This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2011-12 Part III: Our Goal is to be Offensive

If you claim to be a fan, then you root for your team when they're doing well, and ESPECIALLY when they are struggling (tip of the cap to Senna). I personally will support this team for what they do but, more importantly, who they are as a collective. Go Engineers! Per ardua ad astra...

Comment

Originally posted by babo View Post
      If you claim to be a fan, then you root for your team when they're doing well, and ESPECIALLY when they are struggling (tip of the cap to Senna). I personally will support this team for what they do but, more importantly, who they are as a collective. Go Engineers! Per ardua ad astra...
      Now that the board is turning to Latin again, my favorite palindrome:

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

Comment

Well said. Every professional team I have rooted for in my lifetime has won a championship and finished last.(see Indianaplis Colts for example).
        This team needs to calm down. They are passing up good scoring opportunities for the perfect play. The offense lacks confidence and it shows big time.
        I am sure that the coaches will be doing everything possible during these next two weeks to fix the problem.
        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
        Benjamin Franklin
        The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
        Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post

I was told there would be no Latin.

Comment

Thus, the glow sticks...

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
              Seconded. Isn't RPI one of the few colleges whose motto "Knowledge and Thoroughness" is in English, not Latin or Greek?

(I almost wrote "Latin or Geek". )
              Last edited by Ralph Baer; 11-17-2011, 07:52 AM.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                JL, Higgs and O'Grady (all 3 being centers) have been back for what, 2, 3 games? In their absence, there's been constant line shifting going on up front. Appert even referred to the line turmoil when those guys were out. The d-pairings have been shuffled the last few games also.

I think what the forwards lack is a bit of timing and chemistry that only comes with consistent practice and game time together. Defensively, we don't play with much of an edge and we're not making good decisions with the puck...a good chunk of our GA have been from turnovers in the d zone... ill advised passes in front of or behind the net, etc.

The good news is its fixable stuff. We're dressing 10 or 11 underclassmen every night..its gonna take some time people. Hopefully the injury bug stays away and we can gel a bit on O. That's how I see it anyway.
                I agree with all this. I especially like the Josh/JL/Cullen line that we have seen the last couple of games.
                "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                  I think what the forwards lack is a bit of timing and chemistry that only comes with consistent practice and game time together.
                  Concur. I remember a part of the game against Notre Dame, in which they were passing the puck to a spot on the ice, while a player was moving to that spot. That takes a lot of repetition to get right.
                  "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                    ...We come out well and skate Plan A-whether it is dump and chase, or long passes out of the D zone. When the other teams figure this out and stop it-we continue with Plan A. We simply do not alter what we do...
                    Hit the nail on the head with a very large hammer here. I think though we have some other issues, this is the key one that is the root cause of the rest of our issues.

Also, my "what a disaster" post the other night -- I didn't mean to make it sound like I'm not supporting my team, but they also need to be aware that the fans have the right to not be happy with them if they play like they don't want the win, which was exactly how it appeared Tuesday night. I expected us to be bested by a better team, but I didn't expect us to be blown out like that. Even Union fans are saying that it looked like RPI just gave up any sort of fight way too early. I just don't want them to give up so soon, and get frustrated and start taking pointless penalties. They can't play better if they hold themselves back.
                    Hockey is serious business. Everything else is just a game.

RPI Hockey, Syracuse Football, New York Rangers, New York Giants.

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                      I agree with all this. I especially like the Josh/JL/Cullen line that we have seen the last couple of games.
                      Interesting. I hope that the line does click. I already got into trouble once for wondering why Rabbani was on a line with JL. If he could successfully stand in front of the net and put in rebounds, it would make some sense, otherwise it seems that JL is passing and nothing happens offensively. BTW, I would love to see Zalewski in such a role next season.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Thus, the glow sticks...
                        What does being consumed by fire have to do with glowsticks?

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                          Ou en français, s'il vous préfériez?
                          Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 11-17-2011, 09:12 AM.

Comment

What does being consumed by fire have to do with glowsticks?
                            Nothing...didn't study Latin so I only got the darkness part...

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                              Wicked-The reshuffle was my minor point. My major point was the lack of our ability to change tactics during a game and between periods. I am in no way knocking this team-it has great talent especially in the lowerclass years. The onus is on the coaches. We come out well and skate Plan A-whether it is dump and chase, or long passes out of the D zone. When the other teams figure this out and stop it-we continue with Plan A. We simply do not alter what we do. Some teams are offensively good enough to come out with a Plan A and it works-and when other teams try to make changes-Plan A still works simply because they are just plain good enough. At this stage, we are not. Ther have been times in the past when RPI was so potent that Plan A was all we ever needed-but not now. I look at hockey as a 60 minute war-with little individual battles and skirmishes. To win, though, you need to be constantly moving troops aroundand finding new ways to attack and defend. Just my 2¢
                              The team played hard and pretty well most of the time during the first 11 games and just couldn't score or catch a break. Tuesday was a bad time to through a real stinker. They had played well against Yale and Brown and picked up a much needed win on Saturday. Unfortunately they could not build on it. The defense played its worst game of the year and gave up the puck too often. Give Union credit they forechecked well, but the decision making by the RPI players was slow and tentative most of the night.

The forwards continue to have major dificulties delivering and catching passes. Many of the passes that do get past the legs of defenders end up bouncing off RPI sticks. I expected to see much more skill up front by now and it is frustrating to see the ineptitude, even among many of the younger guys expected to provide scoring. In my opinion it is time for a major shake-up up front. Too many of the older guys on the forward lines are bringing nothing offensively. I believe the play of the defense on Tuesday was a one-time thing. The forwards are an entirely different situation. They seem totally lost and out of sync at this point. Let's hope a few weeks on the road brings them together. I agree that the talent is there, it is time for someone to step up and play up to potential. I think this team can still be a factor in the ECAC, but they are digging a very deep hole and need to start working their way out very soon.

Comment

Nothing...didn't study Latin so I only got the darkness part...
                                It means: We go into the circle at night and are consumed by fire.

Comment

Working...
                                X