UW-Milwaukee exploring adding D-1 hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lady wore Black View Post
    You are either A) one of the many burbs of the Milwaukee area and are oblivious or B) not from the area at all. Mind you all the "student housing" is being built a mile south of the campus. IMO, that is not really student housing. It is off-campus housing that is ridiculously jacked up because the UWM owns it. It also doesn't help that UWM did not renew the contract with Milwaukee County for parking at McKinley Park, so it is forcing students to find housing close to campus because of the lack of parking. Now go back to the Klotsche Center and mope.
    Hooya Hooya!
    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Re: UW-Milwaukee exploring adding D-1 hockey

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
      Hooya Hooya!
      Hooya Hooya!
      Originally posted by Skeeterman
      Lady Wore Black is a hottie.
      "I love hockey, it is such a great sport. I love how the outfielders use their baseball bats to hit the ball across the ice field, pass the punter for nothing but net shot from downtown." - Unknown

"No matter what happens in college hockey tournament, the Yankees will not win the World Series this year." - Mr. wore Black

Comment

You are either A) one of the many burbs of the Milwaukee area and are oblivious or B) not from the area at all. Mind you all the "student housing" is being built a mile south of the campus. IMO, that is not really student housing. It is off-campus housing that is ridiculously jacked up because the UWM owns it. It also doesn't help that UWM did not renew the contract with Milwaukee County for parking at McKinley Park, so it is forcing students to find housing close to campus because of the lack of parking. Now go back to the Klotsche Center and mope.
        It's unfortunate if students think they have to move because they can't park at the marina. That seems pretty ridiculous to me. I assume that means they aren't aware of their other, also free, options. Parking and space have always been and always will be a problem at UWM, unless they pick up the school and move it. I think UWM has done a relatively good job with the amount of public transportation and park and ride lots that are available, as well as expanding the campus with a limited amount of space. IMO, the Kenilworth apartments are reasonably priced for the area, considering what they include and the number of amenities, and my understanding is the residence hall prices are on par with the prices at Sandburg.

I don't disagree with anything illwauk said, but as far as a new on-campus arena.. I will believe it when I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
          It's unfortunate if students think they have to move because they can't park at the marina. That seems pretty ridiculous to me. I assume that means they aren't aware of their other, also free, options. Parking and space have always been and always will be a problem at UWM, unless they pick up the school and move it. I think UWM has done a relatively good job with the amount of public transportation and park and ride lots that are available, as well as expanding the campus with a limited amount of space. IMO, the Kenilworth apartments are reasonably priced for the area, considering what they include and the number of amenities, and my understanding is the residence hall prices are on par with the prices at Sandburg.

I don't disagree with anything illwauk said, but as far as a new on-campus arena.. I will believe it when I see it.
          There is one other free parking area, but it is half the size of the marina. It also doesn't help that it is on the north side of town and is always full. You would have to be there at 6am just to get a spot. I know several people that had to move closer to campus because of the lack of parking available. I am not complaining about the public transportation. It is great when you are in the County area. There is no public transportation from Kenosha to UWM and the park and ride is a 2 hour bus ride and only runs 2-3 times a day. Worse, it starts at College Ave.
          Originally posted by Skeeterman
          Lady Wore Black is a hottie.
          "I love hockey, it is such a great sport. I love how the outfielders use their baseball bats to hit the ball across the ice field, pass the punter for nothing but net shot from downtown." - Unknown

"No matter what happens in college hockey tournament, the Yankees will not win the World Series this year." - Mr. wore Black

Comment

Actually, I've been on the east since I started high school, but I'm sure you know the cliche about what happens when you assume.

Regardless of whether or not you think the North Ave and Kenilwoth Square dorms qualify as "on-campus," they're no further away than the Kohl Center is from the west end of UW-Madison's campus. What matters is... whether in school-sponsored housing or private rentals... 15,000 of UWM's students live in the campus area. That puts us on par with North Dakota and UNO, and even gives us an edge on schools like UMD and St. Cloud.

