• Re: RPI 2011-12 Part III: Our Goal is to be Offensive

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
    Boo hoo.
    Wrong, Boo Boo

Comment

Originally posted by Senna View Post
      I dont know what you mean by this....

I was not at th.e game last night as flying to LA, but my son who goes to RPI was texting, and I checked the game thread and this one after I got checked in. I also watched the interview, and even forwarded to my youngest who plays. It's great to have skills and talent, but you win with attitude, desire, intensity, commitment, and effort. Same as in life. I am in violent agreement with much of what has been posted recently. What I am not is giving up on this team or season, and the tone of the posts has seemed to go in that direction a bit. Look, was the effort there last night ? Apparently not. Right now though is the time that we all need to stick together and come out of this by fighting, and honestly I think that the team need to hear and see that we are ready to climb over the boards and go to war with them if that's what it takes. It's difficult to work harder when things are not going well and keep the faith. Lack of effort is inexcusable given the results of this season. Say whatever you want about Union, I have been impressed with them the past few years precisely because of their level of compete. It's why they finished where they did last year. Yale has it too. It's our turn. I thought we were there the other day with Haggerty's goal because there was anger in that shot. The team and system is supposed to be built on being fast and up tempo, yet we look to relaxed and complacent at times. I was these guys to want to mad dog, wolf pack on teams. We have the speed and skill. Now it's effort. Let's stay the course with the boys. We don't want them quitting on us or themselves, so let's not quit on them.
      Well put. One thing that I believe, though, is that the amount of effort placed should be reciprocated. Taking your chances and the puck just doesn't go in the net? That's going to happen. Giving, based upon the testimonies I have heard both on the radio and on the internet, a half-assed effort does not make people want to watch you. Last year, I was happy to pay $80 every other week to watch a tournament-bound team play live. If they aren't going to play like they want it, why should I travel 3 hours each way to watch them play when I can just listen to it on the radio or watch one of the other teams I follow?

I'm not going to give up on the team. My tag to the left of this post, as well as my desktop wallpaper, will stay as they are. However, the effort I input will depend upon the effort they input.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        Well put. One thing that I believe, though, is that the amount of effort placed should be reciprocated. Taking your chances and the puck just doesn't go in the net? That's going to happen. Giving, based upon the testimonies I have heard both on the radio and on the internet, a half-assed effort does not make people want to watch you. Last year, I was happy to pay $80 every other week to watch a tournament-bound team play live. If they aren't going to play like they want it, why should I travel 3 hours each way to watch them play when I can just listen to it on the radio or watch one of the other teams I follow?

I'm not going to give up on the team. My tag to the left of this post, as well as my desktop wallpaper, will stay as they are. However, the effort I input will depend upon the effort they input.
        My only point is to not ask for something from them that we wouldn't be willing to do ourselves. It's so easy to quit when things are not going your way. I for one believe that the team can sense how their fans feel, and if we are disinterested, then they may be too. Remember, they are college kids, extraordinary as they are. Let me put this way - even after losses, I have stayed with my boys and the players come out and engage them because it's important for the fans and the kids. What if we now abandon them ? I personally think that would be **** poor. To the extent possible, we will be there and afterwards for every game from now on. We are all in this together. Divided we all lose.

Comment

My only point is to not ask for something from them that we wouldn't be willing to do ourselves. It's so easy to quit when things are not going your way. I for one believe that the team can sense how their fans feel, and if we are disinterested, then they may be too. Remember, they are college kids, extraordinary as they are. Let me put this way - even after losses, I have stayed with my boys and the players come out and engage them because it's important for the fans and the kids. What if we now abandon them ? I personally think that would be **** poor. To the extent possible, we will be there and afterwards for every game from now on. We are all in this together. Divided we all lose.
          This x 1,000,000. Do we think the team isn't already ****ed off enough about how they're playing, only to hear "Well I will leave my tag on a message board and my computer background the same, but THERE I DRAW THE LINE." I was pleased with the crowd at the Brown game sticking with it and supporting the team despite the long scoring drought, and in the first several minutes of the Union game, but as soon as Union scored to tie it the energy left the building entirely. One goal against and the crowd had already decided the game was over. Say what you will, but that has to have some effect on the guys on the ice.
          APBWiki

