This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI 2011-12 Part III: Our Goal is to be Offensive

It was a good game. It was a well officiated game....I know, heresy! Any one of the teams from the last 3 years, wins this game 4-1. Yale is not the team we've been accustomed to seeing the last several years. It seemed every pass from us...if it had to go 15 feet, went 12 feet...if we could get to the puck 1 foot away, it was 2 feet away. Higgs with 3 chances in the 2nd period to bury a goal on a one-timer only to hit a, "shank-a-saurus". Cullen with 2 high-tipins that just missed. I do feel though that the D-men, see Beef & Bergin in particular, were very shaky with their passing in our zone. I have a feeling that Saturday we are going to be treated to an offensive outburst....and I'm not talking 1 or 2 goals, for all the weisenhymers out there. Saw Neal walking...no noticeable limp (fingers crossed).
    Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      I intend to go. Easy trip.
      I'll be there...my nephew (Union grad) is an ER doctor there so I hope to spend a little time with him and his young family. Will the faithful be behind the RPI bench?

Comment

Agree with everybody. Would like to see JL on first unit PP... there is a "synergy" there between him and Bails. Mr. Bronze Medal played the trap which bums me out...not a fan of Yale but admired them that they didn't play the trap (there goes that). As usual, Mcguane did a great job on jerseys. I like the incorporation of Engineers logo.
        "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
          So I just bought my train ticket to Rochester and my seat for the game against RIT right after Thanksgiving. Anyone else going?
          I've got my tickets. I'll be there with my dad. And, I got general admission tickets, so we'll be wherever we find a spot, probably on the same shooting side of the ice as the corner crew, but on the RPI half, instead of the RIT half
          Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by babo View Post
            1.) The team did not play poorly; on the contrary...they were good (even in the traditionally underachieving 2nd period).
            2.) Yale didn't play better than us. They did beat us, but it wasn't a WIN for them.
            Even though we lost (and did not score), I thought we took it to Yale in the second and third period, we generated chances and you could see the determination on the guys to get something going, I thought for sure we were going to tie it up but it just did not happen, the late penalty on Hag made it tough for the final push, I do not fault him for the penalty since he plays a hard determined game. I thought it was a fun game to watch, lets hope for the same effort tonite from the guys. Brown may be tough since they handled Union.

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
              Agree with everybody. Would like to see JL on first unit PP... there is a "synergy" there between him and Bails. Mr. Bronze Medal played the trap which bums me out...not a fan of Yale but admired them that they didn't play the trap (there goes that). As usual, Mcguane did a great job on jerseys. I like the incorporation of Engineers logo.
              AspyDad, we've shown time and time again that their speed game doesn't work against us. What else do you expect Yale to do? They know we have difficulty against the trap, so you exploit that difficulty. Obviously Coach recognized that and made an adjustment in the 2nd, like any smart coach should do. I like to relate it to Rock-Paper-Scissors. You have to throw something at them that they're not expecting.

Comment

1.) The team did not play poorly; on the contrary...they were good (even in the traditionally underachieving 2nd period).
                2.) Yale didn't play better than us. They did beat us, but it wasn't a WIN for them.

I know many of you will jump on me for those statements but I'm not convinced that there's anything wrong here...it's a timing thing and some of the players have to get their timing down.

Growing pains my friends, they're painful as all-get-out...but the results are awesome...
                The only comment that I take offense with is that it was not a WIN for Yale. It certainly was.
                However, I agree with all the rest. RPI did skate with Yale and spent a lot of time in the offensive zone, but they were tentative and unsure. Someone needs to tell them to shoot the puck at every possible opportunity.
                Looking for the perfect play is not working. Laliberte had half a net to shoot at in the third period and he tried a pass through two defensemen that did not make it.
                We are counting on him for goals, he should not be looking to pass.
                I am not pointing a finger at him, it was just an example of what the whole team is doing.
                I go back to a day when "the big whistle" would shout "shoot the puck Barry".
                I suggest we make the same request of the entire RPI team.
                Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                Benjamin Franklin
                The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                  BTW, Peoria scored 2 goals w/the goalie pulled in the last 1:12 to tie it at 6....Rockford also had 2 men in the box at the time. Peoria won in OT 7-6....http://theahl.com/stats/official-gam...ame_id=1008829
                  Yup, definitely no reason to pull the goalie. It just pads the other team's stats.
                  Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

I go back to a day when "the big whistle" would shout "shoot the puck Barry"........Now that brings back some good childhood memories. Listening to Jim Gordon & Bill "the Big Whistle" Chadwick doing the Ranger games on my little transistor radio....wow, priceless!
                    Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                      The only comment that I take offense with is that it was not a WIN for Yale. It certainly was.
                      However, I agree with all the rest. RPI did skate with Yale and spent a lot of time in the offensive zone, but they were tentative and unsure. Someone needs to tell them to shoot the puck at every possible opportunity.
                      Looking for the perfect play is not working. Laliberte had half a net to shoot at in the third period and he tried a pass through two defensemen that did not make it.
                      We are counting on him for goals, he should not be looking to pass.
                      I am not pointing a finger at him, it was just an example of what the whole team is doing.
                      I go back to a day when "the big whistle" would shout "shoot the puck Barry".
                      I suggest we make the same request of the entire RPI team.
                      You're, of course, right about Yale getting the win. I was voicing an encouraging "spin" on the outcome and failed to take into account a 'tip of the cap' to our opponent. Yale WON fair and square.

Comment

I'll be there...my nephew (Union grad) is an ER doctor there so I hope to spend a little time with him and his young family. Will the faithful be behind the RPI bench?
                        I also have my tix. Going with a friend who's an RIT grad but a follower of RPI hockey for over 30 years. I already told him, you sit where you want...I'm looking for RED!

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                          Yup, definitely no reason to pull the goalie. It just pads the other team's stats.
                          B12-remember Rockford had 2 men in the box which makes for a long 6 on 3. In those situations of course you pull the goalie-even earlier than you would normally think. I am one who is just not convinced that in normal situations ( 5 on 5) you should pull the goalie too early. I just think that opportune time is 1 minute left. Just my usually 2ยข after watching lots of games over too man years to count.
                          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

For the football fans. RPI today fell behind badly again, this time to Merchant Marine. Then staged a furious fourth quarter rally as they have in previous games but fell short 31-24. This ends the season with a 4-5 overall mark. Not a good season by recent standards for us and an extremely poor defensive showing in most games. Hopefully this is a blip in the radar and we can return to our winning ways next season. However on the positive side, there was never any quit in this team all year.
                            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Lines/D Pairings

http://www.rpiathletics.com/document...wn.pdf?id=1129

Our great coach keeps the lines the same as last night.
                              "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                                Lines/D Pairings

http://www.rpiathletics.com/document...wn.pdf?id=1129

Our great coach keeps the lines the same as last night.
                                uh...you may want to look at that again

Comment

Working...
                                X