Could a UWM hockey team expect to see support similar to any of those schools? Who knows? But right now our baseball team is playing in Glendale at a venue that's barely adequate for a D3 school. Common sense dictates that if we're going to spend $60 Million on an on-campus arena, we may as well drop baseball... which is dying at the collegiate level in this part of the country, anyway... and use those scholarships for another sport that could use the arena. Besides, it's not like Milwaukee's support of collegiate hockey is completely unheard of... the Bradley Center has hosted the Frozen Four three times now (1993, 1997 and 2006) and every single game for all three years was sold out.
            Last edited by illwauk; 08-10-2012, 01:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by illwauk View Post
              it's not like Milwaukee's support of collegiate hockey is completely unheard of... the Bradley Center has hosted the Frozen Four three times now (1993, 1997 and 2006) and every single game for all three years was sold out.
              This thread was dead when it started, but it's the off season so we'll keep it going. The Frozen Four is going to be well attended regardless of where you put it because it has national draw like the Super Bowl. You can move the location but the fans will always show up. Unless you are saying that UWM will have one home game every 6 years and it will be sold out, I don't see the logic in the comparison. Most of the folks that fill the seats for those Frozen Fours were not from Milwaukee or WI in my estimation. They are the same people that fill them every year and they go city to city to follow the championships.

I think the UWM D-I hockey discussion is pretty much dead. But on the upside I heard MATC is going D-I in hockey... discuss.
              Ryan J
              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
              Originally posted by geezer
              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
              Originally posted by manurespreader
              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                This thread was dead when it started, but it's the off season so we'll keep it going. The Frozen Four is going to be well attended regardless of where you put it because it has national draw like the Super Bowl. You can move the location but the fans will always show up. Unless you are saying that UWM will have one home game every 6 years and it will be sold out, I don't see the logic in the comparison. Most of the folks that fill the seats for those Frozen Fours were not from Milwaukee or WI in my estimation. They are the same people that fill them every year and they go city to city to follow the championships.

I think the UWM D-I hockey discussion is pretty much dead. But on the upside I heard MATC is going D-I in hockey... discuss.
                Ryan J
                MATC? Mass-Amherst at Twin Cities? I didn't know that they had a branch there.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  MATC?
                  Milwaukee Area Technical College... "The Fighting Mechanics"
                  Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                  https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                  Originally posted by geezer
                  Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                  Originally posted by manurespreader
                  ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

I've had gas that's lasted longer and been taken more seriously than the idea behind this thread.
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Re: UW-Milwaukee exploring adding D-1 hockey

You need to watch what you eat.
                      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                        I've had gas that's lasted longer and been taken more seriously than the idea behind this thread.
                        No more Old Style for you. Too much Kraeusening.

Comment

Awesome.
                          "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Yeah, this thread is so trivial that there's six pages of discussion... exactly the "logic" I've come to expect from insecure Bucky fans.

The funding for the arena has already been approved. Milwaukee also has a baseball team that plays (a.) what is a dying sport at the collegiate level in the upper Midwest (b.) in another town (c.) at what is, at best, a D3 facility (d.) no closer to campus than the local Major League club. You think there might be the slightest chance the Milwaukee athletic department might find it a better use of those scholarships and the money they're spending on a new arena to start a program that could play on-campus in what would be its flagship venue?

Comment

Originally posted by illwauk View Post
                              Yeah, this thread is so trivial that there's six pages of discussion... exactly the "logic" I've come to expect from insecure Bucky fans.

The funding for the arena has already been approved. Milwaukee also has a baseball team that plays (a.) what is a dying sport at the collegiate level in the upper Midwest (b.) in another town (c.) at what is, at best, a D3 facility (d.) no closer to campus than the local Major League club. You think there might be the slightest chance the Milwaukee athletic department might find it a better use of those scholarships and the money they're spending on a new arena to start a program that could play on-campus in what would be its flagship venue?
                              Tell me more about this facility.

Comment

• Originally posted by illwauk View Post
                                Six pages of dismissing every aspect of the notion of UWM starting hockey, from the facility that only exists in theory to the parts where not even college hockey fans who have lived in Milwaukee think there's a market for it.

But yeah, I'm the only one dismissing it, and surely it must be because I'm a Badger. *thumbs up*
                                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                                X