• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• solovsfett
    replied
    Re: UW-Milwaukee exploring adding D-1 hockey

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
    Penn State didn't NEED 80 million, that's just what they got.

UW-Milwaukee could do it for significantly less.
    got ya. I hope it can work out one way or another for UWM but I do have major concerns over the ability to attract fans in Milwaukee. One thing the Badgers learned the hard way is that Milwaukee is a hell of a fickle market and really views hockey as an afterthought, at least judging by the last 3-4 years of the showdown (which wasn't helped by moving to sat-sun format, and an ever more deluded field)

Leave a comment:

• WeWantMore
    replied

Originally posted by tristarscoop View Post
    There was some chatter on Twitter that there was big support (read: $) behind this program idea. Not sure if that's just talk talking, but I can't say I'd be surprised. The Pettit/Bradley family has always been incredibly supportive of hockey in Milwaukee. I'd have to imagine that if this program got off the ground, they'd be involved.

It's interesting - the JS story mentions hockey in the same breath as lacrosse and rugby, but the hockey part is the thing that seems to be drawing all the attention.

The story leaked earlier this week about the consulting firm - the leak included the $87,000 price tag - but it only talked about football. The hockey news seems incredibly secondary at this point.
    I got the same sense. To me, it seemed hockey was thrown in as an afterthought.

As for where they might play, I don't know the UWM campus very well, but I would think they might like to be able to move their basketball games back on campus. If they could somehow get enough money to build an on campus basketball/hockey facility, that would be pretty great.

Edit: I found this link.
    Last edited by WeWantMore; 11-03-2011, 06:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• LynahFan
    replied

My parents-in-law are both UMW alums - I'd love for this to happen just to have a reason to trash talk them before the first ever Cornell/UMW game! Er, I mean for the good of college hockey....

Leave a comment:

• gophfan
    replied

the difference is taht penn state didnt really have a ice arena. UW milwaukee has the us cellular arena that can double for hockey.

Leave a comment:

• mariucci
    replied

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel is reporting today that UW-Milwaukee has hired a consulting firm to explore the option of adding football and men's and women's hockey along with some other minor sports.

U.S. Cellular Arena, where UW-M plays bball now used to be where the AHL's Milwaukee Admirals played before the Bradley Center. That would be a possibility for an arena situation.

We'll see...
    That would be a great move for WI and the sport. Hope it happens!

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Schwartz
    replied

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
    I'd love to see this happen and would go to games for sure (when I'm not in Madison), but this one is definitely seeing is believing. I mean if Penn State needed $80million to start-up, I just don't see where a school like UWM gets that kind of money for hockey.
    Penn State didn't NEED 80 million, that's just what they got.

UW-Milwaukee could do it for significantly less.

Leave a comment:

• solovsfett
    replied

I'd love to see this happen and would go to games for sure (when I'm not in Madison), but this one is definitely seeing is believing. I mean if Penn State needed $80million to start-up, I just don't see where a school like UWM gets that kind of money for hockey.

Leave a comment:

• NMH
    replied

There was some chatter on Twitter that there was big support (read: $) behind this program idea. Not sure if that's just talk talking, but I can't say I'd be surprised. The Pettit/Bradley family has always been incredibly supportive of hockey in Milwaukee. I'd have to imagine that if this program got off the ground, they'd be involved.

It's interesting - the JS story mentions hockey in the same breath as lacrosse and rugby, but the hockey part is the thing that seems to be drawing all the attention.

The story leaked earlier this week about the consulting firm - the leak included the $87,000 price tag - but it only talked about football. The hockey news seems incredibly secondary at this point.

Leave a comment:

• JDUBBS1280
    replied
    Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    As a soon-to-be-former resident of the Milwaukee area, I'd like to say that it's barely relevant. I personally never went to an Admirals game. Minor league hockey in a rink where I'll be bombarded with an endless parade of Jock Jams? No thank you.

Honestly, I've always thought that UWM was the least likely of the other Wisconsin D-I schools (the other two being Marquette and UW-Green Bay) to go after hockey. I'd be shocked if anything came of it, but I'd sure be excited for Milwaukee if it did happen.
    Marquette had a D1 program long ago. There is record of them playing Minnesota from 1923-1931. Granted, long ago, but they do have a history with the sport.
    Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 11-02-2011, 09:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ExileOnDaytonStreet
    replied

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
    Admirals get 6000 or so a game. Don't know if that's a ceiling, or a floor, or something that's barely relevant whatsoever. Think it might be the latter.
    As a soon-to-be-former resident of the Milwaukee area, I'd like to say that it's barely relevant. I personally never went to an Admirals game. Minor league hockey in a rink where I'll be bombarded with an endless parade of Jock Jams? No thank you.

Honestly, I've always thought that UWM was the least likely of the other Wisconsin D-I schools (the other two being Marquette and UW-Green Bay) to go after hockey. I'd be shocked if anything came of it, but I'd sure be excited for Milwaukee if it did happen.

From the Wisconsin thread:
    Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
    Marquette had a D1 program in the past.
    Yeah... but how long ago was that? The 1930s?
    Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 11-02-2011, 09:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MavHockey14
    replied
    Would be great if they do add a program.
    Surprisingly, I agree with you finally..

Leave a comment:

• WeWantMore
    replied

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
    Would anyone show up?
    Admirals get 6000 or so a game. Don't know if that's a ceiling, or a floor, or something that's barely relevant whatsoever. Think it might be the latter.

Leave a comment:

• JDUBBS1280
    replied
    UW-Milwaukee is a D-1 athletic department. D-1 basketball, baseball, soccer, ect, ect.

It would be D-1 hockey if they went through with it.
    Thanks. Good to know.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Schwartz
    replied

You mean basketball? UMD, SCSU, MSU-M are D1 in hockey, but not in everything else. So, it isn't unheard of to be D1 in some sports, but not others. I was just curious that they didn't specify the level in the article.
    UW-Milwaukee is a D-1 athletic department. D-1 basketball, baseball, soccer, ect, ect.

It would be D-1 hockey if they went through with it.

Leave a comment:

• JDUBBS1280
    replied

Would be great if they do add a program.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X