• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ralph Baer
    replied
    Re: RPI 2011-12 Part III: Our Goal is to be Offensive

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
    I didn't see a game thread or I may have missed it. Union has also been bitten by the injury / illness bug as both Stevens and Grosenick are hurt or sick. Also Kyle Bodie is apparently out and his brother Mat is questionable along with Matt Hatch. Not looking for sympathy here as RPI's issues are well documented in this area. Is it fair to say that this is a much bigger game for RPI than Union? I think a win by RPI could really turn their season around whereas a Union loss though it would be an upset or sorts would be of less significance. I'm not sure why, but I'm not getting the same buzz from this game as I always would. Maybe there have been too many meetings lately or maybe it's just that neither team seems to be in top form at the moment.
    I didn't start one because there was one started last week http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...ff-Lake-Placid.

Leave a comment:

• Wholin1
    replied

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    Were these injuries sustained during games or in practice? We seem to pile up our injuries when we are not even playing.
    I'm pretty sure they were in game injuries. I believe Grosenick has been sick. As far as practice injuries are concerned, I think they are common if for no other reason than they spend a lot more time practicing than playing in games.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

I didn't see a game thread or I may have missed it. Union has also been bitten by the injury / illness bug as both Stevens and Grosenick are hurt or sick. Also Kyle Bodie is apparently out and his brother Mat is questionable along with Matt Hatch. Not looking for sympathy here as RPI's issues are well documented in this area. Is it fair to say that this is a much bigger game for RPI than Union? I think a win by RPI could really turn their season around whereas a Union loss though it would be an upset or sorts would be of less significance. I'm not sure why, but I'm not getting the same buzz from this game as I always would. Maybe there have been too many meetings lately or maybe it's just that neither team seems to be in top form at the moment.
    Given where you guys are in ratings percentage index (currently a TUC), I'd say it's bigger for you. For us, we're just trying to salvage what we can for league play, since the best we can do OOC is .500. You have everything to lose if we win or tie, even though it's still just a non-conference game, and not being a TUC wouldn't hurt you as much in the long run.

Leave a comment:

• DrDemento
    replied

Were these injuries sustained during games or in practice? We seem to pile up our injuries when we are not even playing.

Leave a comment:

• Wholin1
    replied

Leave a comment:

• FreshFish
    replied

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    How nice of you to give me such deference.
    Did you confuse yourself with someone else? I thought you were "he who looks for any reason to get his post count up. *"

I thought Ralph was referring to He Who Must Be Ignored.

* and will post even without a reason if need be.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Not to mention ganging up on he-whose-name-won't-be-uttered.
    How nice of you to give me such deference.

Leave a comment:

• Hockey111
    replied

Originally posted by ralph baer View Post
    a problem is finding players who can play well together.
    agree!!!

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Originally posted by ibanezist00 View Post
    As much as I enjoy the hockey talk, I also enjoy the off-topic talk, too. It's a nice reprieve from our team's woes and it just goes to show that we're human and want to actually chat with each other.
    Not to mention ganging up on he-whose-name-won't-be-uttered.

Leave a comment:

• AspyDad
    replied

Originally posted by babo View Post
    I concur
    I like going off topic everyone once in awhile myself. I also concur.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

I can only hope. If I expect it, it won't happen.
    We did start the belief of that being possible in 2008-09. We should strive to finish the job this year and win the league championship.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    In my non-hockey athletic experience, that is a combition of several things:
    > 'position skills' coaching (the nuts and bolts, e.g. in basketball on defense you side-shuffle but do not cross one leg over the other: practice 100 times, rest, repeat)
    > 'player integration' coaching (e.g. timing plays; e.g. in volleyball on the quick set, the spiker and the setter have to practice together over and over and over).
    > each player's aptitude and ability
    > players' chemistry with each other (I had a doubles partner with whom we each could move instinctively without speaking to the right spot since we understood the nuances of the details of the game the same way. It would weird out other teams sometimes when we would break for positions on the court while the other team was serving since we each could tell by the server's motion where the ball was going to go before it even crossed the net).

Given the substantial degree of turnover this year combined with injuries, I am expecting / hoping for all of this to gel come February and March and for us to do some serious damage come ECAC tournament time.
    I can only hope. If I expect it, it won't happen.

Leave a comment:

• FreshFish
    replied

A problem is finding players who can play well together.
    In my non-hockey athletic experience, that is a combition of several things:
    > 'position skills' coaching (the nuts and bolts, e.g. in basketball on defense you side-shuffle but do not cross one leg over the other: practice 100 times, rest, repeat)
    > 'player integration' coaching (e.g. timing plays; e.g. in volleyball on the quick set, the spiker and the setter have to practice together over and over and over).
    > each player's aptitude and ability
    > players' chemistry with each other (I had a doubles partner with whom we each could move instinctively without speaking to the right spot since we understood the nuances of the details of the game the same way. It would weird out other teams sometimes when we would break for positions on the court while the other team was serving since we each could tell by the server's motion where the ball was going to go before it even crossed the net).

Given the substantial degree of turnover this year combined with injuries, I am expecting / hoping for all of this to gel come February and March and for us to do some serious damage come ECAC tournament time.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Originally posted by Hockey111 View Post
    Are you serious? It really doesn’t matter who we play at this point. No clear standouts. We have a lot of really good players that need to pull it together more as a team. But at this point, I don’t see anyone racking up the points or standing out. So, for the players that may follow this board. It’s an even playing field. Keep working hard and more cohesively as a team. I feel a BIG W! Good luck this weekend.
    A problem is finding players who can play well together.

Leave a comment:

• Hockey111
    replied

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Hopefully with the larger ice we will change our break-out approach. Although, thinking about a zone defense, that may be why we break-out the way we break out.

With the larger ice, I wouldn't be surprised to see the bruisers take a back seat. The biggest issue, though, with the injuries, I don't think we'll have much of a choice in who plays.
    Are you serious? It really doesn’t matter who we play at this point. No clear standouts. We have a lot of really good players that need to pull it together more as a team. But at this point, I don’t see anyone racking up the points or standing out. So, for the players that may follow this board. It’s an even playing field. Keep working hard and more cohesively as a team. I feel a BIG W! Good luck this weekend.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X