card.. Hopefully Appert has something up his sleeve for the OOC games and the break for Christmas does us good..go red
          RIT Tigers
          2006-2007, 2008-2009, 2009-2010, 2010-2011 Regular Season Champions
          2010,2015, 2016 Atlantic Hockey Champions

Comment

The only good that came out of this weekend, was JL and Shroeder getting on the score board. Maybe now they can stop squeezing their sticks and make the offensive contributions that we were expecting.
            Diebold was left out to dry and still came up big. I have been a fan of his since I first saw him. Plays his angles great and quick when he has to be. I still like Merriam, so the goalies are set.
            Next conference game is Jan. 6th. We have a month to figure this all out. Get healthy and aim for the ECAC tournament. Winning that is the only way to get into the real tournament.
            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
            Benjamin Franklin
            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
            Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
              Getting out-shot had a lot to do with all the penalties RPI took. You can't get a 5-min major, followed by another 2-min penalty at the tail end of it and expect to come ahead in the shot totals. I didn't see Curadi after that major, it looked like he got ejected, but was announced as a game misconduct.

Bottom line, Diebold played great, it was a good, close game, but too many mistakes. The penalty killing was HUGE last night. We had our chances, just couldn't seem to finish. The D fell asleep at the end expecting the horn & OT, and they paid dearly.

I liked the play of the Freshmen - Schroder was right where he needed to be on an up-ice rush for a tip in goal.

Comment

NYHockeyGuy, you aren't the only one disgusted by the defensemen's play as of late. The biggest issue is, though: Who is going to take their place? We only have 7 D (as we didn't get any walk-ons as far as I am aware). I don't know if we can afford going 4 or 5 D; I mean, look how well a short bench is doing for our women's team. Not to mention, we had a short D bench for two periods after the BRO was thrown out. However, it's not like we haven't had our offensive chances to bury it and we came up short, so the entire team has been at fault. That's why it's a team game and not an individual one.

I've said it many times last night, and I'll say it again: Diebold played out of his mind. He kept his team in the game. It's sad the team didn't want to share that desire.

Comment

Originally posted by HighlanderRPI View Post
                  Getting out-shot had a lot to do with all the penalties RPI took. You can't get a 5-min major, followed by another 2-min penalty at the tail end of it and expect to come ahead in the shot totals. I didn't see Curadi after that major, it looked like he got ejected, but was announced as a game misconduct.

Bottom line, Diebold played great, it was a good, close game, but too many mistakes. The penalty killing was HUGE last night. We had our chances, just couldn't seem to finish. The D fell asleep at the end expecting the horn & OT, and they paid dearly.

I liked the play of the Freshmen - Schroder was right where he needed to be on an up-ice rush for a tip in goal.
                  Game misconduct means you're done for the night. Game DQ (aka match penalty) means a suspension. The BRO has been making the most of his newly found chance to play. Getting the puck towards the offensive net, shutting down the opponent's chances, hard hitting...

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    The BRO has been making the most of his newly found chance to play.
                    Taking a game misconduct is counterproductive in making the most of your opportunity to play......care to explain that one FD, or are you just looking for kudos from Babo
                    Like a turkey at Thanksgiving, I'm stuffed

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymascot View Post
                      Taking a game misconduct is counterproductive in making the most of your opportunity to play......care to explain that one FD, or are you just looking for kudos from Babo
                      I thought that Curadi played well, at least it sounded that way from the WRPI commentary. His supposed weaknesses (claimed by a certain PC fan), did not appear to arise, e.g., slowness, lack of hockey sense, ... I would rather have seen him not get the penalty, but it appears that contact with him is going to cause opponents to fall down whether or not there is any intent.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        NYHockeyGuy, you aren't the only one disgusted by the defensemen's play as of late. The biggest issue is, though: Who is going to take their place? We only have 7 D (as we didn't get any walk-ons as far as I am aware). I don't know if we can afford going 4 or 5 D; I mean, look how well a short bench is doing for our women's team. Not to mention, we had a short D bench for two periods after the BRO was thrown out. However, it's not like we haven't had our offensive chances to bury it and we came up short, so the entire team has been at fault. That's why it's a team game and not an individual one.

