Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UW-Milwaukee exploring adding D-1 hockey

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    I think Milwaukee should start by building some outdoor hockey rinks for kids (and over-age has-beens) to play some pick-up hockey

Seriously though. It would be really cool IMO if they did add a program.
    Tell that to Craig Leipold.
    Originally posted by Skeeterman
    Lady Wore Black is a hottie.
    "I love hockey, it is such a great sport. I love how the outfielders use their baseball bats to hit the ball across the ice field, pass the punter for nothing but net shot from downtown." - Unknown

"No matter what happens in college hockey tournament, the Yankees will not win the World Series this year." - Mr. wore Black

Comment

I think Milwaukee should start by building some outdoor hockey rinks for kids (and over-age has-beens) to play some pick-up hockey

Seriously though. It would be really cool IMO if they did add a program.
      Milwaukee does have 10 indoor rinks in the metro area as well as 10 outdoor rinks and 15 HS hockey teams. Still, that's pretty small for a metro area of its size and latitude. If you limit yourself to rinks in the city itself, you have only Bradley, Pettit, Kern, Wilson and Uihlein. Milwaukee has been growing in the area of High School hockey, but the teams aren't very competitive state-wide. Most of the elite Milwaukee kids play in the Jr. Admirals system, which is itself a punching bag in the Tier 1 AAA leagues. Milwaukee has a ways to go in developing a hockey infrastructure or culture, but I think it's improving.
      Last edited by UpNorthHockey; 08-15-2012, 11:28 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
        Milwaukee does have 10 indoor rinks in the metro area as well as 10 outdoor rinks and 15 HS hockey teams. Still, that's pretty small for a metro area of its size and latitude. If you limit yourself to rinks in the city itself, you have only Bradley, Pettit, Kern, Wilson and Uihlein. Milwaukee has been growing in the area of High School hockey, but the teams aren't very competitive state-wide. Most of the elite Milwaukee kids play in the Jr. Admirals system, which is itself a punching bag in the Tier 1 AAA leagues. Milwaukee has a ways to go in developing a hockey infrastructure or culture, but I think it's improving.
        They have literally ZERO outdoor rinks (with nets and boards) in the entire Milwaukee metro area though. I've lived here for 10 years and have spent hours looking. If I'm mistaken, and there is one, let me know

Not a huge deal, but if you want to grow the sport in the area, I think that would be a great first step. Indoor ice is expensive. They don't need a outdoor rink in every city, but one or two on the North and South side would be great.

This old guy would certainly enjoy having a place to embarass myself without having to dish out the $$ to rent an indoor sheet
        Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 08-15-2012, 03:42 PM.
        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

They have literally ZERO outdoor rinks (with nets and boards) in the entire Milwaukee metro area though. I've lived here for 10 years and have spent hours looking. If I'm mistaken, and there is one, let me know

Not a huge deal, but if you want to grow the sport in the area, I think that would be a great first step. Indoor ice is expensive. They don't need a outdoor rink in every city, but one or two on the North and South side would be great.

This old guy would certainly enjoy having a place to embarass myself without having to dish out the $$ to rent an indoor sheet
          There are quite a few little places here and there to skate, and a few get nets (which are usually chained up until really late in the day), but you won't find boards anywhere.
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
            There are quite a few little places here and there to skate, and a few get nets (which are usually chained up until really late in the day), but you won't find boards anywhere.
            I'd be happy with nets. Can you give me some hints on where to try? Would be much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
              That's absolutely criminal.

I can't imagine growing up without a boarded outdoor hockey rink in town. Kind of makes me wonder why I was so bad at hockey considering I had one literally a solidly hit 3 wood away from my house.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post

I can't imagine growing up without a boarded outdoor hockey rink in town. Kind of makes me wonder why I was so bad at hockey considering I had one literally a solidly hit 3 wood away from my house.
                I swear, I'm going to get one built out here if it's the last thing I do man

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post

Cue Dubber with a lesson on Wisconsin vs. Minnesota youth hockey in 3... 2...
                  tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Milwaukee may not be a hockey hotbed, but neither are certain areas in Southern Minnesota. Look at areas in Wisconsin like Eau Claire, Wausau, Superior, Madison, and Green Bay. All are good hockey towns IMO. Like someone else mentioned, if Milwaukee got a D1 program, I think that would only strengthen interest in the sport in this area. And that would be a good thing.

Comment

Interesting that the Minnesota Wild's owner is hosting a UWM alumni event prior to a Wild game.

https://www4.uwm.edu/alumni/Regional...ota_alumni.cfm

An NCHC with UWM and Iowa State would really help tie together WMU / Miami with the western schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Star2City View Post
                        Interesting that the Minnesota Wild's owner is hosting a UWM alumni event prior to a Wild game.

An NCHC with UWM and Iowa State would really help tie together WMU / Miami with the western schools.
                        Nice find.

Comment

I would love if ISU added hockey, but it'll never happen. Maybe if U of Iowa did, there would be some push, but it still wouldn't happen. The AD has had enough stress trying to keep the Big12 together, that adding another sport would be too risky. Besides if they added another sport, I'm pretty sure they'd bring baseball back, as they already have a history with that, a conference, a usable facility and much more statewide culture associated with baseball, rather than hockey. Too bad, I'd love to see them in the NCHC, heck I'd love to see them in the remaining WCHA.

Comment

That's really interesting. I didn't know the Wild's owner was a UWM alum (one of my alma maters as well). I still think there's slim chance of another D1 hockey program coming out of the UW system. Notice that the UW system brought all their D3 teams into essentially an "in house" conference for the future. Unlike most other states, Wisconsin's state universities are centrally governed and I expect the chancellor et al would see little strategic value in giving Bucky any competition for hockey dollars, particularly with the recent attendance figures at the Kohl Center.

Comment

let's see...the NCHC bails on schools with rich DI legacies and firm dedication to their programs...for a shot at adding a couple of new bottom-feeder programs. lol. remind me, what was the point of the NCHC again?
                              nah. they'll just try to sabotage the nWCHA in a few years.
                              Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

Originally posted by blackswampboy View Post
                                let's see...the NCHC bails on schools with rich DI legacies and firm dedication to their programs...for a shot at adding a couple of new bottom-feeder programs. lol. remind me, what was the point of the NCHC again?
                                nah. they'll just try to sabotage the nWCHA in a few years.
                                Like the Big Ten and Penn St. The golden but naive era of college hockey has passed away. Understand the mourning, but markets and money to operate a program at a high level matter.

Like you state, maybe UWM and Iowa State can get in the nWCHA, but their aim would be the NCHC, much like BGSU and MSU-Mankato's desire.

Comment

Working...
                                X