X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2011-12 Part III: Our Goal is to be Offensive

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    Lots of Ned stories around.
    I like the story about the 1954 championship in Colorado Springs. If I recall it correctly, we had a relatively thin bench, and the altitude was getting to the players (if you have never been at altitude, you can have no idea what a difference it makes!). He brought in a tank and a regulator and told them it was oxygen. It was just a tank. Apparently the players found out it was an empty tank and their annoyance with Ned gave them the adrenaline they needed to find a second wind.

PS I have several altitude stories of my own. the one that really convinced me how big a difference it makes: in my younger days I was an okay swimmer, I could swim two lengths of a 25-yard pool underwater. When we were in Wyoming, the first time I went swimming I could barely finish half a length.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

One wonders where this program would have been without him?
      If I recall my lore correctly, there might not be any program at all without him, no?

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
        If I recall my lore correctly, there might not be any program at all without him, no?
        Correct
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          I like the story about the 1954 championship in Colorado Springs. If I recall it correctly, we had a relatively thin bench, and the altitude was getting to the players (if you have never been at altitude, you can have no idea what a difference it makes!). He brought in a tank and a regulator and told them it was oxygen. It was just a tank. Apparently the players found out it was an empty tank and their annoyance with Ned gave them the adrenaline they needed to find a second wind.

PS I have several altitude stories of my own. the one that really convinced me how big a difference it makes: in my younger days I was an okay swimmer, I could swim two lengths of a 25-yard pool underwater. When we were in Wyoming, the first time I went swimming I could barely finish half a length.
          I can add one more note about sports at altitude. I was a fairly decent long distance runner when younger and could compete fairly well in high school in the mile and cross country and one marathon. I tried the run at Pike's Peak once and could not make it up beyond half way. I realized later why trees do not grow much about 12,000 feet. Thought my lungs were just going to explode. I had heard the story about Ned in 1954 but never knew if it was true.
          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

I can add one more note about sports at altitude. I was a fairly decent long distance runner when younger and could compete fairly well in high school in the mile and cross country and one marathon. I tried the run at Pike's Peak once and could not make it up beyond half way. I realized later why trees do not grow much about 12,000 feet. Thought my lungs were just going to explode. I had heard the story about Ned in 1954 but never knew if it was true.
            Ned has stated that story, but this is the first time that I have heard that the players knew it was empty during the game.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              Ned has stated that story, but this is the first time that I have heard that the players knew it was empty during the game.
              I may have misinterpreted that detail since I was writing from memory not from having double-checked source material first.

http://www.rpihockey.net/article.php?id=2259

Comment

I wonder if there are any coaches (whether in the college game or elsewhere) that still do anything like that...

Comment

Wait a second... who tagged RFalph?!

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    Wait a second... who tagged RFalph?!
                    I hadn't noticed that.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I wonder if there are any coaches (whether in the college game or elsewhere) that still do anything like that...
                      If they did do those things.....I would hire them in a heartbeat.
                      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

If they did do those things.....I would hire them in a heartbeat.
                        Did Adessa do any of that? I remember hearing (I believe it was from turk or his buddy, but don't quote me on that) that instead of Herbies, with Adessa it was going up and down Hoosick Street after a bad game.

Comment

Did Adessa do any of that? I remember hearing (I believe it was from turk or his buddy, but don't quote me on that) that instead of Herbies, with Adessa it was going up and down Hoosick Street after a bad game.
                          Someone, I think it was Ken Hammond, mentioned that or something similar in the Legends of '85 panel discussion http://www.rpitv.org/productions/276...nel-discussion. (My recollection was People Avenue, but you could be right about Hoosick.)
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                            Someone, I think it was Ken Hammond, mentioned that or something similar in the Legends of '85 panel discussion http://www.rpitv.org/productions/276...nel-discussion. (My recollection was People Avenue, but you could be right about Hoosick.)
                            Peoples would probably be a bit safer, at least in terms of traffic. Granted, I don't know when the Collar City Bridge became very popular at night (Wikipedia says 1981, but Alternate 7 wasn't made yet, it only connected to 787).

Comment

Big Mike was hockey's Bobby Knight. He was a winner though.
                              "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                                Big Mike was hockey's Bobby Knight. He was a winner though.
                                Rumor has it that big Mike used to keep the visitors locker room around 85-90 degrees to make sure they kept a good sweat going !
                                What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X