I've said it many times last night, and I'll say it again: Diebold played out of his mind. He kept his team in the game. It's sad the team didn't want to share that desire.
                        I know we do have a bit of a short defensive bench but in key situations, if your youngsters are more in the game than your elite veterans, maybe its time to give Leonard, Koudys or Dolan a shot in a big spot, sometimes it seems when appert likes a player too much they get more playing time than perhaps they deserve and get too comfortable.(my statement in my last post about the seniority card went for the goalie and skater situation). Agree with EHF, Schroeder and Laliberte picking it up this weekend is a great sign, hopefully that continues when Haggerty gets back in the line up,it could be just what we need. Havent given up on this team, just a little down. as always LGR
                        Last edited by NYhockeyguy; 12-04-2011, 09:36 AM.
                        RIT Tigers
                        2006-2007, 2008-2009, 2009-2010, 2010-2011 Regular Season Champions
                        2010,2015, 2016 Atlantic Hockey Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                          I thought that Curadi played well, at least it sounded that way from the WRPI commentary. His supposed weaknesses (claimed by a certain PC fan), did not appear to arise, e.g., slowness, lack of hockey sense, ... I would rather have seen him not get the penalty, but it appears that contact with him is going to cause opponents to fall down whether or not there is any intent.
                          Quite honestly Ralph, I am not so sure those doing the WRPI broadcast have ever used negative adjectives to describe the play of any RPI player. I do understand what you are referring to, that if a d-man gets beat wide during the broadcast you attribute that to slow feet/speed.

You are correct in stating that whoever the opponent might be when contact occurs, will usually be smaller and at a size disadvantage. In my opinion, this is something I am sure Curadi is aware of and sometimes needs to adjust his style or aggressiveness, especially along the boards, since the onus of contact shifts to the player making the hit!
                          Last edited by hockeymascot; 12-04-2011, 09:38 AM.
                          Like a turkey at Thanksgiving, I'm stuffed

Comment

Originally posted by NYhockeyguy View Post
                            I know we do have a bit of a short defensive bench but in key situations, if your youngsters are more in the game than your elite veterans, maybe its time to give Leonard, Koudys or Dolan a shot in a big spot, sometimes it seems when appert likes a player too much they get more playing time than perhaps they deserve and get too comfortable.(my statement in my last post about the seniority card went for the goalie and skater situation). Agree with EHF, Schroeder and Laliberte picking it up this weekend is a great sign, hopefully that continues when Haggerty gets back in the line up,it could be just what we need. Havent given up on this team, just a little down. as always LGR
                            I am sure that SA expects his seniors to play with more poise and awareness of the situation.
                            I think that we should expect the same of SA. Last minute of a tied hockey game, and you have your two best offensive defensemen on the ice. What is he thinking. Koudys and Dolan have played a great stay at home defensive game, and they are on the bench. It makes you wonder.
                            As for Curadi, his only shortcoming going into his freshman year was his penchant for taking penalties. He has played very well when he has been in there. He is huge, if you ever get the chance to stand next to him, you will understand. I don't think that he will ever get a break from the referees. I think that he can be a very good defenseman for us, but he has to find a way to make those hits without it sounding like he is driving his man through the boards.
                            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                            Benjamin Franklin
                            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                            Gary Player

Comment

I wasn't at the game so I cannot comment on the nature of the penalty. From Kurt's fabulous presentation, it seemed that the BRO was playing very aggressively in the time he had last night.

Comment

Quite honestly Ralph, I am not so sure those doing the WRPI broadcast have ever used negative adjectives to describe the play of any RPI player. I do understand what you are referring to, that if a d-man gets beat wide during the broadcast you attribute that to slow feet/speed.
                                I assume you don't remember listening to the Union game.

Comment

Working...
                                X