X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2011-12 Part III: Our Goal is to be Offensive

Originally posted by Senna View Post
    FWIW - I used to love the Tourney between Christmas and New Year as a kid. Made sure I went to both games too. Have always been an RPI fan, but used to love watching the other teams warm up. I recall 7ht or 8th grade ('78-'79 ?) being there and watching the guys from the Air Force Academy walk out for warm ups and being massively impressed by them, their composure, their presence. Then again, the world was a bit of a different place and making that kind of commitment wasnt something to take lightly. While I only recived an alternate nomination and never made it to the Academy, it impacted me deeply and does to this day. I for one, hope that we someday get to a place where the Christmas tourney again makes sense and that gets brought back.
    You wanna' talk about tradition...including a service academy in a tournament is a good idea...they bring theirs with them and add to the one in which they participate (I had a nomination to West Point but it was early on in the female attendance era -'78 - and my newly widowed mother would have none of it...had my Dad, the USMC Lt. Col. fighter pilot made it, he might have given the nod). West Point (Jim Knowlton might know a few folks there to grease the skids ) would be a draw for additional Hudson Valley interest...
    Last edited by babo; 12-06-2011, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      Strings had to be pulled? They just had wind instruments and percussion?
      He was referring to the ukulele section...

Comment

Strings had to be pulled? They just had wind instruments and percussion?
        Unlike Clarkson, we didn't have a banjo player...

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
          The thing that sucks the most about being in last place is that everywhere we go, after we lose, without fail, someone will try to commiserate or something. Like "oh, hope you guys turn it around soon" or "your team is really a lot better than their record." I find it exceptionally condescending. I want to rail into these people like you wouldn't believe. I don't want your pity, because A) they don't really mean it, and B) when the tables are turned, my response is going to be "yeah, we came down here, you sucked, we destroyed you and then we ****ed in your ashes." That will be a good day.

Had one guy on Saturday tell me "you have to admit, that was really a great game." I want to know what the **** game he was watching. Sloppy on both sides, if both teams could have possibly lost it would have been cosmic justice.
          Don't speak for others about their intentions or whether what they say is from the heart.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
            Don't speak for others about their intentions or whether what they say is from the heart.
            When did he?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              When did he?
              "they don't really mean it"

Comment

Unlike Clarkson, we didn't have a banjo player...
                Why do I think that is hilarious?
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Why do I think that is hilarious?
                  Because it's true. Or at least it WAS, I don't know if the member graduated yet. Pensfan08 spotted the person in 2005, but you never know... graduate school, or some other reason.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                    Thanks for the advice, cake eater. You know a thing or two about condescension yourself, of course.
                    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                      I think I played the triangle a few times in grade school-count me in also!
                      How about empty water jug percussion? I'm quite skilled in that department
                      Hockey is serious business. Everything else is just a game.

RPI Hockey, Syracuse Football, New York Rangers, New York Giants.

Comment

Originally posted by ibanezist00 View Post
                        How about empty water jug percussion? I'm quite skilled in that department
                        I'm shocked no one has yet claimed their proficiency of controlled exhaling across the top of a beer bottle.

Comment

If you think anyone is glad about this turn of events, you're sorely mistaken. At the end of the day, the student union must collect revenue to support the hockey team. If the tournament was drawing your typical crowd of 3000-3500 to the games, there may be reason to keep it. If it isn't, perhaps it'd be best to just have another NC home game at another time when we can get butts in the seats.
                          I was responding to someone who posted that they were glad to see it go. I think he is a cake eater or a strawman. Not sure which.

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
                            I enjoyed too when it was between Christmas And New Years. Thanksgiving weekend, not so much. Couldn't even muster 10 students and alumni for a band during the last few tournaments which does take away from the atmosphere. Probably looking at the same for the first ECAC weekend in January with no band which will be sad consdering the friday night game is on NBC sports.
                            Yes and Yes. Thanksgiving not so much. I am sure you aren't old enough when they played a round robin.
                            Speaking about the band I like them right behind the opposing net for 2 periods. Kind of a tradition at HFH. I am marrtied to that tradition and the split up is painful.
                            Without the Holiday Tourney I would never be able to have seen Mel Wakabayashi play. Kinda Gary Kearn's size. http://michigantoday.umich.edu/02/Sum02/mt8j02.html

Comment

Originally posted by Beman View Post
                              Yes and Yes. Thanksgiving not so much. I am sure you aren't old enough when they played a round robin.
                              Speaking about the band I like them right behind the opposing net for 2 periods. Kind of a tradition at HFH. I am marrtied to that tradition and the split up is painful.
                              Without the Holiday Tourney I would never be able to have seen Mel Wakabayashi play. Kinda Gary Kearn's size. http://michigantoday.umich.edu/02/Sum02/mt8j02.html
                              I was fortunate-got to see both Mel and Herb play.
                              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                                I was fortunate-got to see both Mel and Herb play.
                                Saw Herb, but only heard Mel on the radio.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X