UND is going down the tubes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UND is going down the tubes.

One of the things Lucia has done in recent years is expand the roster. Minnesota found themselves before that with defections and injuries to be quite thin, much as UND is now. It will be interesting to see what UND's final result will be this year having that issue thrust upon them.

They have talent. Heck, our own Cardinal IIRC predicted that the Sioux would win the league this year.

I don't think depth is overrated. Depth is very important in the WCHA and was a very key component in Minnesota's lackluster finishes the past few seasons.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
      a team from Minnesota won the national championship, and hakstool choked with a team with way more talent than any other in the WCHA. now, UND is fighting it out for last place. you go ahead and talk about last year all you want, the rest of us will be laughing at und's epic failure this year. there is a very good chance that not only will you lose your abusive and hostile mascot, but you will finish in last place.
      I think this sums it up best.

*****http://target.scene7.com/s7viewers/dhtml/images/spacer.gif******
      Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
      Eric's Twitter
      The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post

I'm sure that does a good job of summing up your thoughts on the issue Goon.

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierBBall_GopherHockey View Post
          Thank you. There is no one else on this website willing to work that tireless job. Carry on soldier, carry on.
          *****http://files.sharenator.com/salute_To_our_sharenator_Veterans-s318x304-173136-580.jpg******
          "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
          Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
          The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
          Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            One of the things Lucia has done in recent years is expand the roster. Minnesota found themselves before that with defections and injuries to be quite thin, much as UND is now. It will be interesting to see what UND's final result will be this year having that issue thrust upon them.

They have talent. Heck, our own Cardinal IIRC predicted that the Sioux would win the league this year.

I don't think depth is overrated. Depth is very important in the WCHA and was a very key component in Minnesota's lackluster finishes the past few seasons.
            UND will finish in the bottom 4. This is one of the most uninspired teams I have ever witnessed save 4-5 players. Standing around watching Danny Kristo is not going to win games, Rocco Grimaldi healthy will not alleviate the scoring problems, and the special teams is a dumpster fire. Generally UND makes a turn in the second half, it would take 4 laps in a round about to complete the turn this year but I will keep watching and take the small victories like walking on imported Italian marble and having beers in leather seats.
            "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
            Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
            The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
            Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post

Why are you posting the new UND logo?
              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
                UND will finish in the bottom 4. This is one of the most uninspired teams I have ever witnessed save 4-5 players. Standing around watching Danny Kristo is not going to win games, Rocco Grimaldi healthy will not alleviate the scoring problems, and the special teams is a dumpster fire. Generally UND makes a turn in the second half, it would take 4 laps in a round about to complete the turn this year but I will keep watching and take the small victories like walking on imported Italian marble and having beers in leather seats.
                Can I get a price check for a bag of sand?

In all honesty, I think they're not as far from being a competitive team as a lot are trying to make them out to be. For what its worth, I think the WCHA right now is in four tiers, with MN, tUMD and CC being the 1st tier, DU, SCSU and UNO 2nd tier, MTU, UND and UW the 3rd, and MSUM, BSU and UAA pulling up the rear. Now looking ahead's dangerous for a team, but as a fan what else do we have to do on a Tuesday, and I realize there's a LONG way to go, and as an SCSU fan obviously getting home ice is first and foremost, but let's say in some bizarro world all teams finish exactly seeded in those tiers, I wouldn't care if SCSU finished 4th, 5th, or 6th, all I would wanna do is avoid UND in the first round. While nothing would be sweeter than ending their season, that's of action on the table to gamble with, especially because we have had such success against UW and MTU at home as of late.

UND's last 3 series at home are UW, MTU and MSU-M. Its not likely 10 of those 12 points isn't a possibility. If they can go .500 in their last six conference games in '11, I'm officially "concerned" about a second-half surge. Of course, I'll be very happy if they could go like 1-5-0 in that stretch.
                tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                  While I agree with your overall assessment, Aaron Dell has played terrific the last four games, and if he keeps that up, we'll be fine there. Where we struggle is scoring depth. If you shut down our top line, we will struggle to put a goal on the board. We're basically playing only 10 forwards and 8 defensemen.