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
            Well 5 ECAC games without an even strength goal. I struggle as I watch to figure out if its more a talent gap or system/motivation issue. Is Union that much faster or did they just want it more. The special teams play last night was extremely one sided as far as puck control and any organization of a power play. I feel the only way they are going to get out of this funk is to start hitting everything in sight, early and often. Tinordi, Lee, Rabbani, Bergin and Haggerty need to set the tone. Doubt I will see this team again until January. If they can't get up for a game as important as last night, I doubt I'm going to make an effort to go to Placid or UConn in December.

Edit: If a decision is made in the next few weeks that RPI will be joining Hockey East in 2013 I will quickly get over the depression from the start of this season and rethink my cancellations of these road trips.
            Well said. Hockey East is the ultimate goal. Every time we have took a pass on HE the program has gone downhill. I was also surprised at how flat they were last night. I think a big contingent is going to Storrs for the game so I hope you can make it.
            "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Well said my friend. The players, SA and the staff have been incredibly gracious to the fans. I believe in SA and these group of guys and I know that they can turn it around. SA has included the fans in the RPI Hockey family and we should support him and the players even during the rough patches.
              "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by GRussinko View Post
                I was pleased with the crowd at the Brown game sticking with it and supporting the team despite the long scoring drought, and in the first several minutes of the Union game, but as soon as Union scored to tie it the energy left the building entirely. One goal against and the crowd had already decided the game was over. Say what you will, but that has to have some effect on the guys on the ice.
                No doubt....and a more mature team (which we will have, in time) will also sense that and say "we need to get the crowd back into the game" and do something to pump them up. A big hit, an extra burst of energy, what have you.

As you are saying, there often is a reciprocal relationship between the crowd and the team's play. The team can feed off crowd support; the team also can do some things to encourage crowd support to which the crowd must then respond.
                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

http://www.withoutapeer.com/2011/11/early-returns.html Absolutely. -_-

Heck, you could do this as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDAq5tyfk9E

Oh, why not, the Steve Porter remix: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exOxUAntx8I

Comment

• [
                    I would like to see die old in net at rit. Also would like to see smith,burghs in lineup. Seniors that hit someone. Why not curadi too at d.

QUOTE=FreshFish;5267729]No doubt....and a more mature team (which we will have, in time) will also sense that and say "we need to get the crowd back into the game" and do something to pump them up. A big hit, an extra burst of energy, what have you.

As you are saying, there often is a reciprocal relationship between the crowd and the team's play. The team can feed off crowd support; the team also can do some things to encourage crowd support to which the crowd must then respond.[/QUOTE]
                    I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

Thanks, johnk, Senna & Red Cloud. Comments that add to the conversation after a frustrating night.
                      This layoff is a good time to listen/focus on what the coach is saying (Wetrust in Seth...) to regroup, and have a solid week + of practice.

Team will respond to fans. Fans will support the team, they're waiting to erupt.
                      Here we come!

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
                        Edit: If a decision is made in the next few weeks that RPI will be joining Hockey East in 2013 I will quickly get over the depression from the start of this season and rethink my cancellations of these road trips.
                        Has something come out recently that I missed about the possiblity of a move?
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by fr joe View Post
                          Team will respond to fans. Fans will support the team, they're waiting to erupt.
                          There must be a lot of pent up energy in that case.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by rvd5star69 View Post
                            I would like to see die old in net at rit. Also would like to see smith,burghs in lineup. Seniors that hit someone. Why not curadi too at d.
                            After some major FYPing...

This. Just like the NHL, if the other team wears orange and black, there's only one thing you do: HIT THEM!
                            Plus, we haven't seen Curadi play very much at all, what, 2 games this year?
                            On top of all of this: what's happening thus far isn't working. Why not switch it up a little?

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                              There must be a lot of pent up energy in that case.
                              Some has erupted. Sadly, the eruption from the fans has not been properly directed in most cases.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                                Some has erupted. Sadly, the eruption from the fans has not been properly directed in most cases.
                                Not surprising. I add that the title of this thread remains valid.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X