It was kind of a Murphy's Law situation this off/early-season for the Sioux. JT Miller left to play major juniors (where he has 11-19-30 in 24 games), Rocco Grimaldi has been hurt, Colten St. Clair did not clear NCAA Clearinghouse and Brendon O'Donnell missed a lot of time for the first part of the season. Those were basically our top four incoming forwards. Moreover, while Gregoire was expected to leave, Hextall was a bit of a surprise.

Given all of this, it's no wonder the Sioux are where they are. Defensively and in net it looks like we'll be alright, but we are going to need freshmen to step up. When you are in that kind of situation, you are going to take your lumps. That's what is happening to North Dakota right now. If Grimaldi and O'Donnell can get healthy and the rest of the freshmen can start to contribute, then this will be a very good team by the end of the year. If not, the Sioux will likely finish in the bottom four, which seems likely at this point.
                  With the defections,injuries and uninspired play, this Sioux team sounds eerily familiar to the Gophers from the last couple of years.
                  Originally posted by CavalryNate
                  Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
                    Nothing is worse than having your season ended by UAA at home and UND the year before, you're program was embarrassing and I will continue to make sure you dont conveniently forget that fact.

I wasn't embarrassed. It's not like we had a team of Canadians, with a Canadian coach, that throw lawn mowers and **** on each other in elevators, and an abusive and hostile mascot that always chokes at the end of the year anyway.
                    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

SCSU Euro -

I tend to agree with your post, although I might quibble with a couple of the teams in the bands you laid out they aren't that far off of what I would put together. UND - like BSU, MTU, and other teams that are unlikely to host a playoff series - is still a dangerous team that will knock off some of the top teams despite their problems. They still have a lot of size and talent on the blueline, even though they started slowly. Their goaltending is good enough to steal a game here and there. And they still have enough top end forwards to put up a solid number of goals even if they lack the depth to do it every night. The script for a top half league finish is to sweep most series at home and split on the road, so I'm hoping that CC can get 2 points out of Grand Forks this weekend.

What's that Lou Holtz quote? You're never as good as everyone tells you when you win, and you're never as bad as they say when you lose. I think that applies to quite a few teams in the WCHA this year - both at the top and the bottom of the league.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                        I was trying to get the Obsession bottle posted but it didn't work.
                        Eric's Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                          I'm sure that does a good job of summing up your thoughts on the issue Goon.
                          Well there wasn't a lot to see on Sunday night, so yeah.
                          Eric's Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                            Like I said, he was posting his thoughts...

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                              SCSU Euro -

I tend to agree with your post, although I might quibble with a couple of the teams in the bands you laid out they aren't that far off of what I would put together. UND - like BSU, MTU, and other teams that are unlikely to host a playoff series - is still a dangerous team that will knock off some of the top teams despite their problems. They still have a lot of size and talent on the blueline, even though they started slowly. Their goaltending is good enough to steal a game here and there. And they still have enough top end forwards to put up a solid number of goals even if they lack the depth to do it every night. The script for a top half league finish is to sweep most series at home and split on the road, so I'm hoping that CC can get 2 points out of Grand Forks this weekend.

What's that Lou Holtz quote? You're never as good as everyone tells you when you win, and you're never as bad as they say when you lose. I think that applies to quite a few teams in the WCHA this year - both at the top and the bottom of the league.
                              This feels weird, 'cause I'm about to ask something that isn't fishing, I'm not placating, and I'm not being sarcastic:

I'm curious how you'd band them together 'cause I actually think you know what you're talking about.
                              tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                                Like I said, he was posting his thoughts...
                                It isn't clever or funny... even the second time.

Comment

Working...
                                X